Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
apper123

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby apper123 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:07 pm

while waiting for grades, consider this

my con law professor expects us to brief every case and will randomly collect our briefs throughout the semester. sigh. i briefed maybe 1 case in the first semester.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:09 pm

apper123 wrote:while waiting for grades, consider this

my con law professor expects us to brief every case and will randomly collect our briefs throughout the semester. sigh. i briefed maybe 1 case in the first semester.

Holy crap. What % of your grade is determined by this idiocy?

FWIW, briefing is more helpful for Con Law than it is for most other classes... but this is still retarded.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Holy crap. What % of your grade is determined by this idiocy?

FWIW, briefing is more helpful for Con Law than it is for most other classes... but this is still retarded.

he doesnt make it clear

just says he may "refer" to them while grading

sounds like it could be similar to the class participation threats we often get

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 pm

I also want to contest the notion that 95% of exams will be "brilliant" at HYS.

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:58 pm

Wow. Even if the prof really was delusional enough to think briefs 'help' you learn, it would have maybe made more sense first semester when everyone learning how to learn. That just sucks, I'm sorry.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:00 pm

samiseaborn wrote:

Wow. Even if the prof really was delusional enough to think briefs 'help' you learn, it would have maybe made more sense first semester when everyone learning how to learn. That just sucks, I'm sorry.

I think briefing helped me a lot last semester. I must be completely delusional.

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:15 pm

mallard wrote:I also want to contest the notion that 95% of exams will be "brilliant" at HYS.

In the absence of a strict B- (or any) curve, you're probably correct.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:16 pm

mallard wrote:I also want to contest the notion that 95% of exams will be "brilliant" at HYS.

Ha, in fact, I think I would probably contest the notion that the average exam at HYS is of better quality than the average exam across the T14. My hunch is that this would probably be more true of HY than of S since S has the book awards for the top 10%, but I don't know much about how gunner the folks at H and S are.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Harvard also has book awards and has LPs. The grading system is not that far from any other T14. But the students aren't that far from any other T14, either.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:21 pm

JazzOne wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:

I think briefing helped me a lot last semester. I must be completely delusional.

+1

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:22 pm

I plan to continue briefing cases this semester... depending on what I find out in two weeks.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:55 pm

mallard wrote:I plan to continue briefing cases this semester... depending on what I find out in two weeks.

Yeah, but at the same time mallard, at least compared to the folks I know at HLS and what they've said to me about the general feel of the class, you seem to be anomalously gunner :P . I don't know anyone at SLS though, so can't really speak to it at all.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:41 pm

mistergoft wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:

+1

I briefed every single case i read, and I continue to do so. It helps me a lot too... I remembered many of the cases during the tests and that helped me spot the issues.

conn09

Postby conn09 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:07 pm

heyguys wrote:
mallard wrote:I plan to continue briefing cases this semester... depending on what I find out in two weeks.

Yeah, but at the same time mallard, at least compared to the folks I know at HLS and what they've said to me about the general feel of the class, you seem to be anomalously gunner :P . I don't know anyone at SLS though, so can't really speak to it at all.

I'm in a different section than Mallard, but my entire section was full of gunners.

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:29 pm

A seemingly rare situation here. I have 4/5 grades back already. I feel for those of you who have 0 feedback heading into next semester.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:31 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:A seemingly rare situation here. I have 4/5 grades back already. I feel for those of you who have 0 feedback heading into next semester.

They gave us all of our grades on Tuesday.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:A seemingly rare situation here. I have 4/5 grades back already. I feel for those of you who have 0 feedback heading into next semester.

IBTB.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:57 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 pm

good thing i told my family members that the professors have 3 months to grade exams. i think it might take that long.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm just surprised some people have five grades to get. FT people have three, and we have two, since LRW is a yearlong class.

Waiting on Ks. I should get some freaking tips for all the waiting I've done in the past 12 months. Yay, the NYU PILC website is letting me log in again! Honestly, I have no desire to leave, but if I ever did I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I can't believe we start tomorrow.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:16 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I'm just surprised some people have five grades to get. FT people have three, and we have two, since LRW is a yearlong class.

Waiting on Ks. I should get some freaking tips for all the waiting I've done in the past 12 months. Yay, the NYU PILC website is letting me log in again! Honestly, I have no desire to leave, but if I ever did I wouldn't go anywhere else.

<--- 5 grades...

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm waiting for 3 grades! Does that mean rayiner is 40% more nervous/anxious about his grades than I am about mine?

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 pm

rayiner wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I'm just surprised some people have five grades to get. FT people have three, and we have two, since LRW is a yearlong class.

<--- 5 grades...

6 grades total, received 1. FML

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:18 pm

badfish wrote:
Renzo wrote:You know what's pathetic? I know for a fact that all grades will be posted on the 20th, and that nothing will be available before then. The school said so in no uncertain terms. Yet, everyday I log in to look...

i never read this anywhere?

It was buried in an email from OCS, something like "transcripts will not be available until Jan 20th. After that date they can be printed from ALBERT"

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:19 pm

atlantalaw wrote:6 grades total, received 1. FML

dear god how do you manage 6 classes in one semester

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”