Solo vs Group studying poll / thoughts Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What did you do?

Fully Solo Studying
31%
Mostly Solo Studying
38%
75% solo / 25% group
23%
50% solo / 50% group
4%
25% solo / 75% group
No votes
Mostly always group.
4%

Total votes: 77

CE2JD

Silver

Re: Solo vs Group studying poll / thoughts

Post by CE2JD » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:46 pm

mostly solo FTW

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:03 pm

For the most part, I study by myself.

Practice groups for practice exams and end-of-semester studying, however, are FTW.

The problem is that you either have to find other people who tend to put group studying off until the end of the semester, or try to elbow your way in to an established study-group at the end of the semester, which can be awkward.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:01 am

I had a study partner who I worked with throughout the semester. It turned out to be a really good system. We're both hyper-focused, so we didn't get each other off track at all. Also, she was more focused on the details, while I was more focused on the overall picture - it was a good combination. We also worked with each other during finals on practice exams - we followed a schedule to make sure we got through enough of them, and were able to discuss any points of confusion.

I noticed that a lot of the study groups in my section got off track fairly often. The most prepared students, IMO, were those who studied alone or in a partnership.

one&only

New

Post by one&only » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:05 am

I did groups and some time circle jerks.

First edited to state I was olways safe :lol:

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:28 am

i studied 99% of the time with a group. during the semester, we just sat at the same table and read to ourselves, and would ask each other if there was a question. i guess you could consider that not group study. during finals time, i got a group that was normally 2 other people together (some other people came in and out). they were from my everyday group so i knew they always had the work done. before finals, we reviewed together, did pt's together. basically i saw these people every hour i wasn't sleeping. sometimes we get off track, but i'm not the type of person that can stare at a book 24 hours/day so i would estimate i got off track much less than if i were by myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:22 pm

atlantalaw wrote:i studied 99% of the time with a group. during the semester, we just sat at the same table and read to ourselves, and would ask each other if there was a question. i guess you could consider that not group study. during finals time, i got a group that was normally 2 other people together (some other people came in and out). they were from my everyday group so i knew they always had the work done. before finals, we reviewed together, did pt's together. basically i saw these people every hour i wasn't sleeping. sometimes we get off track, but i'm not the type of person that can stare at a book 24 hours/day so i would estimate i got off track much less than if i were by myself.
This reading at the same table, asking/answering questions when arise seems like a decent strat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”