1L Summer: Studying Abroad Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rainmaker614

Bronze

1L Summer: Studying Abroad

Post by rainmaker614 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:35 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on doing your 1L summer studying abroad? There are several great Oxford programs I was interested in and thought (in addition to always wanting to study at Oxford) that since it was almost impossible to get a great gig this summer without outstanding grades and all, this would be a better option than stressing over finding a decent job (putting money issues aside). Career services says that your 1L summer is almost irrelevant to future employers, as long as it is something law related. Anyone else thinking of spending their summer this way or 2L's/3L's have any experience with this?

Tehpokerstar

New

Re: 1L Summer: Studying Abroad

Post by Tehpokerstar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:55 am

I was thinking about traveling and volunteering briefly when I get back. Not sure though if thats going to work.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:20 am

rainmaker614 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on doing your 1L summer studying abroad? There are several great Oxford programs I was interested in and thought (in addition to always wanting to study at Oxford) that since it was almost impossible to get a great gig this summer without outstanding grades and all, this would be a better option than stressing over finding a decent job (putting money issues aside). Career services says that your 1L summer is almost irrelevant to future employers, as long as it is something law related. Anyone else thinking of spending their summer this way or 2L's/3L's have any experience with this?
Can you do both? Also considering Oxford (the Santa Clara program, since my beloved school doesn't have one), but if I do, I will split my summer. I don't think there is any substitute for experience outside the classroom, even if that experience is volunteering for a local PI organization (read: Not the ACLU or anything else with insta-prestige). I made a thread like this a while ago, and this was the general consensus I got. I'm not aiming for biglaw, though, so I think the typical TLS advice is less useful to me, and others in a similar position.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:34 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on doing your 1L summer studying abroad? There are several great Oxford programs I was interested in and thought (in addition to always wanting to study at Oxford) that since it was almost impossible to get a great gig this summer without outstanding grades and all, this would be a better option than stressing over finding a decent job (putting money issues aside). Career services says that your 1L summer is almost irrelevant to future employers, as long as it is something law related. Anyone else thinking of spending their summer this way or 2L's/3L's have any experience with this?
Can you do both? Also considering Oxford (the Santa Clara program, since my beloved school doesn't have one), but if I do, I will split my summer. I don't think there is any substitute for experience outside the classroom, even if that experience is volunteering for a local PI organization (read: Not the ACLU or anything else with insta-prestige). I made a thread like this a while ago, and this was the general consensus I got. I'm not aiming for biglaw, though, so I think the typical TLS advice is less useful to me, and others in a similar position.
Interesting. I'm also heavily considering the Santa Clara program, as my school doesn't offer such a program either. I'm also not gunning for biglaw at this point either but I still like to keep most options open, if possible. I'm wondering if that program is at all competitive to get into?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 am

I've heard it doesn't look good for big law to just do study abroad over summer.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:54 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:I've heard it doesn't look good for big law to just do study abroad over summer.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
If you have a very PI heavy resume, this might be a good time to get some big boy work experience. Otherwise, do literally whatever you want.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”