Best Property Supplement? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jp0094

Bronze

Re: Best Property Supplement?

Post by jp0094 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:21 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Gilberts commercial outline is hands down the 2nd best supplement I used in law school so far (2nd to the E&E for civ pro). I literally did nothing but go through and look up rules based on the case that we were covering and made my own outline covering gilberts alone (I didn't even bother with the cases) and ended up with an A. However, the prof was a visiting prof and really, really blew and tried his hardest to hide the ball and not tell us the rule that came out of a case (I'm serious about this too, when he would call on someone and they either spit out the rule or got close to it, the prof would start asking questions to draw the person in the other way as if that rule they came up with was wrong and then after the person was fully confused the prof would move onto the next case). So it might be a little different in terms of a good supp for that class if you have a decent prof.
My professor did the same thing last semester with criminal law. I credit Dressler as my true teacher.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:25 pm

smalltown wrote:Our section used Estates in Land and Future Interests: A Step-by-Step Guide by Linda Edwards. It was not helpful at all for me, but I know when other sections saw our text they were envious because it did make it clear for them. Edwards employs a chart that takes you through that pain-in-the-ass material. If you're having trouble with it, that might be a good option.
I credit that book with my understanding of estates and future interests. I felt like I had a great grasp on estates after going through that book. Our property class had a midterm on only estates and future interests, and I scored second highest in the class due mostly to Edward's book.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:41 pm

Has anyone used the Property Law & Policy Dwyer and Menell casebook? It seems like which supplement people recommend depends on the casebook. Is the consensus still Gilbert's or Emmanuel for this textbook as well?

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:50 pm

My Professor, TA, and about 10 other students who used the Dukeminier text said that getting the Gilbert's that Dukeminier wrote is about the best thing you can do for yourself during your law school career. After flipping through it, it appears that the supp will be particularly helpful for outlining the right stuff. I found one on half.com for about $8, which was sweet.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:25 pm

any suggestions for the Dwyer book?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:29 pm

I have the Merrill Property casebook, in case anyone knows a good supplement that goes with it. If not, I guess I will pick up an old copy of the Gilbert

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:16 pm

dakatz wrote:I have the Merrill Property casebook, in case anyone knows a good supplement that goes with it. If not, I guess I will pick up an old copy of the Gilbert
If you're looking for an informational supplement, then this is credited. It's also written by Merrill and Smith, and is excellent overall. Smith was my property professor in the fall, so I guess it was even more perfect, but it's quite easy to understand:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Introducti ... pd_sim_b_7

Limitations: It's not extensive of T&E stuff, but is concise and easy to understand, and it has no practice problems. You'd have to get those elsewhere if you're looking for more practice ammo than old exams.

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:54 pm

My professor recommended the Singer supplement for the Singer casebook. Any thoughts?

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

For me, there was no real perfect Property supplement. But I'll have to agree w/ the previous responses - the Krier Gilbert's outline AND the Linda Edwards book are a great combination. Definitely, definitely get those. E & E is a bit average, but some portions of it are useful for practice purposes. The Sprankling book is a bit of a waste of money IMO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:22 pm

anyone post the link for understanding property? there are like 4 on amazon. This may seem stupid... but so confused.

onthemoney

New

Post by onthemoney » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Anyone have an opinion on "Inside Property Law: What Matters and Why?" I used this series for CivPro and it was seriously the best book I'd seen by far on the subject.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:25 pm

I had the same book, and got the Gilbert's because it was written by Krier. The Gilbert's is fine, but it really doesn't go into much detail because it's a commercial outline. So I also recommend Understanding Property...it's very clear, and it's a great way to review the material one more time from a different perspective. Definitely helps you see the big picture. To not get Understanding Property would be to cheat yourself.

kristttina

New

Post by kristttina » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:26 pm

I have the Casner textbook for property and I can't seem to find a supplement for Property written by him. Does anyone have any suggestions.

BTW, I LOVE Chirelstein for Contracts...it's the only reason I got an A in that class, and it's especially helpful if your professor stresses policy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:59 pm

I have the Merrill/Smith book as well but I'm hesitant about using their, or any other, supplement for property.

While it's the class where we don't "dig" into many cases, and some course evaluations have suggested a supplement to the Professor's tendency to go off on tangents... the Professor still has strong opinions on property and flat out tells us to ignore certain cases or subjects that Merrill & Smith "got wrong" or "went into too much detail" on.

rupert.pupkin

New

Post by rupert.pupkin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 pm

For those with the Merrill/Smith casebook, the supplement is of minimal additional value. It's basically the notes/comments section of the casebook--word-for-word in many instances.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:22 pm

best property supplement is an outline from a 2L that had your professor (and did well).

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:55 pm

+6320320
rupert.pupkin wrote:For those with the Merrill/Smith casebook, the supplement is of minimal additional value. It's basically the notes/comments section of the casebook--word-for-word in many instances.
Thanks, that's exactly the part of our book that our Professor told us to basically skip
Last edited by Sogui on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Same book: Gilberts is great.

EDIT: It follows along nicely with the material in the casebook.

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Aside from the E&E, are there any other books with practice questions and answers? Does CALI have some of those? Hornbooks are nice for a framework of understanding, but I really want more hypos with answers...

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:05 am

BIG CAVEAT: Ask 2Ls who have taken your professor and ask what works best. If you hear the same name popping up consistently, you've got something. (All the high performers at my school who had one guy said "For the love of G~d buy the Glannon!" Others, who had my prof, kept saying gilbert/emmanuel.)

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:39 am

Just got Understanding Prop with LN points. happy about that. My property professor is new-ish and it doesn't seem like 2Ls/3Ls have taken her before. Boo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:09 am

Granted, I had a different prof and casebook than you, but these two books saved me in Property and helped me to get a high grade in the class:

-Understanding Property
-Real Property in a Nutshell

Of course, YMMV. But you can get either one of them for fairly cheap, so they may be worth a look.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:30 pm

based on researching the forum (i have the same casebook at you-the krier one) I went with gilbert's law summaries. The thing I dont like about this is that its a straight up outline, whereas I think I prefer explanations and more text like the understanding series. Perhaps this will change once I get used to it, because this is the first commercial outline I am using as a supplement.

My exam has multiple choice--anyone have recommendations for mc practice?

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:43 pm

goosey wrote:based on researching the forum (i have the same casebook at you-the krier one) I went with gilbert's law summaries. The thing I dont like about this is that its a straight up outline, whereas I think I prefer explanations and more text like the understanding series. Perhaps this will change once I get used to it, because this is the first commercial outline I am using as a supplement.

I've spent some time with a number of the property supplements (made good use of the table and chairs in the bookstore). The Glannon Guide seems like a winner for MC. However, your professor could very well take some of the E&E questions and turn them into multiple choice questions (my torts professor did this last semester). It just all depends. Since my exams are essay based, and my professor's teaching just seemed too different from the organization of the Glannon Guide, I passed on it. My suggestion is to take your casebook into the bookstore and flip through and compare the cb with the supplement; however, if you're going to get the supplement new, don't buy through the bookstore. The markup is ridiculous.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Amy wineBerry wrote:
goosey wrote:based on researching the forum (i have the same casebook at you-the krier one) I went with gilbert's law summaries. The thing I dont like about this is that its a straight up outline, whereas I think I prefer explanations and more text like the understanding series. Perhaps this will change once I get used to it, because this is the first commercial outline I am using as a supplement.

I've spent some time with a number of the property supplements (made good use of the table and chairs in the bookstore). The Glannon Guide seems like a winner for MC. However, your professor could very well take some of the E&E questions and turn them into multiple choice questions (my torts professor did this last semester). It just all depends. Since my exams are essay based, and my professor's teaching just seemed too different from the organization of the Glannon Guide, I passed on it. My suggestion is to take your casebook into the bookstore and flip through and compare the cb with the supplement; however, if you're going to get the supplement new, don't buy through the bookstore. The markup is ridiculous.
i didnt even know there was a glannon guide for property. I used this for civ pro last semester and it was a success. I basically just want practice with mc questions--i don't plan on learning the material from the supplement

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”