When do you find out about CALI's? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stinger35

Silver

When do you find out about CALI's?

Post by stinger35 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:41 pm

I know this sounds just uber-gunner of me...but now that I got my grades (and seriously could not be more surprised with the results), I was wondering if any CALI winners in the past could let me know when they were given out?

I am sure it is different at each school and I am sure it sounds rather presumptive of me to think I got the best grade in the class, but I have a 1-5 chance of it for my three classes and would love to start throwing them on my resume.

Thanks for the help.

kimber1028

Bronze

Re: When do you find out about CALI's?

Post by kimber1028 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:59 pm

betasteve wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I know this sounds just uber-gunner of me...but now that I got my grades (and seriously could not be more surprised with the results), I was wondering if any CALI winners in the past could let me know when they were given out?

I am sure it is different at each school and I am sure it sounds rather presumptive of me to think I got the best grade in the class, but I have a 1-5 chance of it for my three classes and would love to start throwing them on my resume.

Thanks for the help.
WTF are CALI's?
+1. The only CALIs I know of are the CALI lessons....

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm

betasteve wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I know this sounds just uber-gunner of me...but now that I got my grades (and seriously could not be more surprised with the results), I was wondering if any CALI winners in the past could let me know when they were given out?

Thanks for the help.
WTF are CALI's?
I know about this CALI, but unless I've been doing it wrong there aren't any jackpots or prizes there...

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm

betasteve wrote:

Thanks for the help.
WTF are CALI's?
OP seems to be implying its an award for the top grade in a class. I'm not sure most schools do stuff like that.

That being said, I've never heard of them.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Here it is:
CALI Excellence for the Future Awards

All CALI member law schools are eligible to give the CALI Excellence for the Future Award® to the highest scoring student in each law school class.

If you have won a CALI award in the past you can join The CALI Award LinkedIn Group, which allows award winners to add a badge to their LinkedIn profile by joining.
Maybe they don't give them out at my school or something, because I had never heard of them before this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freegaladvice

New

Post by freegaladvice » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:09 pm

kimber1028 wrote:Here it is:

All CALI member law schools are eligible to give the CALI Excellence for the Future Award® to the highest scoring student in each law school class.

If you have won a CALI award in the past you can join The CALI Award LinkedIn Group, which allows award winners to add a badge to their LinkedIn profile by joining.
Maybe they don't give them out at my school or something, because I had never heard of them before this.
First, a 1L with a LinkedIn profile? I would hope only non-trad 1L's have them. Second, it would be worthy of going on a resume, but a badge on your LinkedIn profile? Ultimate douchebadggery.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Doesn't seem like the sort of thing a really good school would do, but I guess there could be exceptions. I mean, if the school doesn't rank, why would they single out the top performers?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:14 pm

kimber1028 wrote:Here it is:

Now I'm curious... I'll bet only a very small percentage of my classmates have even looked at the CALI lessons. I don't care about the LinkedIn merit badge, but I do like shenanigans. I'll bet I can game this system, as long as CALI is in charge of it (not my school)...

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:51 pm

In my case, never.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I was in CAL-M during 1.6

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:56 pm

freegaladvice wrote:First, a 1L with a LinkedIn profile? I would hope only non-trad 1L's have them. Second, it would be worthy of going on a resume, but a badge on your LinkedIn profile? Ultimate douchebadggery.
Career services advised us to create a profile.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Yea they are just awards going to the top grade for each individual class. Apparently not the most common thing but I know of many schools that do it (list can be seen here --LinkRemoved-- - so I guess its not too uncommon. Obviously the HYS don't but there are some T1 schools up there and as for my school its a middle of the road T2 school.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:37 pm

LjakW wrote:
freegaladvice wrote:First, a 1L with a LinkedIn profile? I would hope only non-trad 1L's have them. Second, it would be worthy of going on a resume, but a badge on your LinkedIn profile? Ultimate douchebadggery.
Career services advised us to create a profile.
Yeah, it's really not that strange, Free.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:46 pm

I can't believe you guys haven't heard of CALI's.....weird.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:05 pm

So, I'm a 1L and have no actual experience with this, but looking at the GGU website they "publish" their CALI awards at: http://www.ggu.edu/school_of_law/law_re ... sage_board

Looking at the document creation dates, the Fall 2008 CALI list was created 1-20-2009. I assume they probably do them around the same time every year. Like releasing grades, I'm sure it varies by school.

agroothuis

New

Post by agroothuis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 pm

I realize this is an old thread. But for anyone who might find it searching the forum for CALI Awards info, try this:

http://www.cali.org/content/cali-excell ... ure-awards

About half of our 200 member law schools choose hand out the awards, actually, so it's not surprising that they're pretty well known in a bunch of schools (CALI's a verb in some circles..."she CALI'ed torts"), but unheard of in others.

If you have questions about CALI Awards, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Austin

agroothuis_at_cali_dot_org
Last edited by agroothuis on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:27 pm

If a school is participating do ALL professors give one out or just those that want to? I noticed that my school is participating and some sections have CALI awards and others don't, at least they are yet to be posted.

agroothuis

New

Post by agroothuis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 pm

When it comes to selection of awards, it's your school's call. They may leave it up to the prof.

Then we take the list your school sends us, print the awards, and post them.

But, some schools or recipients request us not to make certain awards public. Again, it's their call.

Also, a lot of times schools don't send us every award for a semester in one batch.

Long story short, ask your school administrators.

Austin

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:07 am

I knew about this but had no idea they were posted from my school until this thread. Fact: almost all the winners from my class never voluntarily said a single word all semester. Amazing. I am completely shocked at a few, but not all, of the award winners in my class.

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 pm

kittenmittons wrote:I was in CAL-M during 1.6
just posting to let you know that at least one person here gets the reference

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:21 pm

TigerBeer wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:I was in CAL-M during 1.6
just posting to let you know that at least one person here gets the reference
i hope to god you are not referring to the cyber athletic league.

Just got a CALI from my school today, so I guess they have started to hand them out (at wake forest at least)
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

jkay wrote:I knew about this but had no idea they were posted from my school until this thread. Fact: almost all the winners from my class never voluntarily said a single word all semester. Amazing. I am completely shocked at a few, but not all, of the award winners in my class.
That describes me perfectly. In fact, in the class I did CALI in, I literally never spoke one word. The professor stopped keeping track of his cold call sheet, and my name never came up.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:30 pm

missinglink wrote:
jkay wrote:I knew about this but had no idea they were posted from my school until this thread. Fact: almost all the winners from my class never voluntarily said a single word all semester. Amazing. I am completely shocked at a few, but not all, of the award winners in my class.
That describes me perfectly. In fact, in the class I did CALI in, I literally never spoke one word. The professor stopped keeping track of his cold call sheet, and my name never came up.
most of the people i know who did really well rarely talked in class. some did, but most didn't.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is there any consensus on what these things are and if it's worth it to put them on your resume? At least some t14's give them out....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”