Let the good times continue to roll

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: Let the good times continue to roll

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:15 pm

betasteve wrote:Oh, and already: Things I am going to do different this semester - take notes with outlines in mind. I am going to fully prescribe to the notes build outlines mentality. Last semester I took a lot of notes in the book, both on the filler text and the cases... It was a horrendous bitch to build an outline off of that.

What I did last semester: Handwritten notes in a notebook, typed up into a notes file, then used that notes file to build an outline. While normally I hate handwriting, this process worked really well for me because it created extra steps that forced me to review the material multiple times, which increased my familiarity with it.

But this requires repeatedly reviewing and typing up notes through the semester. I got lazy about Torts (well, I got sick, excuses excuses) and never got them all typed up properly, and I had to scramble to finish my outline directly out of my handwritten notes. I haven't gotten that grade yet so I don't know how badly that hurt me.

sperry

Postby sperry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:02 pm

betasteve wrote:First civ pro case of 2nd semester (we cover rules 1st semester, JX second):
Pennoyer v. Neff - (However, seems muted because this book doesn't teach it via opinion, but law review articles - i.e. "through a legal historian's account than that of an appellate judge")

Oh, and already: Things I am going to do different this semester - take notes with outlines in mind. I am going to fully prescribe to the notes build outlines mentality. Last semester I took a lot of notes in the book, both on the filler text and the cases... It was a horrendous bitch to build an outline off of that.

I just read my syllabi for this semester, and I have two professors who don't let us use computers in class. I handwrote my notes last semester, and I realized at the end of the year/ outlining time that my notes were worthless, and that I needed to type in the future. Welp, so much for that one.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:53 am

vanwinkle wrote:
betasteve wrote:Oh, and already: Things I am going to do different this semester - take notes with outlines in mind. I am going to fully prescribe to the notes build outlines mentality. Last semester I took a lot of notes in the book, both on the filler text and the cases... It was a horrendous bitch to build an outline off of that.

What I did last semester: Handwritten notes in a notebook, typed up into a notes file, then used that notes file to build an outline. While normally I hate handwriting, this process worked really well for me because it created extra steps that forced me to review the material multiple times, which increased my familiarity with it.

But this requires repeatedly reviewing and typing up notes through the semester. I got lazy about Torts (well, I got sick, excuses excuses) and never got them all typed up properly, and I had to scramble to finish my outline directly out of my handwritten notes. I haven't gotten that grade yet so I don't know how badly that hurt me.

This is the approach I took as well. I felt like it helped me know the material better by having that review of hand writing and retyping. Of course, this is all pending grades. :D

BattlingBarrister

Postby BattlingBarrister » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

I followed the same process. Handwriting my notes really helped me stay alert during lecture. Although, I noticed in class when people with computers were called on others from the class would gchat them answers to the questions asked. For the harder professors that award push points or whatever that could be a huge help. Then again, because I didn't have a computer and could only rely on myself for the answers I prepared like crazy for every class and knew everything backwards and forwards. When it came time to study for finals I spent most of my time figuring out how to take the exams well rather than having to learn the material.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”