What is the best book for an introduction to legal reasoning Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nycparalegal

Bronze

What is the best book for an introduction to legal reasoning

Post by nycparalegal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:50 pm

As the subject of this post suggests, I'd like to get feedback from people on which book they thought was the best primer for legal reasoning (e.g., Bramble Bush, Thinking Like A Lawyer, or John Delaney's Intro to Legal Reasoning, etc.)
Last edited by nycparalegal on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: What is the best book for an introduction to legal reasoning

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Funny enough, I'd say the best book for an intro to legal reasoning is called "Introduction to Legal Reasoning." By Delaney I think.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Delaney has two books worth reading. The first is introduction to legal reasoning, which teaches you how to read cases and has specific exercises. The second is how to do your best on law school exams, which is about how to produce legal arguments. I've found everything in the law exam book carries over to legal memoranda. Delaney's books are top notch. I recommend both of them.

britishtoxicity

New

Post by britishtoxicity » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 pm

So is Delaney's book the best?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:35 pm

britishtoxicity wrote:So is Delaney's book the best?
I though Schauer's Thinking Like A Lawyer was pretty good . . .

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 pm

Delaney's two books cover legal reasoning, but their scope is very narrow. Other books in this thread are also good bets for legal reasoning.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Not exactly on the legal reasoning track, but 5 Types of Legal Arguments by Huhn is a great book. The book gives clear distinctions between plain text, policy, intent, precedent and tradition argumentation. Also, The Legal Analyst was a good book.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:26 am

I loved Legal Analyst. A nice, basic primer on law and economics.

I bought Schauer's book but never read it all the way through. I thought it was boring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:06 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Have you read both? Because I'm looking for some comparative insight. I was planning on reading only one book during my last semester of UG for law school and I've kinda narrowed it down to these two.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:53 am

jerjon2 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Have you read both? Because I'm looking for some comparative insight. I was planning on reading only one book during my last semester of UG for law school and I've kinda narrowed it down to these two.
Delaney's is a workbook, not just a 'reading' book if that changes things for you.

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 am

samiseaborn wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Delaney's is a workbook, not just a 'reading' book if that changes things for you.
It does, thanks, I think I will get Thinking Like a Lawyer then. I have enough work to do right now...

brigun

New

Post by brigun » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Would anyone recommend Logic for Lawyers : A Guide to Clear Legal Thinking by Ruggero J. Aldisert? How is this compared to the Delaney books?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brigun

New

Post by brigun » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:18 pm

brigun wrote:Would anyone recommend Logic for Lawyers : A Guide to Clear Legal Thinking by Ruggero J. Aldisert? How is this compared to the Delaney books?
*bump*

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:28 pm

brigun wrote:Would anyone recommend Logic for Lawyers : A Guide to Clear Legal Thinking by Ruggero J. Aldisert? How is this compared to the Delaney books?
Haven't read the Delaney book, but I just got this in the mail today and I'm about halfway through. Pretty incredible book so far: well-written, detailed, lots of references to real cases (as opposed to endless "no vehicles in the park" hypos)... A good connection between some of the books I read for LSAT Prep (Logic Made Easy, A Rulebook for Arguments, Informal Logic) and the actual law

Übermensch

New

Post by Übermensch » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:36 pm

I used this book for a class, and thought it was terrible. Do not buy it. It focuses on informal logic, mainly stuff you would learn in a lower-level Philosophy class, by using random bits from cases. Most of the time, the author/judge usually just quotes himself and provides commentary on his opinions. The commentary is usually very disconnected from the case because the opinions are divorced from their context. The professor for my class actually decided to never use the book again.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:40 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
I want to +1 Schauer's book. It's pretty solid and straightforward. He cites to himself a whole lot, which I found entertaining, but it doesn't really detract from the usefulness of the book at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Übermensch wrote:
I used this book for a class, and thought it was terrible. Do not buy it. It focuses on informal logic, mainly stuff you would learn in a lower-level Philosophy class, by using random bits from cases. Most of the time, the author/judge usually just quotes himself and provides commentary on his opinions. The commentary is usually very disconnected from the case because the opinions are divorced from their context. The professor for my class actually decided to never use the book again.
I agree that larger excerpts from the cases would be helpful in providing some context, but the excerpts are mainly there to provide illustrations of different logical concepts (which are indeed the stuff you would learn in a lower-level Philosophy class), so too much might distract from that purpose. Overall, I think it's better than the other Legal Reasoning book I read, Thinking like a Lawyer by Kenneth Vandevelde.

henry flower

Bronze

Post by henry flower » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
I want to +1 Schauer's book. It's pretty solid and straightforward. He cites to himself a whole lot, which I found entertaining, but it doesn't really detract from the usefulness of the book at all.
This is in the mail, on the way. Thanks for the recommendation!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
FWIW, it's kind of hard to write anything on jurisprudence and not cite to Schauer. And it's impossible to discuss rules versus standards without citing Schauer. (which is even more reason to read Schauer)

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 am

"The Legal Analyst: A Toolkit for Thinking about the Law" by Farnsworth is excellent for an introduction (Eric Posner, Eugene Volokh, and Saul Levmore co-wrote some of the chapters).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skerz0

New

Post by skerz0 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm thinking of studying law, thus so far, I'm only a complete neophyte and tyro. Which books would you recommend for me to self-read, from the above, or mayhap others which haven't been presented yet?

rivermaker

Bronze

Post by rivermaker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:48 pm

A time to kill by John Grisham. It teaches about cool down period for murder.

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:42 pm

mary had a little lamb

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 pm

our dean wrote "The Legal Analyst" and I recommend it. It's really good for setting up your brain for torts in a big way, and contracts as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”