What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:58 pm

I tried to use the search function as best as I could and did not find the answer so i apologize if the answer is out there.

Imagining that one successfully transfers to another law school, how does that new school calculate your rank and GPA? does the GPA carry over exactly, and a new rank instantly re-formulated by that school? Do you start over from scratch and 2L and 3L GPA's making up your entire ranking?

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby TTT-LS » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:13 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:14 pm

nM
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:18 pm

so pretty much the 2L and 3L grades gets magnified?

where by your 2L grades are pretty much doubled to see what rank you're in? (compared to those with 1L and 2L grades)

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:25 pm

You start from experience, and yes, 2L/3L is magnified as far as GPA goes.

At most schools, that actually is a good thing, since seminars and upper level courses often (but not always) have more generous curves.

Of course, by virtue of the fact that you're transferring, you give up a very good GPA, so eh. Getting the first grade back at the new school can be something of a dissapointment, too :/

ak362
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby ak362 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:27 pm

finalaspects wrote:so pretty much the 2L and 3L grades gets magnified?

where by your 2L grades are pretty much doubled to see what rank you're in? (compared to those with 1L and 2L grades)


Not sure if magnified or doubled is the right word for it - but yeah, your 2L and 3L grades will obviously have more weight in determining class ranking, since you have no 1L grades to go off of. There are some caveats, of course - some schools prevent you from getting certain honors (e.g. summa cum laude at GULC) as a transfer.*

* Might be wrong on this, please correct if mistaken.

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Of course, by virtue of the fact that you're transferring, you give up a very good GPA, so eh. Getting the first grade back at the new school can be something of a dissapointment, too :/


Sorry to hear about your first grade back. Hope you rocked the other classes you have left.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Some schools do block some honors--more common is for schools to block Order of the Coif (I know UVa does, off the top of my head.) Other schools are free game on the honors, and base it completely on 2L/3L grades for xfers, which is probably a little unfair to the original students. Much easier to game a high GPA as a transfer, if you just take high-GPA-granting courses.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby A'nold » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Some schools do block some honors--more common is for schools to block Order of the Coif (I know UVa does, off the top of my head.) Other schools are free game on the honors, and base it completely on 2L/3L grades for xfers, which is probably a little unfair to the original students. Much easier to game a high GPA as a transfer, if you just take high-GPA-granting courses.


Great plan of action if I do this....... :twisted: Legal underwater basketweaving FTW?

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: What happens to GPA and Rank after transferring?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:39 pm

A'nold wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Some schools do block some honors--more common is for schools to block Order of the Coif (I know UVa does, off the top of my head.) Other schools are free game on the honors, and base it completely on 2L/3L grades for xfers, which is probably a little unfair to the original students. Much easier to game a high GPA as a transfer, if you just take high-GPA-granting courses.


Great plan of action if I do this....... :twisted: Legal underwater basketweaving FTW?


Otherwise known as Law and ____________________




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fed_Atty, LawHammer, Nylon and 8 guests