Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:06 am

mallard wrote:The one I read had been an open exam. Regardless, my license or whatever has run out. I could probably download it again, but I don't think it's worth the effort at this point; I hardly remember the hypos or the class material.

Yeah, rereading exams doesn't seem useful at all to me without having the original fact pattern to compare it to. I put that shit out of mind weeks ago.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:10 am

mallard wrote:The one I read had been an open exam. Regardless, my license or whatever has run out. I could probably download it again, but I don't think it's worth the effort at this point; I hardly remember the hypos or the class material.

Makes sense. Thanks, Mal. I didn't want to see them anyway. :twisted:

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:08 am

HAMBONE wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:I have a joke:

Q: What's worse than not having grades?

A: Having your grades.

Wait, that's not funny at all. This board needs a killself emoticon.

truth. I got my grade, stared at the screen, refreshed the page twice, and thought "I really didn't want to know about this after all."

one grade which isn't exactly great makes you so much more anxious and fearful of the rest. I got my property grade (medianish) an hour ago and I have already downed a 6 pack. Now the waiting for the rest of them will be even more terrible :evil:

^^^This.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 am

To counter, getting 3 phenomenal grades puts images of sugar plums and fairies dancing in my head, but if that last grade comes and is awful, the sugar plums and fairies will be torched and die a fiery death on my brain, which will probably be painful (to the sugar plums and fairies as well as me).

superserial

Postby superserial » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:16 am

apper123 wrote:To counter, getting 3 phenomenal grades puts images of sugar plums and fairies dancing in my head, but if that last grade comes and is awful, the sugar plums and fairies will be torched and die a fiery death on my brain, which will probably be painful (to the sugar plums and fairies as well as me).

I feel soooo bad for you.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 am

superserial wrote:
apper123 wrote:To counter, getting 3 phenomenal grades puts images of sugar plums and fairies dancing in my head, but if that last grade comes and is awful, the sugar plums and fairies will be torched and die a fiery death on my brain, which will probably be painful (to the sugar plums and fairies as well as me).

I'm just being ridiculous because I've somehow convinced myself (after rereading the exam 3 times) that my last grade will be awful. Ignore me. I'm being an idiot. We'll see what happens.

And if CLS is Columbia, then I'll gladly switch spots with you :-P grade wise and school wise!

superserial

Postby superserial » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:47 am

apper123 wrote:
superserial wrote:

I'm just being ridiculous because I've somehow convinced myself (after rereading the exam 3 times) that my last grade will be awful. Ignore me. I'm being an idiot. We'll see what happens.

And if CLS is Columbia, then I'll gladly switch spots with you :-P grade wise and school wise!

you know what you're doing... that's how you got baller grades in your other classes.

you want a pass in LRW and NA, NA, NA in civ pro, contracts and torts? :P

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 am

Looks like another Contracts section will have a grade posted today... but not for my section. FML.

superserial

Postby superserial » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:22 am

vanwinkle wrote:Looks like another Contracts section will have a grade posted today... but not for my section. FML.

if you don't get an A then grades are completely arbitrary.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 am

vanwinkle wrote:Looks like another Contracts section will have a grade posted today... but not for my section. FML.

wait... what? I only see Setear's course evaluations up on Lawweb. (This is how neurotic grades have made me; getting one grade has only made it worse)

Edit: nevermind, I see now.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:32 am

napolnic wrote:

wait... what? I only see Setear's course evaluations up on Lawweb. (This is how neurotic grades have made me; getting one grade has only made it worse)

I'm showing course evaluations up for Johnson also, which is new as of this morning.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Just got a lovely email from the registrar that our grades will be posted on January 25th. The same email also made it very clear that Professors need not actually have them submitted by that point. The 25th, apparently, is the day when the school will begin pestering professors to submit the grades.

That's a long ass wait.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:32 pm

caoyun wrote:Just got a lovely email from the registrar that our grades will be posted on January 25th. The same email also made it very clear that Professors need not actually have them submitted by that point. The 25th, apparently, is the day when the school will begin pestering professors to submit the grades.

That's a long ass wait.

+1....hey pay attention to Con Law!!!

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 pm

got my contracts grade today - 92. I need the torts grade to be 90+ to be top 25%. Unfortunately i felt the worse coming out of torts relative to most of the people I talked to.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Sucks to be you loser! Bet you wish you has 3 Cs!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Lol

+1

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:19 pm

This is so frustrating. Last week I thought the suffering would end once I got my first grade. I don't think it makes a difference - I won't be satisfied until I have them all.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Cavalier wrote:This is so frustrating. Last week I thought the suffering would end once I got my first grade. I don't think it makes a difference - I won't be satisfied until I have them all.

I just need enough to bust my pipedream of being above the median, then I won't be looking forward to them.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:20 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:This is so frustrating. Last week I thought the suffering would end once I got my first grade. I don't think it makes a difference - I won't be satisfied until I have them all.

Since it could take until late to mid February

Seriously? That's brutal.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:47 pm

apper123 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Since it could take until late to mid February

Seriously? That's brutal.

One of our professors has a reputation for not starting to grade exams until Feb. 1, and I don't know how much truth there is to that, so who knows how long it will actually be.

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Since it could take until late to mid February
, I think we'll have a lot of drinking to do once we're all back in Cville. When do you get into town?

Ugh. Did you say you got confirmation from someone that he really, truly does wait that long to turn in grades? I used to think it was funny, but now it just sounds excruciating. I may wait until both remaining grades are up before I check either; I can't stomach another single grade and all the hypotheticals running through my mind afterward.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Since it could take until late to mid February, I think we'll have a lot of drinking to do once we're all back in Cville. When do you get into town?

Friday the 22nd!

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Our section is still the only section gradeless in a class (all grades were due yesterday morning and were to be posted immediately afterwards). We've received no word as to why or when we should expect a grade. We've heard rumors, but that's it.

We think(???) there's a decent chance it's posted sometime in the next 50 minutes. We've all been obsessively refreshing the grade site all day long. This is truly sad. My stomach hurts.

superserial

Postby superserial » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:35 pm

apper123 wrote:Our section is still the only section gradeless in a class (all grades were due yesterday morning and were to be posted immediately afterwards). We've received no word as to why or when we should expect a grade. We've heard rumors, but that's it.

We think(???) there's a decent chance it's posted sometime in the next 50 minutes. We've all been obsessively refreshing the grade site all day long. This is truly sad. My stomach hurts.

we're the only section gradeless.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”