Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 pm

superserial wrote:it's not a pro-tip for people who aren't socially retarded attention hookers.

So what you're saying is, it's not a pro-tip for people who aren't TLS regulars?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:51 pm

betasteve wrote:I'mma ban some grade-whoring motherfuckers.

:D

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:54 pm

superserial wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:
apper123 wrote:Pro-tip: when drinking with a bunch of law students on the first weekend, don't get involved in grade conversations.

Told ya so

Is this a serious pro-tip? Not to sound like a dick, but if you were even moderately like you were in this thread (where the anonymity factor makes it reasonably acceptable), everyone probably hated you. How would that not be obvious?

it's not a pro-tip for people who aren't socially retarded attention hookers.

haha i didnt say anything about my grades except to 3-4 very close friends and in private. the general discussion just got ugly with everyone angry and drunk and confused about how rank works. i kept my mouth shut thank you. im no fool.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:59 pm

apper123 wrote:haha i didnt say anything about my grades except to 3-4 very close friends and in private. the general discussion just got ugly with everyone angry and drunk and confused about how rank works. i kept my mouth shut thank you. im no fool.

Do you think that people would really get all that mad at you? I mean, I guess I can see why I would be turned off by someone drunkenly bragging about his top 10% class rank, but I don't see what would be so taboo about a group of friends talking about grades. I know they're important for employment and whatnot, but I dunno....I guess I would think that beyond that it wouldn't matter that much.

Then again, as this thread has clearly shown, I'm totally naive as to all this stuff.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:01 pm

heyguys wrote:Do you think that people would really get all that mad at you? I mean, I guess I can see why I would be turned off by someone drunkenly bragging about his top 10% class rank, but I don't see what would be so taboo about a group of friends talking about grades. I know they're important for employment and whatnot, but I dunno....I guess I would think that beyond that it wouldn't matter that much.

Then again, as this thread has clearly shown, I'm totally naive as to all this stuff.

There is no such thing as a friend in law school. That person you think is your friend is actually your rival competition.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Lxw wrote:There is no such thing as a friend in law school. That person you think is your friend is actually your rival competition.

Although I am not in total agreeent, I am more on the rival competition end of the spectrum than the friend end of the spectrum. My friendships in business school were seemingly much more profound.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:08 pm

betasteve wrote:I'mma ban some grade-whoring motherfuckers.

<3 <3 <3

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:09 pm

I wouldn't consider bringing up grades with somebody who couldn't use the information (a study partner or an HLS 0L asking about study techniques come to mind). Maybe a few choice friends at other law schools.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:11 pm

mallard wrote:I wouldn't consider bringing up grades with somebody who couldn't use the information (a study partner or an HLS 0L asking about study techniques come to mind). Maybe a few choice friends at other law schools.

Like me, for example. :wink:

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Well. Yes.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:16 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:44 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Lxw wrote:There is no such thing as a friend in law school. That person you think is your friend is actually your rival competition.

Although I am not in total agreeent, I am more on the rival competition end of the spectrum than the friend end of the spectrum. My friendships in business school were seemingly much more profound.

I suppose my experience has been a bit different. I don't really see my law school friends as competition, and I hope they don't see me that way. I prefer to think of the fact that, statistically speaking, all my close friends here could make Coif and there would still be room for me. :lol:

superserial

Postby superserial » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:53 pm

betasteve wrote:
rayiner wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

I suppose my experience has been a bit different. I don't really see my law school friends as competition, and I hope they don't see me that way. I prefer to think of the fact that, statistically speaking, all my close friends here could make Coif and there would still be room for me. :lol:

Same. Inside my group, I feel there is a fair amount of cooperation. That cooperation does fall off drastically outside of our circle, though.

I feel like there's a great deal of cooperation among my close friends, and even *gasp* people going out of their way to help each other.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:54 pm

I've only discussed exactly what my grades and GPA are with one person, and that's because we both (through a really funny, awkward conversation) determined our grades were very similar (his are actually even better than mine, guess I'm not #1 haha) and so we are able to talk transfer options, grades, how to handle different situations with each other, and that is nice.

I've talked to some of my very close friends here to get their advice on Chicago ED, but only 1 or 2 of them and only with getting their approval beforehand to talk about it. Of course I swear everyone I tell to secrecy. It's amazing how touchy this subject can get. CALI awards are coming out soon, though, and my school does post them. I'm pretty sure I have one, possibly two, so we'll see how that goes.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:56 pm

sophie316 wrote:Anyone at NYU got grades? They're due by tomorrow and I still have none.

the wait sucks. I think it's just our section. anyway, we finally got one yesterday.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:59 pm

The grade wait is going to be even sicker after 2nd semester. Not looking forward to it.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:01 pm

rayiner wrote:I suppose my experience has been a bit different. I don't really see my law school friends as competition, and I hope they don't see me that way. I prefer to think of the fact that, statistically speaking, all my close friends here could make Coif and there would still be room for me. :lol:

Yeah, there is room for ~28 to make coif at NU. Our section seems to be overly competitive. I only see classmates as competition with respect to rankings and not so much jobs as there are very few classmates pursuing the same legal markets as I am.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:03 pm

apper123 wrote:The grade wait is going to be even sicker after 2nd semester. Not looking forward to it.

Perhaps. However, the challange that I had with the wait for the semester is having no real idea of where I stood with respect to everyone else. At least I will have some point of reference next semester.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:12 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Yeah, there is room for ~28 to make coif at NU. Our section seems to be overly competitive. I only see classmates as competition with respect to rankings and not so much jobs as there are very few classmates pursuing the same legal markets as I am.

Possibly. One proviso is that only a few of my good friends are in my section, and they're extremely chill dudes and dudettes. So I'm not really competing directly against any of my friends, at least not for 1L year.
Last edited by rayiner on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:12 pm

betasteve wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
apper123 wrote:The grade wait is going to be even sicker after 2nd semester. Not looking forward to it.

Perhaps. However, the challange that I had with the wait for the semester is having no real idea of where I stood with respect to everyone else. At least I will have some point of reference next semester.

I have no grades from this semester and you motherfuckers are talking about next semester? omgfuckinggodoneoneoneoneone I am soo close to banning again.

Fixed.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:14 pm

betasteve wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

I have no grades from this semester and you motherfuckers are talking about next semester? omgfuckinggodoneoneoneoneone I am soo close to banning.

do it. please, please do it. the grade drought is unbearable :x

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Very interesting to see that JazzOne wound up in the top 1%* or so of the class after making a hardcore effort to read ahead and learn all the legal rules before starting class. And he's not burned out, I imagine he's quite pumped up after this. That makes 2 cases I've read on TLS of people doing a large pre-study of their classes and placing at the very top of the class. So much for telling him that this was a mistake.

* Rough estimation based on nalp law schools, any student who has 3 of the same grades and qualifies for HYS would be in the top percent.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:26 pm

mallard wrote:I wouldn't consider bringing up grades with somebody who couldn't use the information (a study partner or an HLS 0L asking about study techniques come to mind). Maybe a few choice friends at other law schools.

so how'd you do?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”