Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Transferwannabe
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 am

Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby Transferwannabe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 am

Hey,

I'm a regular poster on this forum, but don't want to out myself. I go to Cornell and just got my first semester grades. I'm only a couple hundredths shy of the top 10% (historical) cut-off. Is it worth trying to transfer to HY? What are the chances of it happening?

It seems most of the historical information out there is T50, TTT, etc. transfering to T14. Haven't seen much on my case...

Thanks!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 am

I saw another thread that said that Yale tends to only take people from lower T14 who were eligible for LR. However, Harvard has a much bigger transfer class so it's possible.

But I have no idea how accurate that information really is.

Transferwannabe
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby Transferwannabe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Yeah, I kind of figured H would be easier based on the numbers... Any thoughts on whether such a transfer would be worth it? (I have no money at Cornell).

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 pm

..

User avatar
Celibidache
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby Celibidache » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Transferwannabe wrote:Hey,

I'm a regular poster on this forum, but don't want to out myself. I go to Cornell and just got my first semester grades. I'm only a couple hundredths shy of the top 10% (historical) cut-off. Is it worth trying to transfer to HY? What are the chances of it happening?

It seems most of the historical information out there is T50, TTT, etc. transfering to T14. Haven't seen much on my case...

Thanks!

For future reference, if you create an alt, you need to notify a mod first.


Here, have an umbrella.

Image

It should keep the piss off your parade.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 pm

..

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:20 pm

FWIW, I know a guy who transferred to Stanford from Duke. I haven't gotten a hard figure, but he implied he was top 10%.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Curious to know as well.

MarkTwain
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:22 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby MarkTwain » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:52 pm

Class rank among transfers to Stanford seemed to vary substantially (this year at least) by the school from which the student transferred, but not everyone is top 10%. But transfers also came from a much greater range of schools than many people would think (every T-10 other than Harvard sent one here, including Yale), and then a few came from T20-40 schools.

Edit: there is no transfer from Duke this year.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby underdawg » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:25 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Celibidache wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Transferwannabe wrote:Hey,

I'm a regular poster on this forum, but don't want to out myself. I go to Cornell and just got my first semester grades. I'm only a couple hundredths shy of the top 10% (historical) cut-off. Is it worth trying to transfer to HY? What are the chances of it happening?

It seems most of the historical information out there is T50, TTT, etc. transfering to T14. Haven't seen much on my case...

Thanks!

For future reference, if you create an alt, you need to notify a mod first.


Here, have an umbrella.

Image

It should keep the piss off your parade.

Sometimes, I think I'm getting too soft on people. The standard course of action for alt creation is to simply ban both the OP's main account and the alt.

Anyways, mod sass is getting you (not the OP) a one week ban.

are you fucking serious?

where does ken find these weenies?

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby apper123 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:26 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Celibidache wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Transferwannabe wrote:Hey,

I'm a regular poster on this forum, but don't want to out myself. I go to Cornell and just got my first semester grades. I'm only a couple hundredths shy of the top 10% (historical) cut-off. Is it worth trying to transfer to HY? What are the chances of it happening?

It seems most of the historical information out there is T50, TTT, etc. transfering to T14. Haven't seen much on my case...

Thanks!

For future reference, if you create an alt, you need to notify a mod first.


Here, have an umbrella.

Image

It should keep the piss off your parade.

Sometimes, I think I'm getting too soft on people. The standard course of action for alt creation is to simply ban both the OP's main account and the alt.

Anyways, mod sass is getting you (not the OP) a one week ban.


You're joking here, right?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:39 pm

..

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby KMaine » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey, OP. Congrats on doing better than I did this semester :mrgreen:. Anyway, I think, if it is something you want to do, it may be an advantage, and you may have a shot with a good story.

In looking at the Harvard website, they seem to really want a reason why you want to be in Cambridge (read, I think: more than prestige). The one thing I might ask the people at HYS (or perhaps people more impartial) is how transfers have traditionally fared at OCI. With your class rank here, you will probably have a great chance to land something good at OCI. If you do leave, try to leave early to help me class rank.

emoticons777
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby emoticons777 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:12 pm

YCrevolution wrote:


Anyways, mod sass is getting you (not the OP) a one week ban.


. . . what is up with the mods lately?

Transferwannabe
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby Transferwannabe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm

KMaine wrote:Hey, OP. Congrats on doing better than I did this semester :mrgreen:. Anyway, I think, if it is something you want to do, it may be an advantage, and you may have a shot with a good story.

In looking at the Harvard website, they seem to really want a reason why you want to be in Cambridge (read, I think: more than prestige). The one thing I might ask the people at HYS (or perhaps people more impartial) is how transfers have traditionally fared at OCI. With your class rank here, you will probably have a great chance to land something good at OCI. If you do leave, try to leave early to help me class rank.


:) That is the rub. Will transferring improve my career opportunities, or will they be the same... After all, law school is more or less a business decision. Also, Harvard was always sort of a dream school of mine...

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby avacado111 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 pm

ycrev is an excellent moderator. Honestly, WTF... he has dedicated so much time to TLS and LSP (how many hours do you think he spends maybe just crunching data)? He's really helpful and answers everyone's questions honestly.

emoticons777
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby emoticons777 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:28 pm

avacado111 wrote:ycrev is an excellent moderator. Honestly, WTF... he has dedicated so much time to TLS and LSP (how many hours do you think he spends maybe just crunching data)? He's really helpful and answers everyone's questions honestly.

While his contributions are definitely helpful and welcome, banning a poster (for any amount of time) for one off-color comment seems callous, unnecessary, and dictatorish. If there is some behind the scenes action, such as the poster being warned a previous time or past negative conduct, then that changes things.

Edit: My apologies for distracting from the OP.
Last edited by emoticons777 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby Dick Whitman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 pm

Transferwannabe wrote:
KMaine wrote:Hey, OP. Congrats on doing better than I did this semester :mrgreen:. Anyway, I think, if it is something you want to do, it may be an advantage, and you may have a shot with a good story.

In looking at the Harvard website, they seem to really want a reason why you want to be in Cambridge (read, I think: more than prestige). The one thing I might ask the people at HYS (or perhaps people more impartial) is how transfers have traditionally fared at OCI. With your class rank here, you will probably have a great chance to land something good at OCI. If you do leave, try to leave early to help me class rank.


:) That is the rub. Will transferring improve my career opportunities, or will they be the same... After all, law school is more or less a business decision. Also, Harvard was always sort of a dream school of mine...


I think one of the nice things about transfering is that you still get to take advantage of your 1L grades during OCI, but your firm bio will list the more prestigious school you graduated from at the end of the day.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:04 pm

emoticons777 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:ycrev is an excellent moderator. Honestly, WTF... he has dedicated so much time to TLS and LSP (how many hours do you think he spends maybe just crunching data)? He's really helpful and answers everyone's questions honestly.

While his contributions are definitely helpful and welcome, banning a poster (for any amount of time) for one off-color comment seems callous, unnecessary, and dictatorish. If there is some behind the scenes action, such as the poster being warned a previous time or past negative conduct, then that changes things.


He said a few posts above the guy he banned was using an unauthorized alt to make his off-color comments, it wasn't just the off-color comments.

Can people get back to discussing transfers now? I'm curious.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby slider » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:24 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
emoticons777 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:ycrev is an excellent moderator. Honestly, WTF... he has dedicated so much time to TLS and LSP (how many hours do you think he spends maybe just crunching data)? He's really helpful and answers everyone's questions honestly.

While his contributions are definitely helpful and welcome, banning a poster (for any amount of time) for one off-color comment seems callous, unnecessary, and dictatorish. If there is some behind the scenes action, such as the poster being warned a previous time or past negative conduct, then that changes things.


He said a few posts above the guy he banned was using an unauthorized alt to make his off-color comments, it wasn't just the off-color comments.

Can people get back to discussing transfers now? I'm curious.


This.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby como » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 pm

I feel like there are four people this could be, although I have a guess that I would put money on. At any rate, congrats to you! H is always H, but you'll probably have a spot at LR and be pick of the litter if you stay. Then again, you'll be in Ithaca! Good luck at Harvard (although I would choose Stanford) 8)

I'll buy you a drink at rulie's on Sunday and mum's the word.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Intimately related to this query: Do high 1L grades = 2L scholarship?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Intimately related to this query: Do high 1L grades = 2L scholarship?

From what I've read, generally only if you threaten to transfer. You thinking of pulling the corbomite maneuver, too?

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby como » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Intimately related to this query: Do high 1L grades = 2L scholarship?


Maybe if by "2L scholarship" you mean "employed".

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Low T14 to HYS Transfer??

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:57 pm

The mod abuse I've noticed on these forums lately is ridiculous.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArtistOfManliness, Fed_Atty, houritsu, narddawg, pancakes3, sr1986, theave, Uncivil Procedure and 19 guests