The Value of an LLM?? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bml05

New

The Value of an LLM??

Post by bml05 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:55 pm

What is the value of a LLM, if you don't want to get one in tax or ip? Will it help you with anything besides teaching?

Also is there any difference between getting an LLM in the US or getting one in a different country? Would getting one in a different country be less useful if you want to work in the US?

NayBoer

Silver

Re: The Value of an LLM??

Post by NayBoer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Conventional wisdom is that it mostly only matters for tax or for teaching that subject, but there might situations where it does improve one's work prospects. A general LLM is for foreign lawyers trying to US knowledge without going for full JD. What do you want to do with an LLM?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm pursuing a dual JD/LLM in Taxation only because I can complete in 6 semesters. Other than having a "specialization" so to speak in tax, I really don't foresee it being any more beneficial than a JD having taken a significant number of tax courses. Really, I am just kind of a whore for diplomas ... it gives me a sad sense of self-worth!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:07 am

chadwick218 wrote:I'm pursuing a dual JD/LLM in Taxation only because I can complete in 6 semesters. Other than having a "specialization" so to speak in tax, I really don't foresee it being any more beneficial than a JD having taken a significant number of tax courses. Really, I am just kind of a whore for diplomas ... it gives me a sad sense of self-worth!
I'm leaning toward doing this and I would've applied for the JD-LLM (in 6 semesters) but instead I did ED, as Northwestern doesn't let you apply for both. There's just so much knowledge required to do tax law that it's a semi-prerequisite.

It does feel weird to pay double tuition for the degree. I also guess I should weigh the alternative of taking an extra year to get the NYU LLM (including spending a year in NYC, forgoing 1 year-plus of income, etc.). Strongly leaning toward 6 semesters at Northwestern, but the tax world is fanatical for NYU and I'd miss possible 1L summer opportunities.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:26 am

NayBoer wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I'm pursuing a dual JD/LLM in Taxation only because I can complete in 6 semesters. Other than having a "specialization" so to speak in tax, I really don't foresee it being any more beneficial than a JD having taken a significant number of tax courses. Really, I am just kind of a whore for diplomas ... it gives me a sad sense of self-worth!
I'm leaning toward doing this and I would've applied for the JD-LLM (in 6 semesters) but instead I did ED, as Northwestern doesn't let you apply for both. There's just so much knowledge required to do tax law that it's a semi-prerequisite.

It does feel weird to pay double tuition for the degree. I also guess I should weigh the alternative of taking an extra year to get the NYU LLM (including spending a year in NYC, forgoing 1 year-plus of income, etc.). Strongly leaning toward 6 semesters at Northwestern, but the tax world is fanatical for NYU and I'd miss possible 1L summer opportunities.
I went ahead and applied this semester so you still have time later on. In terms of tuition, you only have to pay half of the LLM degree at NU if completed your JD at NU. I have also considerd either the NYU route or GULC route, but will just have to see how the next couple of semesters come together. In particular, if I can an offer through OCI and am utlimately deferred a year, I'll forget about the LLM at NU and head straight to NYU (if admitted, of course).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:29 pm

One of the attorneys I worked for last summer suggested going to get 1 part time if you settled in a city far from your law school in order to make more contacts in the legal world of the area your in.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:14 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

I went ahead and applied this semester so you still have time later on. In terms of tuition, you only have to pay half of the LLM degree at NU if completed your JD at NU. I have also considerd either the NYU route or GULC route, but will just have to see how the next couple of semesters come together. In particular, if I can an offer through OCI and am utlimately deferred a year, I'll forget about the LLM at NU and head straight to NYU (if admitted, of course).
So you're going to do the LLM classwork over the summer after 2L if you don't get an offer? Because I was thinking it'd be better to do it the summer after 1L so that you can have that knowledge (and possible resume boost) going into OCI and leave 2L summer open for SA.

Also, not sure if you know this, but is it common in biglaw (or tax/accounting firms) to hire an incoming 1st year associate in tax before knowing their LLM GPA? Like, be accepted conditional on performance at NYU/GULC/UF? That seems unlikely, but I really wouldn't know.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:22 pm

If a 1L firm job doesn't come through, I'll do an judicial externship, which would allow me to take a 4-hour practicum and pick up one additional class over the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”