1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
cconnoll
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:51 pm

1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby cconnoll » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:35 pm

I am a 1L in the San Diego area. I am looking for any advice that can be given to me on here by some 2Ls, 3Ls or graduates who have some insight in the San Diego area. I am very interested in intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, patents(although I have no hard science degree), entertainment and sports law. I know we are in an recession, and I have not yet received my grades, but I would like to start sending out my resume to some firms here in the area. I really don't know where to begin....I am curious about anyone thoughts on the legal community in San Diego, job opportunities for the fields I am interested in, and any advice for the application process. Thank you SO much for any advice any of you can give me!

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:41 pm

cconnoll wrote:I am a 1L in the San Diego area. I am looking for any advice that can be given to me on here by some 2Ls, 3Ls or graduates who have some insight in the San Diego area. I am very interested in intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, patents(although I have no hard science degree), entertainment and sports law. I know we are in an recession, and I have not yet received my grades, but I would like to start sending out my resume to some firms here in the area. I really don't know where to begin....I am curious about anyone thoughts on the legal community in San Diego, job opportunities for the fields I am interested in, and any advice for the application process. Thank you SO much for any advice any of you can give me!


Did you go to USD Law?

BattlingBarrister
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:13 am

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby BattlingBarrister » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:28 pm

I think I know you from a summer class we took. You're probably top of the class. I would start by talking to your professors and networking from there. They're pretty good at getting your foot in the door.

User avatar
cconnoll
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby cconnoll » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:32 pm

BattlingBarrister wrote:I think I know you from a summer class we took. You're probably top of the class. I would start by talking to your professors and networking from there. They're pretty good at getting your foot in the door.



LoL, I am not sure if this is sincere, or a jab at Me. I am not sure if we took a summer class together or not.

User avatar
cconnoll
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby cconnoll » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Inygma wrote:
cconnoll wrote:I am a 1L in the San Diego area. I am looking for any advice that can be given to me on here by some 2Ls, 3Ls or graduates who have some insight in the San Diego area. I am very interested in intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, patents(although I have no hard science degree), entertainment and sports law. I know we are in an recession, and I have not yet received my grades, but I would like to start sending out my resume to some firms here in the area. I really don't know where to begin....I am curious about anyone thoughts on the legal community in San Diego, job opportunities for the fields I am interested in, and any advice for the application process. Thank you SO much for any advice any of you can give me!


Did you go to USD Law?



I wish. I am currently a 1L @ California Western School of Law. Please refrain from jabs @ this particular law school, for now anyways.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:35 pm

cconnoll wrote:
Inygma wrote:
cconnoll wrote:I am a 1L in the San Diego area. I am looking for any advice that can be given to me on here by some 2Ls, 3Ls or graduates who have some insight in the San Diego area. I am very interested in intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, patents(although I have no hard science degree), entertainment and sports law. I know we are in an recession, and I have not yet received my grades, but I would like to start sending out my resume to some firms here in the area. I really don't know where to begin....I am curious about anyone thoughts on the legal community in San Diego, job opportunities for the fields I am interested in, and any advice for the application process. Thank you SO much for any advice any of you can give me!


Did you go to USD Law?



I wish. I am currently a 1L @ California Western School of Law. Please refrain from jabs @ this particular law school, for now anyways.


Just interested, no intent to put you down.

BattlingBarrister
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:13 am

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby BattlingBarrister » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:36 pm

cconnoll wrote:
BattlingBarrister wrote:I think I know you from a summer class we took. You're probably top of the class. I would start by talking to your professors and networking from there. They're pretty good at getting your foot in the door.



LoL, I am not sure if this is sincere, or a jab at Me. I am not sure if we took a summer class together or not.


it wasn't a jab. We go to the same school. You were definitely on your A-game for the summer enrichment.

User avatar
cconnoll
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby cconnoll » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Inygma wrote:
cconnoll wrote:
Inygma wrote:
cconnoll wrote:I am a 1L in the San Diego area. I am looking for any advice that can be given to me on here by some 2Ls, 3Ls or graduates who have some insight in the San Diego area. I am very interested in intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, patents(although I have no hard science degree), entertainment and sports law. I know we are in an recession, and I have not yet received my grades, but I would like to start sending out my resume to some firms here in the area. I really don't know where to begin....I am curious about anyone thoughts on the legal community in San Diego, job opportunities for the fields I am interested in, and any advice for the application process. Thank you SO much for any advice any of you can give me!


Did you go to USD Law?



I wish. I am currently a 1L @ California Western School of Law. Please refrain from jabs @ this particular law school, for now anyways.


Just interested, no intent to put you down.



Understandable. I have been hesitant in the past to start threads that explicitly state my question and the school I attend, because I have found that people don't answer the question at hand, but rather, slam the T4 school I attend.

User avatar
cconnoll
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby cconnoll » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Still alive for any potentially interested TLS posters...

sundaynightdelite
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby sundaynightdelite » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:39 pm

I go to USD!

But, Cal Western is still a legitimate school.

Will you guys be working in SD in the summer? I want to either be here or LA, shouldn't be too hard to find something, I don't think.

User avatar
cconnoll
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby cconnoll » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 am

sundaynightdelite wrote:I go to USD!

But, Cal Western is still a legitimate school.

Will you guys be working in SD in the summer? I want to either be here or LA, shouldn't be too hard to find something, I don't think.



I would like to be in SD for the summer, mainly because I have a lease here in downtown SD, plus a girlfriend, and a rambunctious dog. :D .

User avatar
Tehpokerstar
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby Tehpokerstar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:13 am

why not network through your connections already to see if they know someone in SD? if not why not call up some attorneys for infomercials. What would you not be open to do this summer?

jedgarhooter
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby jedgarhooter » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:48 am

I'm a 1L, not from San Diego (but I wish I was during this time of year!). I think that in this economy, you need to think connections, connections, connections. Beginning w/your professors sounds like good advice. Does your school have a database of graduates and the firms they work at? Start emailing them (ask career services for help or read articles/get advice from TLS). Who do your parents know who is an attorney? Who do you know who is an attorney? Blindly sending out resumes probably won't do much, so start thinking about any in you possibly have. 2 and 3Ls, feel free to qualify any of this advice, these are just my impressions of the times.

art vandelay
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:41 am

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby art vandelay » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:27 am

Ditto this, although I'm at an out-of-state T20... anyone know of any San Diego opportunities at all? It seems like all the opportunities are in LA :cry:

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:32 am

OP - you should not limit your search to San Diego. Are you participating in the Public Interest Career day at UCLA on February 6th? It's for all Southern California law schools.

Btw, I noticed that Cal Western's first time bar pass rate for July 09 was 81%. Pretty impressive.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby Inygma » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm

art vandelay wrote:Ditto this, although I'm at an out-of-state T20... anyone know of any San Diego opportunities at all? It seems like all the opportunities are in LA :cry:



San Diego is its own little market, easily separated from OC/LA. The jobs are there, but they really really like San Diego schools (USD especially) and other cali schools, (UCLA/USC/Berk/Hastings/Davis)

User avatar
cconnoll
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby cconnoll » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks for the responses thus far. I am looking for internships in or near San Diego. I am interested in copyright, trademarks, IP in general. I am also interested in Entertainment law, possibly Sports law, music publishing law and alternative dispute resolution. I'm curious if anyone has any advice or suggestions regarding these legal fields in or around the San Diego area. As always, much appreciated!

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: 1L looking for advice for summer interns in San Diego

Postby como » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:10 pm

cconnoll wrote:Thanks for the responses thus far. I am looking for internships in or near San Diego. I am interested in copyright, trademarks, IP in general. I am also interested in Entertainment law, possibly Sports law, music publishing law and alternative dispute resolution. I'm curious if anyone has any advice or suggestions regarding these legal fields in or around the San Diego area. As always, much appreciated!


Go to westlaw and look up firms hiring summer associates under the career services tab. It never hurts to google blast some small firms, email them inquiring whether they are taking on any interns, then sending them cover letter/resume if they do.

I'm trying to get to SD, but I am a NYer at Cornell. I've been told my chances are grim, since I have no family/school ties. That wont keep me from trying :P




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LawHammer, mjb447 and 8 guests