Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OperaAttorney

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
Esc wrote:I'm beginning to hate all professors everywhere :evil:

Still no grades???

Not a one

I still envy you. I hate the one-grade-a-week scenario. I really wanted them all at once. But alas...

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:00 pm

I've now decided that having grades without a corresponding percentile is almost as painful as having none at all. Damn you unpublished curve.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:02 pm

samiseaborn wrote:I've now decided that having grades without a corresponding percentile is almost as painful as having none at all. Damn you unpublished curve.

I averaged out the past curves for the last 3 classes, so I can kinda guess. That is, IF I HAD MY LAST GRADE.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:05 pm

apper123 wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:I've now decided that having grades without a corresponding percentile is almost as painful as having none at all. Damn you unpublished curve.

I averaged out the past curves for the last 3 classes, so I can kinda guess. That is, IF I HAD MY LAST GRADE.

At least you HAVE a grade. Sounds like you have three. We at Penn apparently still have about two weeks til we get our grades.

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:08 pm

apper123 wrote:

We've got one of those min/max curves for each class, and no published 'final' curve, so I can't even begin to guess. :(

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:10 pm

samiseaborn wrote:
apper123 wrote:

We've got one of those min/max curves for each class, and no published 'final' curve, so I can't even begin to guess. :(

well they just show "top 25%, top 50% and top 75%" and the # of people in each section as well as the min max for each section. Knowing that I was able to divine out what was what.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:52 pm

TTT-LS wrote:NU grades are up.

Well they're trickling in...

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:08 pm

betasteve wrote:

motherfuckers I will ban you all.

ftfy

NDDT

Postby NDDT » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:11 pm

rayiner wrote:

Well they're trickling in...

Only need CLR, the most anticipated grade of all...

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:14 pm

I feel like this thread would be the ultimate 'LSAT motivator' thread. Any time anyone posts about lacking LSAT motivation or whatever, they should just get a link to this thread that says: "You next year."

Abandon all hope, ye who enter this place.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 pm

heyguys wrote:I feel like this thread would be the ultimate 'LSAT motivator' thread. Any time anyone posts about lacking LSAT motivation or whatever, they should just get a link to this thread that says: "You next year."

Yeah, peeps just now sweatin' the LSAT have no idea what real anxiety is like. The LSAT is just a free sample compared to this.

underwhere759

Postby underwhere759 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Got an email today saying they hope to have our grades posted by next friday.But will e-mail us the date and time they will come out when they know.

I immediately felt nauseous and scared , I doubt that will end til I know.....

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
heyguys wrote:I feel like this thread would be the ultimate 'LSAT motivator' thread. Any time anyone posts about lacking LSAT motivation or whatever, they should just get a link to this thread that says: "You next year."

Yeah, peeps just now sweatin' the LSAT have no idea what real anxiety is like. The LSAT is just a free sample compared to this.

Well, I wasn't meaning to denigrate them...I probably don't know what 'real anxiety' is like either. Heck, a friend of mine in another small group has a 24 hour con law final that's graded on pass/fail.....I can't imagine less stress.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 pm

I have a joke:

Q: What's worse than not having grades?

A: Having your grades.

Wait, that's not funny at all. This board needs a killself emoticon.

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 pm

apper123 wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:
apper123 wrote:

well they just show "top 25%, top 50% and top 75%" and the # of people in each section as well as the min max for each section. Knowing that I was able to divine out what was what.

Ah, I finally might have found something! My school really went out of their way to make sure it wasn't published anywhere, but this was hidden on the scholarships page:

Top 40%=3.22 50%=3.116 65%=2.975 I'm horrible at statistics, I'll love you forever math people if you tell me what a 3.52 would be on that curve! My guess is around ~15%?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Renzo wrote:I have a joke:

truth. I got my grade, stared at the screen, refreshed the page twice, and thought "I really didn't want to know about this after all."

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:I have a joke:

truth. I got my grade, stared at the screen, refreshed the page twice, and thought "I really didn't want to know about this after all."

one grade which isn't exactly great makes you so much more anxious and fearful of the rest. I got my property grade (medianish) an hour ago and I have already downed a 6 pack. Now the waiting for the rest of them will be even more terrible :evil:

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:11 pm

these grade threads are making me thirsty

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 pm

doyleoil wrote:these grade threads are making me thirsty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaLpHoZA8E

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:Hello class, welcome to introduction to practical statistics for nervous fucking law students.

I think that, at least for this short interval between "grades aren't out yet" and "I have a grasp of my class rank now", you are quickly becoming everyone's favorite poster.

Cherish it while it lasts. :mrgreen:

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
doyleoil wrote:these grade threads are making me thirsty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaLpHoZA8E

i like this guy

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:Ah, I finally might have found something! My school really went out of their way to make sure it wasn't published anywhere, but this was hidden on the scholarships page:

Top 40%=3.22 50%=3.116 65%=2.975 I'm horrible at statistics, I'll love you forever math people if you tell me what a 3.52 would be on that curve! My guess is around ~15%?

Hello class, welcome to introduction to practical statistics for nervous fucking law students.

Assume: A normal distribution. I don't care if you don't want to, I have been through enough data to believe that grade distributions at most law schools at least become normal after a year. If you don't like it, you can do your own math.

3.116 is the average/mean.

We must calculate the standard deviation. First, we take top 40% which is 3.22-3.116 = .104. We can figure out how many standard deviations above the curve .104 is by consulting a Z-table (LinkRemoved), which tells us that for a normal distribution the top 40th percentile is roughly .25 standard deviations above the mean.

.25 * (standard deviation) = .104

Standard deviation = .416

Let's check with the other statistic, which is that top 65% or bottom 35% = 2.975. 2.975-3.116 = -.141. bottom 35% = -.38 standard deviations below the mean.

-.38 * (standard deviation) = -.141 = .371

Thus the standard deviation is somewhere between .371, ad .416. Let's average them and move on. I declare the standard deviation is .393

So what is a 3.52?

3.52 - 3.116 = .404 above the mean. That is 1.03 standard deviations above the mean. Under a normal distrobution, that is exactly top 15.39%.

Congrats OP, you got the right answer without looking like a nerd XD

Many (most?) law schools do not use a normal distribution. My school puts 46% of students in the "B" category, with only 5% below that. It's a crazy two-humped curve, not a normal distribution.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:23 pm

Every section in the school has all their grades except mine, which is missing one grade. This one grade for me could mean top 5 % or it could mean top 25 % or if complete disaster strikes it could mean top 50 %. I. need. to. know. Professors were required to turn their grades in by today. Clearly this didn't happen for my section and my section only.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”