Recommendation from a median grade professor?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
VincentChase
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:16 am

Recommendation from a median grade professor?

Postby VincentChase » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 am

I was at the median in a class, but really participated in there, knew my stuff, knew the professor, etc., etc. Probably just tanked a couple issues on a hypo and ... voila ... you know how that can happen.

A possible summer opportunity wants recommenders. Should I only go with the above-median classes or would it be OK to get it from a guy who gave me a B+?

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Recommendation from a median grade professor?

Postby napolnic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:34 am

VincentChase wrote:I was at the median in a class, but really participated in there, knew my stuff, knew the professor, etc., etc. Probably just tanked a couple issues on a hypo and ... voila ... you know how that can happen.

A possible summer opportunity wants recommenders. Should I only go with the above-median classes or would it be OK to get it from a guy who gave me a B+?


You might want to talk to the professor about your exam first, but I really see no problem in asking a professor from a class you were median in for a recommendation. In fact, I remember one professor saying that he would rather have as his researcher someone who was either median or slightly above than someone who was the top grade in his class. Not a completely analogous situation, but something to think about.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Recommendation from a median grade professor?

Postby king3780 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 am

napolnic wrote:
VincentChase wrote:I was at the median in a class, but really participated in there, knew my stuff, knew the professor, etc., etc. Probably just tanked a couple issues on a hypo and ... voila ... you know how that can happen.

A possible summer opportunity wants recommenders. Should I only go with the above-median classes or would it be OK to get it from a guy who gave me a B+?


You might want to talk to the professor about your exam first, but I really see no problem in asking a professor from a class you were median in for a recommendation. In fact, I remember one professor saying that he would rather have as his researcher someone who was either median or slightly above than someone who was the top grade in his class. Not a completely analogous situation, but something to think about.


Did the prof give a rationale behind this?

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Recommendation from a median grade professor?

Postby Bankhead » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:24 pm

king3780 wrote:
napolnic wrote:
VincentChase wrote:I was at the median in a class, but really participated in there, knew my stuff, knew the professor, etc., etc. Probably just tanked a couple issues on a hypo and ... voila ... you know how that can happen.

A possible summer opportunity wants recommenders. Should I only go with the above-median classes or would it be OK to get it from a guy who gave me a B+?


You might want to talk to the professor about your exam first, but I really see no problem in asking a professor from a class you were median in for a recommendation. In fact, I remember one professor saying that he would rather have as his researcher someone who was either median or slightly above than someone who was the top grade in his class. Not a completely analogous situation, but something to think about.


Did the prof give a rationale behind this?


I would imagine it's something like "the median student will know their role and shut their face".

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Recommendation from a median grade professor?

Postby napolnic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:38 pm

king3780 wrote:
napolnic wrote:
VincentChase wrote:I was at the median in a class, but really participated in there, knew my stuff, knew the professor, etc., etc. Probably just tanked a couple issues on a hypo and ... voila ... you know how that can happen.

A possible summer opportunity wants recommenders. Should I only go with the above-median classes or would it be OK to get it from a guy who gave me a B+?


You might want to talk to the professor about your exam first, but I really see no problem in asking a professor from a class you were median in for a recommendation. In fact, I remember one professor saying that he would rather have as his researcher someone who was either median or slightly above than someone who was the top grade in his class. Not a completely analogous situation, but something to think about.


Did the prof give a rationale behind this?

You know, I'm not sure he did. I just assumed it was that he would rather have a hard working median than a super genius A+er.

Oblomov
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:16 am

Re: Recommendation from a median grade professor?

Postby Oblomov » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:41 pm

A good rec is a good rec. They already want your transcript don't they? Now they want to know what someone who has worked with you thinks of you.

VincentChase
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:16 am

Re: Recommendation from a median grade professor?

Postby VincentChase » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Oblomov wrote:A good rec is a good rec. They already want your transcript don't they? Now they want to know what someone who has worked with you thinks of you.


Yeah. I guess it's more that I feel slightly uncomfortable asking the professor for the recommendation after slightly botching his exam.

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: Recommendation from a median grade professor?

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Straight from a professor's mouth: there are people to whom she gave C's that she would hire in an instant, and there are people to whom she gave A's that she wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Step 1, talk to the professor first. A recommendation that says you'd be a good fit at XYZ law firm is just as valuable as the grade.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests