San Diego jobs from Cornell?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
como

San Diego jobs from Cornell?

Postby como » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:32 pm

How tough would it be to get a gig in SD without family ties to Cali and coming from Cornell? Anyone have any experience with this?

RVP11

Re: San Diego jobs from Cornell?

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:02 am

como wrote:How tough would it be to get a gig in SD without family ties to Cali and coming from Cornell? Anyone have any experience with this?

I don't have any experience, but I imagine it's pretty tough. San Diego is a highly desired secondary market yet doesn't have a ton of firms taking large classes. Similar to Seattle and Denver in that way.

Are you from another western state, though? Do you have experience living in California for a short period of time or at least vacationing there? That might help some.

I think CA firms worry about people thinking they're going to be living in paradise, realizing even California has its faults, and jumping ship back to a major eastern market.

como

Postby como » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:22 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
como wrote:How tough would it be to get a gig in SD without family ties to Cali and coming from Cornell? Anyone have any experience with this?

I don't have any experience, but I imagine it's pretty tough. San Diego is a highly desired secondary market yet doesn't have a ton of firms taking large classes. Similar to Seattle and Denver in that way.

Are you from another western state, though? Do you have experience living in California for a short period of time or at least vacationing there? That might help some.

I think CA firms worry about people thinking they're going to be living in paradise, realizing even California has its faults, and jumping ship back to a major eastern market.

I've got some friends out there and I love it there. My intuition is that it would be much easier than LA though, since SD is off the radar of many, whereas everyone thinks they can live like the boys on Entourage if only they moved to the Angels.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:25 am

Your best odds are joining Navy JAG and hoping they station you at San Diego for your first post.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:32 am

como wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

I've got some friends out there and I love it there. My intuition is that it would be much easier than LA though, since SD is off the radar of many, whereas everyone thinks they can live like the boys on Entourage if only they moved to the Angels.

The difference is SD is a much smaller market, and you'll have few (if any) SD firms coming to your OCI. Maybe your grades may not need to be as high as they might need to be for LA/Bay, but as with other secondary markets, it might take a bit of hustle on your part to get the interviews.

I, too, am a non-Californian looking at the California markets. My limited research leads me to believe that LA would be an easier place to go from an eastern T14.

como

Postby como » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 am

Hmm...discouraging, but not entirely. I'm a hustla, so I'll just have to keep trying.

BattlingBarrister

Postby BattlingBarrister » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 am

to misquote the big lebowski, 'stay the fuck out of san diego!'

como

Postby como » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:19 am

BattlingBarrister wrote:to misquote the big lebowski, 'stay the fuck out of san diego!'

La Jolla would be just fine.

BattlingBarrister

Postby BattlingBarrister » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:21 am

como wrote:
BattlingBarrister wrote:to misquote the big lebowski, 'stay the fuck out of san diego!'

Triple overhead at blacks beach tomorrow. :)

como

Postby como » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:26 am

BattlingBarrister wrote:
como wrote:

Triple overhead at blacks beach tomorrow. :)

That, my friend, is my motivation. Lucky as hell, man..

BattlingBarrister

Postby BattlingBarrister » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:34 am

Its pretty great here. I don't really have much useful advice for you other than to contact firms directly over the phone and see what you can pull.

como

Postby como » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:40 am

BattlingBarrister wrote:Its pretty great here. I don't really have much useful advice for you other than to contact firms directly over the phone and see what you can pull.

Hey, thanks man. I've got a career services meeting tomorrow, so maybe I can get hooked up with some transplanted alumni. Just shred some for me and enjoy your city. You've got a lot to enjoy.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 am

como wrote:

other than blacks la jolla has nothing to offer, unless you're a grown up.

however, once you graduate law school you are officially a "grown-up" so have fun!

como

Postby como » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:47 am

nematoad wrote:
como wrote:

however, once you graduate law school you are officially a "grown-up" so have fun!

Hey, man. I would be even happier in north county anyway. I'm probably going to take awhile to get through this 'growing-up' phase.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:16 am

nematoad wrote:
como wrote:

Grown up = rich enough to afford La Jolla? :|

I'll take Solana Beach/Del Mar or even Encinitas.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:28 am

It seems like you don't really have ties to the area other than friends, which aren't really good enough. If you can't get yourself some better connections to SD, it's going to be pretty tough to get a SD job from Cornell. The UCLA and USC names carry much better into all parts of SoCal, from what my few contacts in LA/SD tell me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”