crap-just found out I got a B in Torts Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
General Tso

Gold

Re: crap-just found out I got a B in Torts

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
swheat wrote:My GPA really is .5 pts above my school's median. What do I do guys?
Whiskey self?

Also, I demand juicy gossipy details of Corsairs IRL fallout. What is the internet for if not Gossip!!
There are no juicy gossipy details. Some dorks (can't use the word 'ninnies' anymore apparently) just harassed him after he posted his grades on his blog. Apparently they harassed him IRL as well. He didn't get kicked out of school or anything.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 pm

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 pm

truthypants wrote: nah, I don't even have all my grades in yet--I am scared to get my legal writing grade back (my gpa is probably gonna take a hit). I don't understand how the curves work in law school, so I am not even sure if I did well or not (just generally speaking, how do employers look at Bs?
*edit*--actually, I am reading this one book now (law school confidential) and one chapter is an assessment on how you did 1st semester--he says that if you get Bs you are scaring away employers and now i'm nervous (is this true)
Flame

hi_im_josh

New

Post by hi_im_josh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Generally speaking, Bs aren't too good in law school. Biglaw is probably out of the question with Bs. Not sure about other legal employers (I hear the feds are very tough to get into now that the economy is in the dumps).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nazrix

New

Post by Nazrix » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:08 am

I haven't posted on this board in 3 years, but as a 3L at a T20, I can give you a heads up on what I have seen.

I did 32 OCI interviews right when the economy was going down fast and have seen 2 cycles of this, and I would say that Bs will be a serious problem.

One "B" alone is not a problem, I would say if you pulled all A+s and Bs you would be fine, from what I've gathered from interviewers, is that they care most about GPA, not the particular classes. The people who did super well in Ks and Civ Pro (two things you would actually use very often in biglaw) did not "get one over" on people who did well in Crim Law and Con Law, which are functionally useless in biglaw.

The only grade I have ever heard of being important is legal writing, which I basically failed, yet I got piles of interviews and summer offers.

You need to be in the top 10% to have a good shot at anything in this economy, even in the T20, trust me, I'm there in that situation. Even people in the top 10 are getting shot down in the T20 at T20s in major markets.

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:24 am

You need to be in the top 10% to have a good shot at anything in this economy, even in the T20, trust me, I'm there in that situation. Even people in the top 10 are getting shot down in the T20 at T20s in major markets.
This doesn't keep me awake at night at all.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:08 am

what's the point of worrying about how this will affect you with employers? go out for interviews. you'll see if it affects you or not.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 am

betasteve wrote:
Nazrix wrote:I haven't posted on this board in 3 years, but as a 3L at a T20, I can give you a heads up on what I have seen.

I did 32 OCI interviews right when the economy was going down fast and have seen 2 cycles of this, and I would say that Bs will be a serious problem.

One "B" alone is not a problem, I would say if you pulled all A+s and Bs you would be fine, from what I've gathered from interviewers, is that they care most about GPA, not the particular classes. The people who did super well in Ks and Civ Pro (two things you would actually use very often in biglaw) did not "get one over" on people who did well in Crim Law and Con Law, which are functionally useless in biglaw.

The only grade I have ever heard of being important is legal writing, which I basically failed, yet I got piles of interviews and summer offers.

Luckily our hiring is going to be far, far better. We'll likely get back to pre-economy hiring within the next 2 quarters. I expect biglaw will dip back down to the 50% range at T14, and will be down to 25% or so at the good, regional T1s.
Hope you are right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:56 am

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 am

thesealocust wrote:
betasteve wrote:Luckily our hiring is going to be far, far better. We'll likely get back to pre-economy hiring within the next 2 quarters. I expect biglaw will dip back down to the 50% range at T14, and will be down to 25% or so at the good, regional T1s.
Starting salaries will probably break 200K for market, and I anticipate bonuses twice per year with each similar to pre-recession levels.
Blow and hookers for everyone!

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 am

i sincerely doubt it will ever be like it was in the early aughts for quite some time. lawyers and law firms are risk-averse people. They won't forget how badly the got burned in 2008-2009. I think it's more likely that hiring will increase but salaries stay where they are for a while.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Rand M. wrote:
betasteve wrote:
Nazrix wrote:I haven't posted on this board in 3 years, but as a 3L at a T20, I can give you a heads up on what I have seen.

Luckily our hiring is going to be far, far better. We'll likely get back to pre-economy hiring within the next 2 quarters. I expect biglaw will dip back down to the 50% range at T14, and will be down to 25% or so at the good, regional T1s.
Hope (but doubt) you are right.
FTFM :cry:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:
betasteve wrote:Luckily our hiring is going to be far, far better. We'll likely get back to pre-economy hiring within the next 2 quarters. I expect biglaw will dip back down to the 50% range at T14, and will be down to 25% or so at the good, regional T1s.
Starting salaries will probably break 200K for market, and I anticipate bonuses twice per year with each similar to pre-recession levels.
In all seriousness though economists are predicting that for the economy in general, we won't return to 5% unemployment for at least 6 years. 10%+ unemployment is expected to continue throughout 2010 and into 2011. http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/07/news/ec ... 2010010806

Let's hope the legal field outpaces the rest of the pack.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:31 pm

It's OK; the legal profession is not for everyone.

Nazrix

New

Post by Nazrix » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:41 am

betasteve wrote:

I would say 2 quarters is far too optimistic but your numbers themselves sound pretty fair. Pre-collapse hiring was far better than you suggest, as far as I saw. Also, back then, lots of people merely turned down biglaw, now, few do. T2s, T3s, and T4s should be shut down for good, it's asinine to have these candidates lurking around to steal jobs and have these institutions around to steal tuition.

tiesto82

New

Post by tiesto82 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Don't freak out. I received a B in torts my first semester in law school. I rebounded and finished first year well within the top 10% of my first year class and will be a Summer Associate at a V20 firm this summer. Also note that I am not at a T14.

Just make sure it is the lowest grade you receive in law school and try to keep things in perspective. Instead of letting it occupy the back of your mind all spring, look at it as though you had a bad test day. Meet with the professor and learn what you did wrong on the exam. Also, talk to an academic advisor and find out whether your Torts professor gives the type of test which requires intrinsically different skill sets to do well. Learn from it rather than worrying about it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:35 am

Cavalier wrote:It's OK; the legal profession is not for everyone.
A+

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”