Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Starting the semester off in style, with feedback whatsoever on anything law school related... :|

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:42 pm

I was about to delete Koh-i-noor and post from now on as UVA hating Darya-ye Noor but I have good intel that I'll get a grade back today.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby OperaAttorney » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:58 pm

apper123 wrote:another thing to consider while waiting for grades:

trying to make a last minute decision on my 2nd semester elective.

options are: corporations, environmental law, intellectual property and family law

have it narrowed down to family law and intellectual property now

worth noting family law has a lot of "homework" and "projects" and only 50 % of the grade is based on the final...

I have no vested interest in either subject. I'm leaning IP right now. Thoughts?


Take FAMILY LAW if you're even slightly interested in it. With a final exam that's worth only 50 % of the course grade, you'll appreciate your decision in May. Enjoy the breath of fresh air!

For my 2nd semester elective, there is no final exam. All I have to do is write 3 papers of reasonable length.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Prof just posted the faculty memo for a class I don't think I did very well in.

The grades, however, have not been posted.

Commence panic/"oh God I missed X, Y, Z issues and am going to fail" mode... now.

User avatar
Tree
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Tree » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:01 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Prof just posted the faculty memo for a class I don't think I did very well in.

The grades, however, have not been posted.

Commence panic/"oh God I missed X, Y, Z issues and am going to fail" mode... now.




What is a faculty memo?

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Tree wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Prof just posted the faculty memo for a class I don't think I did very well in.

The grades, however, have not been posted.

Commence panic/"oh God I missed X, Y, Z issues and am going to fail" mode... now.




What is a faculty memo?


Prof basically writes an answer to his own exam and posts it, along with commentary about where people screwed up.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I was about to delete Koh-i-noor and post from now on as UVA hating Darya-ye Noor but I have good intel that I'll get a grade back today.


Crim?

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby napolnic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:33 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I was about to delete Koh-i-noor and post from now on as UVA hating Darya-ye Noor but I have good intel that I'll get a grade back today.


Crim?

Yup

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:54 pm

i was told grades would be at my school today, and....they came in early this past Friday. all of them, at once. i can't imagine not having any of them still, or having to wait as they trickled in, one by one by one....

/banned yet?

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby apper123 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:04 pm

To answer the others: yeah it's like divorces and custody battles. I'm not super interested in IP either. I just don't know what to do.

OperaAttorney wrote:
apper123 wrote:another thing to consider while waiting for grades:

trying to make a last minute decision on my 2nd semester elective.

options are: corporations, environmental law, intellectual property and family law

have it narrowed down to family law and intellectual property now

worth noting family law has a lot of "homework" and "projects" and only 50 % of the grade is based on the final...

I have no vested interest in either subject. I'm leaning IP right now. Thoughts?


Take FAMILY LAW if you're even slightly interested in it. With a final exam that's worth only 50 % of the course grade, you'll appreciate your decision in May. Enjoy the breath of fresh air!

For my 2nd semester elective, there is no final exam. All I have to do is write 3 papers of reasonable length.


I mean yeah that's nice, but I think the final will still be worth most of the course grade by the end. 20 % of the grade is based off of "participation" (which frightens me since I'm not used to raising my hand in class... not that I'm afraid of talking in front of people... I just don't like to participate very much), and the other 20-30 % (the final is somewhere between 50-60 % i havent nailed down what exactly yet) is based off of a graded divorce negotiation. I'd probably excel in the divorce negotiation, but I still dunno.

I can't make a decision and both classes start tomorrow. AShadsfsdf

There's nearly 80 people in the Family Law section too and probably closer to 30-35 in the IP section if that makes a difference.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:39 pm

napolnic wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I was about to delete Koh-i-noor and post from now on as UVA hating Darya-ye Noor but I have good intel that I'll get a grade back today.


Crim?

Yup


Almost end of business today (EST) and we still don't have it. :cry: (This is assuming I'm checking the right place - SIS right?)

I had to hold back laughter when a judge's clerk asked me to bring my law school transcript to the interview this week.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm

My contracts professor sent us all an email this morning. It contained the raw score distribution for the final along with brief model answers for the test. Great right? Except he didn't release the grades. He said we could pick up our exams Wednesday afternoon. lj;kdfsakl;adsfasdfjlkdsaf

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby apper123 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:50 pm

is it gunnerish to go to a prof of a class you got a good grade in and ask to review the exam?

eth3n
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby eth3n » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Its fine if you don't care about getting an academic reference from the prof =P

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:02 pm

eth3n wrote:Its fine if you don't care about getting an academic reference from the prof =P

lol

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:10 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I was about to delete Koh-i-noor and post from now on as UVA hating Darya-ye Noor but I have good intel that I'll get a grade back today.


Crim?

Yup. Except that the GRADE ISN'T UP. SWITCHING TOONS.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby A'nold » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

5 classes last semester, 6 this semester.

HAMBONE
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:27 pm

I finally get to pick up my open memo tomorrow (we won't know the actual grade for a few more days though) fuck graded LRW

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Finally got all of my grades; not as pleased as I would like to be, but certainly not disappointed.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:52 pm

mistergoft wrote:Finally got all of my grades; not as pleased as I would like to be, but certainly not disappointed.

WHAT DID YOU GET

Hera
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Hera » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:56 pm

quote: <Almost end of business today (EST) and we still don't have it. :cry: (This is assuming I'm checking the right place - SIS right?)>


UVA folks that have been able to view a grade, where exactly did you find it in SIS?

Thanks.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Hera wrote:quote: <Almost end of business today (EST) and we still don't have it. :cry: (This is assuming I'm checking the right place - SIS right?)>


UVA folks that have been able to view a grade, where exactly did you find it in SIS?

Thanks.


Once you're logged into SIS, the default page that comes up should have a drop-down menu in the "Academics" section (middle of the page) that says "other academic..." Drop down the menu, pick "Grades" from the options, and click the arrow next to the menu to proceed.

That should do it.

Hera
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Hera » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Hera wrote:quote: <Almost end of business today (EST) and we still don't have it. :cry: (This is assuming I'm checking the right place - SIS right?)>


UVA folks that have been able to view a grade, where exactly did you find it in SIS?

Thanks.


Once you're logged into SIS, the default page that comes up should have a drop-down menu in the "Academics" section (middle of the page) that says "other academic..." Drop down the menu, pick "Grades" from the options, and click the arrow next to the menu to proceed.

That should do it.



Thanks a bunch!

BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby BobSacamano » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Got my first grade back, finally. B, right smack dab in the middle of our curve. I guess I've been saying all along that I'm shooting for a B average, but this is a class I was hoping to do well in. Oh well, I guess it's not the end of the world.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cdotson2, hairbear7, lymenheimer, pancakes3, Tiddlywinks and 3 guests