Working out In Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Snooker

Re: Working out In Law School

Postby Snooker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:16 am

I work out 4-5 days a week before exams and every day during exams. I find the worst thing you can do to yourself is burn all the brain cells out. Get good sleep, stay in good shape, eat well, and you'll be in fighting condition.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:32 am

DCD wrote:
atlantalaw wrote:
DCD wrote:If you spend ~40 hours a week on law school related shit, you cant find 40 minutes sometime throughout the day to work out?

of course Im a 0L so I dont really know.. do you spend/plan to spend more than 40 hours/week on law school related shit? Excluding finals time.

coming from someone who can find the time to work out...lol at 40 hrs/wk studying.

I had always heard this to be a reasonable estimate.. too low or too high?

for me, too low. maybe it works for other people, but NO ONE i know only spends 40 hrs/wk. even the ultimate slacker in my section spends more time studying than that. i haven't gotten a lot of grades back yet, so i don't know if my approach works. i spent about 12 hrs/day at the library, and probably another 12 hours over the weekend, totalling 72 hrs/wk, assuming i don't suck at math.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:50 am

DCD wrote:
atlantalaw wrote:
DCD wrote:If you spend ~40 hours a week on law school related shit, you cant find 40 minutes sometime throughout the day to work out?

of course Im a 0L so I dont really know.. do you spend/plan to spend more than 40 hours/week on law school related shit? Excluding finals time.

coming from someone who can find the time to work out...lol at 40 hrs/wk studying.

Way too low. I spent more than 40 hours a week doing law school stuff (studying + student orgs + journal) the very first week of school, when things are at their lightest.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 am

The last two weeks before finals started, and the days between finals, I was literally studying 14 hours a day. I was on the treadmill studying at the gym and I was reading while I ate.

A couple times I'd take a break by watching Law & Order or Raising the Bar, but even then I'd be trying to spot and pick apart the legal arguments in the shows. :wink:

Boalt1L

Postby Boalt1L » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 am

I weightlift about 5 times a week on average. I wouldn't give it up for anything. I'd say my workload is 40/hrs a week. Anyway, u can def go everyday, plus after feeling mentally taxed after the day, nothing makes u feel better than working out, I'd say its been a positive for me.

brickman

Postby brickman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:02 am

here's a good thread for fitness and what-not: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50308

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:28 am

vanwinkle wrote:Finally I joined a 24-hour gym

I'm glad that seems to have worked out for you in law school, because I'm another one of those people who works out at weird hours. It's 1:27 am and I'm going to do some dumbbell exercises now I think.

ben1185

Postby ben1185 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:41 am

DCD wrote:
atlantalaw wrote:

Maybe reasonable if just counting study as reading/outlining/etc. Probably not a reasonable estimate counting class time...

I spent about 40-50 the first half semester, then increased to 60-70 as time went on... last 2-3 weeks was study as much as possible every day, stopping for mental breaks as needed.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:27 am

Depending on how many orgs and such you're involved in, law school time is really your own. You probably can't work 40 hours a week counting class time though--I was in class probably 20 hours a week this past semester (for various reasons), and I would definitely spend more than 20 hours actually doing the reading. But 12 hrs/day every day and such is really up to the person doing it, and I even have my doubts as to whether doing that much really helps all that much. Do people do it? Sure. Do they end up doing well? Probably. Is it necessary? I just have a hard time believing so.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 am

heyguys wrote:Depending on how many orgs and such you're involved in, law school time is really your own. You probably can't work 40 hours a week counting class time though--I was in class probably 20 hours a week this past semester (for various reasons), and I would definitely spend more than 20 hours actually doing the reading. But 12 hrs/day every day and such is really up to the person doing it, and I even have my doubts as to whether doing that much really helps all that much. Do people do it? Sure. Do they end up doing well? Probably. Is it necessary? I just have a hard time believing so.

don't you go to yale? if i were at an institution where i just had to pass, i don't know if i would spend 12 hrs/day studying either. most people have a grading and ranking system at their law school though. i know people who spend waaaaaay more than 12 hrs/day studying, and they are normally at the top of their class, since that is the kind of dedication it takes. i can't spend much more than 12 hrs/day studying because my brain normally shuts off after that point, but if i could study more i most likely would. would i call being at the top of the class paying off? yes.

cornell1L

Postby cornell1L » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 am

I was nearly 100% sedentary my 1L and 2L years but have been working out like a maniac 3L year given all the free time/lack of stress about grades and am now in the best shape of my life. Just keep in mind that 1L year is very important academically and any physical losses from your first year can be made up later with some hard work.

That being said, a small amount of regular exercise my 1L year would have done absolute wonders for my stress level.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:30 am

1. Wake up an hour early, get to the gym.
2. ???
3. Profit.

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:02 pm

It seems like availability of machines and space is the biggest issue at school gyms. Virginia has a nice facility close to the law school, but it's too crowded for my liking most of the time. Maybe that'll be less of an issue when I'm not on the exact same schedule as the rest of the 1L class, but in the mean time I bought a doorway-mounted chinup bar, some weights, an exercise ball and a foam roller and I've been staying in pretty decent shape without having to leave my apartment (which is a plus for me, but might bother some folks). It's been harder to figure out how to get cardio since I don't like to run and I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for some sort of indoor machine, but other than that if you're really pressed for time, finding a way to workout at home is a pretty good idea. There's no waiting, no commute..none of that.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:14 pm

I work out 5-6 days a week for an hour or more at a time. I'd like to keep that up this fall, if possible. If I studied 12 hours a day and didn't exercise, I'd go insane.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Yeah, its doable. I'm usually in the gym 4-6x/wk. To squeeze it in, you'll either need to wake up an hour earlier and go in the morning, or be flexible as to when you go. Usually, I try to throw it in either early in the afternoon or early evening, since this fits better with my class schedule, and also helps me to avoid the mid-afternoon/evening brain shutdown. It doesn't prevent me from doing other things too, since these are times when I'd usually be bsing around with classmates.

buslaw4302

Postby buslaw4302 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Its definitely possible, I worked out 5x per week usually for 30-45 minutes right after class most days and if anything that and a clean diet I attribute to doing well... I really think 90% of 1L year is all mental and being able to keep level headed and having consistent stress relief is a great way to do that. I even found time during finals week to sneak off and get some quick workouts in as well-- as long as you can manage your time effectively, you'll be fine. Now if you need 2-3 hours per gym session, you may need to cut back because I am sure it would cut into working time.

username1

Postby username1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Pumping chicks is the best workout of all and if your a playa its free

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm

username1 wrote:Pumping chicks is the best workout of all and if your a playa its free

TITCR

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:25 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:I really think 90% of 1L year is all mental

Yogi Berra?! Aren't you a little old for law school?!

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

I work 45-50 hours a week or more and am going PT. There is time. You have to make it.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 pm

i dunno about grades but i gotta go to the gym when i start law school; i absolutely refuse to become an overweight middle-age American after i graduate. it worked well in UG so it'll work in law school, haha.

Ignatius J. Reilly

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 am

Good thread. I did not work out as a 1L, and it sucked. I just had it in my mind that I didn't have time, but now that I think about it I probably did. Now, as a 2L, I work out between 3-5 times per week, about an hour per visit to the gym. But when you count the drive to the gym (opposite direction from my home than the law school is) and showering, it's really an hour and a half commitment. It is worth it, though. I feel so good after I work out. I have heard, and I don't know if this is true or not, that working out releases endorphins in your body that improve your mood and increase your attentiveness. It feels like it is true, though. My advice to any 0L's out there is to make sure you work out as a 1L. You do have the time. If you're really worried about it, take your notes to the gym and read them on the treadmill. Also, someone said they studied 60 hours per week? I wonder how many of those 60 hours are actually committed to studying, and not facebook, Twitter, TLS, etc. Because one thing you can do if you want to work out but are worried about studying is just cut back on your b/s time and then you don't even have to worry about cutting into your study time. Just a thought.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

worked out for an hour today. actually helped me since i was on the elliptical and had to read this really long case so i basically just stayed on the elliptical until i finished reading the case. i forgot my highlighter so i couldn't take notes though...oops.

trickydicky

Postby trickydicky » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:58 pm

I worked out pretty much everday, maybe took one day off a week. Working out is a great way to refresh your mind. I think that people underestimate the importance of working out. Cardio is a great time to read cases and get ahead. If you are really crazy you can listen to bar lectures while you are working out.

But that is psycho gunner shit.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:49 pm

Got back on the ol' horse today...the lungs feel good, the legs not so much.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”