Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JazzOne

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:39 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I didn't cite a single case in any of my exams. Curiouser and curiouser.

Just so you know, the point about shorthand applies universally--i.e., you're never going to get penalized for using the cases the way I use them. That isn't to say that it isn't possible to do quite well without using cases, sometimes.

You WILL have professors who insist on seeing case citations, though. Just be aware of that--I saw a few people last year do pretty well first semester in classes where profs didn't care about case citations. 2nd semester came around, they ended up pulling profs that care about case citations (but didn't explicitly say as much,) and they took an absolute nosedive in the 2nd semester grades.

Not saying you're doing it wrong, just trying to make sure the same thing doesn't happen to you.

Re: Prep -- I've seen it hurt a lot of people. I also question whether it really did help you or not--I think it is much more likely that, without prep, you would have had a substantially similar level of success.

Thanks for the tips. I will be careful to ask my professors about citing next semester.

I'll never know for sure what grades I would have gotten without the prep. I think it helped, but perhaps I'm just trying to be humble because it seems pretty arrogant to say, "I'd have killed the curve no matter what!"

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:40 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
mallard wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I didn't cite a single case in any of my exams. Curiouser and curiouser.

Some of my profs specifically told us to cite cases, others told us specifically not to.

Really? I'll be damned, I've never heard of a prof that specifically did not want any citations.

my contracts professor specifically told us not to cite cases.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:42 pm

You could take my approach, and insist (truthfully, despite the fact that everyone (that I have occasion to talk to about this stuff, which is a very limited group of people) seems to think I'm lying/being falsely modest/whatever) that you honestly believe that your place on the curve is dictated by luck and exam-taking strategy more than anything else.

In this post: confusing parentheticals. This is why I wasn't an English major, sorry.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:58 pm

mallard wrote:

Some of my profs specifically told us to cite cases, others told us specifically not to.

pretty much all my professors said things like "it doesn't matter one way or another. you can do just as well not citing a case at all as you can by making use of them." while i guess from what i've just read this might be true, at the time i didn't believe them for a hot second.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:11 pm

So JazzOne is top 1%? How did he figure that out if so many other people haven't gotten their grades yet.

Oh and if that's true, why would you consider transferring? Isn't UT giving you a full ride?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:16 pm

legends159 wrote:So JazzOne is top 1%? How did he figure that out if so many other people haven't gotten their grades yet.

Oh and if that's true, why would you consider transferring? Isn't UT giving you a full ride?

I was just inquiring about transfering. I seriously doubt I'll do it, but it's fun to think about for now.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Both of my profs that had closed book tests specifically said citing cases is not necessary and does not help you.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:27 pm

I cited Erie on CivPro. That's about the extent of my case citing.

I also used the phrase "like the case with the whales and the lance" on Property. I guess that counts.

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

wiscgrl03

Postby wiscgrl03 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Got grades on Friday! They were all posted at 5 and the server over loaded and I couldn't log in until 5:20, that was a really long 20 minutes. 3.75 though so I was pretty happy, but I am T3 so not that amazing overall.

To contribute to the citation discussion, everyone of mine said don't cite and that they thought it was stupid to cite on exams, unless you were citing Pinkerton or Erie.

etudiantededroit

Postby etudiantededroit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Ugh, I've felt sick to my stomach all month waiting for these to be released. My school told us that we'd have grades on Jan 1 if we filled out course evaluations, and it wasn't until last week that they clarified/reneged (and now claims that we'll have them next week). Which means, of course, that I've been on edge every time I've logged into our school site for the past 3 weeks...and I can't help but feel that my school deliberately mislead us just to get us to fill out our course evaluations.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:43 pm

betasteve wrote:Most of my profs said you'd be awarded no points for citing to cases (K's is the exception).

Wait until Con Law?

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Lxw wrote:
betasteve wrote:Most of my profs said you'd be awarded no points for citing to cases (K's is the exception).

Wait until Con Law?

In none of my classes the professors cared if you cited cases or not.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:57 pm

In the first 3 class periods, my Ks prof has said "and what could you cite for authority on that position?" 14 times. I'm going to assume I better be prepared to cite cases in this course. It's completely open note, so I'm not too concerned.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

re: citing cases, I only read the cases once but could remember all of the facts perfectly. My professors were all over case names so I used them. Law schools do teach case comparison as legal reasoning, so maybe some professors like to see it on exams. We'll have to ask them.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Snooker wrote:re: citing cases, I only read the cases once but could remember all of the facts perfectly. My professors were all over case names so I used them. Law schools do teach case comparison as legal reasoning, so maybe some professors like to see it on exams. We'll have to ask them.

do you not realize how obnoxious you are?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:08 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:22 pm

superserial wrote:
Snooker wrote:re: citing cases, I only read the cases once but could remember all of the facts perfectly. My professors were all over case names so I used them. Law schools do teach case comparison as legal reasoning, so maybe some professors like to see it on exams. We'll have to ask them.

do you not realize how obnoxious you are?

He almost certainly doesn't.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:44 pm

betasteve wrote:Banning is imminent.

For who?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:46 pm

betasteve wrote:
rayiner wrote:

For who?

Everyone, but mostly Snooker.

Is being a giant dork a bannable offense?

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:50 pm

rayiner wrote:
betasteve wrote:
rayiner wrote:

For who?

Everyone, but mostly Snooker.

Is being a giant dork a bannable offense?

To betasteve, everything is a bannable offense

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:51 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

illegalcheeser

Postby illegalcheeser » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Last edited by illegalcheeser on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:15 pm

illegalcheeser wrote:Just wanted to offer up some more randomness:

Got an A- in Legal Writing, A in Civ Pro, A+ (booked?) in Torts, .....and a freaking B- in Property. I don't need to tell you that I studied for them all roughly equally and actually had the most time to study for property. I don't understand law school sometimes

Yikes that's frustrating. But depending on how the A+ factors into your GPA (and how your school curves), you should still be looking at a great position going into 2nd semester.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:25 pm

I still need 2 more grades....arghhhhhhhhhh.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”