More Humble / Bigger Douche

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

The first semester of law school has either:

1) Humbled the shit out of you: You think before you speak, you assume good faith in opposing arguments (at least more often now), and generally are a better person now, or
29%
2) It's encouraged you to take douchebaggery to new levels: "My classmates are so ungrateful! Don't they realize I'm giving this shit away for free?;" People who disagree with you are either stupid or evil (and frequently both), and you are now that much more of a raging tool (unbeknownst to you, of course). Select this option if you've ever said anything like "1L was so easy!, LOLWTF:)?!?!"
24%
3) I have no clue
47%

Total votes: 45

GOB Bluth

More Humble / Bigger Douche

Postby GOB Bluth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:45 am

The first semester of law school has either:

1) Humbled the shit out of you: You think before you speak, you assume good faith in opposing arguments (at least more often now), and you are generally a better person now, or
2) It's encouraged you to take douchebaggery to new levels: "My classmates are so ungrateful! Don't they realize I'm giving this shit away for free?;" People who disagree with you are either stupid or evil (and frequently both), and you are now that much more of a raging tool (unbeknownst to you, of course). Select this option if you've ever said anything like "1L was so easy!, LOLWTF:)?!?!"
3) I have no clue

Edit: I'll get the party started by saying up front that the past semester was one of the most humbling experiences in my life.

thesealocust

Re: More Humble / Bigger Douche

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:47 am

That poll was so easy!, LOLWTF:)?!?!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:51 am

i dont get it

GOB Bluth

Postby GOB Bluth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:51 am

thesealocust wrote:That poll was so easy!, LOLWTF:)?!?!

mmm chipotle

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 am

How can law school make you a better person? Isn't law school designed to create the most amoral group of professionals in our society?

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:54 am

betasteve wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:How can law school make you a better person? Isn't law school designed to create the most amoral group of professionals in our society?

this. I feel confident that all of 1L is designed more to create/ensure the bitterness of future lawyers.

Good catch, BS! I forgot to include that. ;)

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:42 pm

nM
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Law school has made me even more open-minded. I think I am driving family members crazy because I cannot just sit by and blindly nod my head when they make blanket, unfounded assertions. I'm not a jerk, but I try to suggest that the other side would think such and such and that they might have good reason for it. Kind of a put yourself in another's shoes idea................yep, law school has made me annoying. :wink:

smalltown

Postby smalltown » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Where is the option if you weren't an ass hole before law school and still aren't one?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:21 pm

smalltown wrote:Where is the option if you weren't an ass hole before law school and still aren't one?

"Logout [smalltown]"

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:31 pm

nM
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:41 pm

A'nold wrote:Law school has made me even more open-minded. I think I am driving family members crazy because I cannot just sit by and blindly nod my head when they make blanket, unfounded assertions. I'm not a jerk, but I try to suggest that the other side would think such and such and that they might have good reason for it. Kind of a put yourself in another's shoes idea................yep, law school has made me annoying. :wink:

. . . only if you don't know how to operate the on-off switch.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”