looking to transfer to GULC from USC...what are my chances?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shmoo597

looking to transfer to GULC from USC...what are my chances?

Postby shmoo597 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:49 am

Well first semester grades are mostly in.

I did better than expected. I am missing 1 of my grades, but I expect my GPA to be in the 3.59-3.63 range. I go to USC. The mean GPA is 3.3.

USC does not rank past the top 10% (which in the past has been 3.66), so I am not sure where exactly rank - I assume somewhere in the 10-20% range. According to USC, the "variance" from this 3.3 mean is 0.15174, whatever that means...does anyone know if/how I can use this number to estimate my rank on a bell curve?

Do I have a decent shot at getting into GULC early action, or if I maintain my grades next semester, anywhere else in the T14?

Thanks for any info.

los blancos

Re: looking to transfer to GULC from USC...what are my chances?

Postby los blancos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:58 am

Am I the only one who thinks that your prospects in the top 10-20% at USC are better than transferring to GULC and throwing out your GPA? Shouldn't USC place at least the top 15% of its class into BigLaw even ITE?
Last edited by los blancos on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:06 am

boilercat wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that your prospects in the top 10-20% at USC are better than transferring to GULC and throwing out your rank? Shouldn't USC place at least the top 15% of its class into BigLaw even ITE?

+1
do you wanna work in socal or california in general? because you have to take that into consideration

Nazrix

Postby Nazrix » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:10 am

be careful about OCI
Last edited by Nazrix on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nazrix

Postby Nazrix » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:19 am

also, USC doesn't rank outside of top 10, so, it might be like people who transfer into top 20s, often get screwed for guys at T3s and T2s who get rankings.
Last edited by Nazrix on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nazrix

Postby Nazrix » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:21 am

make sure you do at least 1 OCI, USC will kick you out of their OCI i think, you might want to see if you will know in time at GULC to do OCI bids, and that your OCI bids are at the same time as GULC 1Ls, if you go last you will be out of it.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:02 am

If you've already got good grades at USC, is there a reason you're wanting to move to GULC? This question particularly holds if you're planning on practicing in Cali; if you want NYC biglaw, just be cognizant of the fact that Gtown might not serve you well at OCI since you won't have a class rank in their school.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 am

GULC does have the advantage of a more extensive OCI (just in sheer number of employers that show up).

I think your transfer chances are pretty good. The nice thing is you can apply to transfer at GULC with just 1st semester grades. Might be good insurance against a 2nd semester drop.

just be cognizant of the fact that Gtown might not serve you well at OCI since you won't have a class rank in their school.

GULC doesn't rank anyways.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I am interested in transferring for several reasons. Firstly, I am hesitant to wanting to practice law in LA. DC, NYC, and SF all seem much more attractive to me, and I think (am I wrong?) that GULC would give me way more geographic mobility/national prestige. Secondly, I really do not like living in LA, especially near USC. I've always wanted to live in DC and there is big possibility of me living/practicing there. As you prob know, USC places like 90% of its grads in the LA area.

However, I'd have to balance that with losing my 1L GPA, and my 10k a year scholarship at USC, and moving away. I'm not sure that transferring to GULC is the right choice, but I'd like the option and curious about my chances.

Nazrix - what are you saying about OCI? I dont understand.

Also, do transfers have the chance to try out for law review?

Thanks.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Also, do transfers have the chance to try out for law review?

Yes, there are law review spots reserved for transfers.

You will also be able to do OCI. I have a friend I will be working with post-graduation who did just fine as a transfer (from a much lower ranked school) at OCI.

I think your case for transfer is almost slam-dunk if you are wanting to leave California.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”