What is the best book for an introduction to legal reasoning Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: What is the best book for an introduction to legal reasoning

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:30 am

This is dumb, just go to class and read prior year's exams samples. No commercial book will explain this for you better

Buck Strickland

New

Post by Buck Strickland » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Helmholtz wrote:"The Legal Analyst: A Toolkit for Thinking about the Law" by Farnsworth is excellent for an introduction (Eric Posner, Eugene Volokh, and Saul Levmore co-wrote some of the chapters).
I recently finished reading this book and thought it was excellent. I read several books that are often recommended to incoming 1Ls, and this was by far the best.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:59 pm

jbagelboy wrote:This is dumb, just go to class and read prior year's exams samples. No commercial book will explain this for you better
I actually think Schauer's book adds value that reading exams won't do. I would actually suggest it to 0Ls b/c it doesn't really get into substantive law at all, but instead is all about the process of analyzing law, and so I think it could make the 1L learning curve (i.e., the 'WTF am I supposed to be doing' curve) less steep.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm

skerz0 wrote:I'm thinking of studying law, thus so far, I'm only a complete neophyte and tyro. Which books would you recommend for me to self-read, from the above, or mayhap others which haven't been presented yet?
You might read some Garner on legal writing, too; hopefully that will help you break the annoying habit of using overly convoluted sentence structures and words (wrongly, I might add) in an attempt to make yourself sound smart. Straightforward and succinct writing is key.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”