Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RVP11

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby RVP11 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:24 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
kobeoverlebron wrote:lsat was probaly worse. In law school they don't fail you unless you basically don't know a thing. Even then you will probaly get a C-.

With the LSAT if you do awful you may end up going to law school in Wisconsin or some cold place you hate. Or some hot place you hate.

Even if i some how got all C's. There is always next semester.

It's curved. Getting a C- is a failing grade.

Getting worse than a B at a B+ curve school or a B- at a B curve school means you did really bad. Getting worse than a B- or C+ respectively means that you basically hit your head randomly against the keyboard for four hours.

IDK about that. In a class of 90, like 5 people might get a B-, and there's no guarantee that anyone is doing absolutely terribly. That's the nature of the curve. I had every possible bad thing happen in the leadup to my Contracts exam. But I expect enough from my classmates that I don't think I'm somehow guaranteed a B or better just because I wrote coherently and spoke to some small % of the issues. I won't be shocked by a poor grade - I think it would be arrogant of me to think that even at my worst I still beat out X% of my classmates.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:28 pm

apper123 wrote:i woke up pretty upset. took me like 5 mins to convince myself it was just a dream.

I had basically the exact same dream, except it was one A then 3 C+s (lowest grade given at my school).

Hamlet had it right: I could find myself bound up in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not for the fact that I have bad dreams.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:32 pm

I have had all sorts of law school and exam dreams. Dreamt I was back at my exams, dreamt I was studying for my exams, dreamt I slept through exams, dreamt I got grades.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:44 pm

mallard wrote:I have had all sorts of law school and exam dreams. Dreamt I was back at my exams, dreamt I was studying for my exams, dreamt I slept through exams, dreamt I got grades.
I mostly dream that I'm taking exams and just giving terrible answers.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:54 pm

I dreamed that I answered my torts exam purely in sticker form. No words. Just lots of stickers on the page.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Posted this in the wrong thread just now, but I just remembered a dream I had where all of my answers were purely conclusory. Like "x will work because elements a, b, and c are met." I wonder if I actually did only that on any of my exams.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:00 pm

I definitely did that on at least some questions on some exams.

freegaladvice

Postby freegaladvice » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:42 pm

mallard wrote:Posted this in the wrong thread just now, but I just remembered a dream I had where all of my answers were purely conclusory. Like "x will work because elements a, b, and c are met." I wonder if I actually did only that on any of my exams.

Uh oh, is this bad?

badfish

Postby badfish » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:47 pm

i can honestly say i hadn't really thought about it.

thanks for the reminder tls... good times.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:49 pm

freegaladvice wrote:
mallard wrote:Posted this in the wrong thread just now, but I just remembered a dream I had where all of my answers were purely conclusory. Like "x will work because elements a, b, and c are met." I wonder if I actually did only that on any of my exams.

Uh oh, is this bad?

After thinking about it for a bit, I'd say no. This definitely depends on whether the prof intended any fact or element to be ambiguous, though. But if it's obvious that certain elements are met, I doubt you're getting many (if any) extra points for spelling it out.

freegaladvice

Postby freegaladvice » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:00 pm

If you'd said differently I think I might /killself.

polaris769

Postby polaris769 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:37 pm

I had a dream I took my civ pro exam again, with different questions. Sigh, and I actually thought I did alright on civ pro. I don't even want to think about dreaming of some of my other exams.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:07 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
freegaladvice wrote:

Uh oh, is this bad?

After thinking about it for a bit, I'd say no. This definitely depends on whether the prof intended any fact or element to be ambiguous, though. But if it's obvious that certain elements are met, I doubt you're getting many (if any) extra points for spelling it out.

I hope this is right too. I did well on the more complicated or more obscure stuff. I don't think I did great on the basic stuff.

ak362

Postby ak362 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:30 pm

No post-exam dreams, though I did dream before taking my first (CivPro) that I was in the exam room ready to take my CivPro exam when my Ks (last exam) professor walks in and says, "There's been a slight change, folks, you'll be taking the Contracts exam first, and the Civil Procedure exam last. Sorry for the mixup." Proctor then walks in, proceeds to hand out exams, and I see some question about widgets...

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:32 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
freegaladvice wrote:

Uh oh, is this bad?

I did this on some issues. There are some that are more straightforward and aren't the real issues the teacher is looking for, so it isn't always a bad thing... I hope. At least that's what it mentioned in GTM - not everything deserves a several paragraph analysis (sometimes 2 sentences suffices).

mallard wrote:I have had all sorts of law school and exam dreams. Dreamt I was back at my exams, dreamt I was studying for my exams, dreamt I slept through exams, dreamt I got grades.

Yeah, had a dream where I landed a C-, C-, C semester. I woke up distraught and it took me 10 minutes to realize it was a dream and get that pit out of my stomach. Yikes.

markymark

Postby markymark » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Waiting for 1L grades is so much EASIER than waiting for the LSAT.

I was anxious to get my LSAT back because I knew there was a chance I did really well. I know I got killed on my LS finals. LS grades are going to ruin my mood.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:49 pm

markymark wrote:Waiting for 1L grades is so much EASIER than waiting for the LSAT.

I was anxious to get my LSAT back because I knew there was a chance I did really well. I know I got killed on my LS finals. LS grades are going to ruin my mood.

The 'expect the worst' strategy I see.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:43 pm

So I took a class in the b-school as an elective. There were 50 people in the class, and the exam was completed at 10PM on 12/22. It was a real 20 page business case, and then there were "issue spotter" type questions and it was written in blue books (the average person filled out close to an entire bluebook). The prof had all the grades completed by 12/24 and turned in that night and emailed out all the scores (by ID #), the median, etc on the morning of 12/25... I wonder if law profs essentially do this same thing but instead just start grading them 3-5 days prior to when grades are due.

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:38 am

i have a professor who already emailed a model answer and the grade distribution to us, but not our individual grades

ak362

Postby ak362 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:41 am

lawschool7777 wrote:i have a professor who already emailed a model answer and the grade distribution to us, but not our individual grades

That's just evil, but maybe your school's grade submission process (through the Registrar?) is a bit tedious and therefore it'll take a while for grades to show? In that case, totally legit.

At least it wasn't on Christmas Day.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:42 am

lawschool7777 wrote:i have a professor who already emailed a model answer and the grade distribution to us, but not our individual grades

that is horrible. i don't know if i could be gunnerish enough to look at the model answer and compare what i think my answer was. it probably wouldn't end well if i did anyway.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Dreamt about Civ Pro last night.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:54 pm

It gets worse, waiting for callbacks.

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Oblomov wrote:It gets worse, waiting for callbacks.

I went through a period last fall where I kept thinking that my phone had vibrated. Sadly, it had not.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Oblomov wrote:It gets worse, waiting for callbacks.

Depending on these grades, we may not have any illusions about receiving callbacks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”