Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RVP11

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:31 am

C+

Dropping out. K thx bai guyz!

polaris769

Postby polaris769 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 am

I can't take this any more, I just want a single grade from any class. Can't believe how much my professors are procrastinating especially my small section professor.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Although school has already started, I'm going to Mexico for the weekend after grades are released ... although it might take a lot more than a beach and a magarita to break me out of my forthcoming blue funk ...

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:46 pm

mallard wrote:I hear people are starting to get emails that the grading is done, but we still won't get them for weeks.

Somehow knowing the grades are done makes me think mine are worse. But that can't possibly make any sense.

This. ugh.

Jenaimarre

Postby Jenaimarre » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Cornell grades came out yesterday.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:03 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:12 pm

our grades are "due" at 9 AM wednesday

does that mean they are posted 9 AM wednesday? no, it means that's the deadline for profs having them in. and if any profs miss the deadline they wont post grades until those grades are in.

asdfjadsjf

totalidiot

Postby totalidiot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:23 pm

mistergoft wrote:
mallard wrote:I hear people are starting to get emails that the grading is done, but we still won't get them for weeks.

Somehow knowing the grades are done makes me think mine are worse. But that can't possibly make any sense.

This. ugh.

Aren't the grades at Harvard (for all intents and purposes) just Honors and Pass? If so, then it's not really that big a deal anyway, right?

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:27 pm

totalidiot wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

This. ugh.

Aren't the grades at Harvard (for all intents and purposes) just Honors and Pass? If so, then it's not really that big a deal anyway, right?

i wouldn't know (not being a member of the superelite), but i'd venture to guess they actually care about that H - unlike the pass-pass pleasure cruise at, ahem, certain other schools

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:29 pm

totalidiot wrote:Aren't the grades at Harvard (for all intents and purposes) just Honors and Pass? If so, then it's not really that big a deal anyway, right?

lol. Hi again. I notice you never returned to the other thread where we discussed this topic.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:35 pm

I thought there was a mandatory LP grade at HLS. That probably causes a great deal of the worry.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah, it's pretty much A-, B, C, and it's curved. The curve has become more (or more openly) discretionary this year, but...

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:44 pm

mallard wrote:Yeah, it's pretty much A-, B, C, and it's curved. The curve has become more (or more openly) discretionary this year, but...

...ducks don't get C's

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:42 pm

betasteve wrote:
mallard wrote:
totalidiot wrote:Aren't the grades at Harvard (for all intents and purposes) just Honors and Pass? If so, then it's not really that big a deal anyway, right?

lol. Hi again. I notice you never returned to the other thread where we discussed this topic.

Aren't the grades at Yale for 1L basically just Credit/Forced Audit? That must be nice.

I'll respond:

It honestly makes me feel kind of guilty. I read threads like this and think 'These people almost certainly work a lot harder than me and probably know a ton more about the law than I do, even if a lot of it is minutiae that won't be useful down the road.' Meh, I'll study harder next semester. I have been reading this thread and just have a ton of respect for those whose grades are really important--if I were in the situation where I absolutely had to have stellar 1L grades, I honestly probably wouldn't have had the stones to take on such a heavy financial burden. So yeah, I respect folks on this thread a lot for having such a commitment to their careers and so much confidence in themselves.

Okay, as per usual cue the 'Man, YLS students are such douchebags for [insert reason].' I'll be interested to see why I am a douchebag here, because I feel like I'm being very deferential and complimentary....but maybe I'm such a douchebag that I don't recognize my own douchebaggery. We'll see.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:45 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:46 pm

heyguys wrote:
betasteve wrote:
mallard wrote:

Aren't the grades at Yale for 1L basically just Credit/Forced Audit? That must be nice.

I'll respond:

It honestly makes me feel kind of guilty. I read threads like this and think 'These people almost certainly work a lot harder than me and probably know a ton more about the law than I do, even if a lot of it is minutiae that won't be useful down the road.' Meh, I'll study harder next semester. I have been reading this thread and just have a ton of respect for those whose grades are really important--if I were in the situation where I absolutely had to have stellar 1L grades, I honestly probably wouldn't have had the stones to take on such a heavy financial burden. So yeah, I respect folks on this thread a lot for having such a commitment to their careers and so much confidence in themselves.

Okay, as per usual cue the 'Man, YLS students are such douchebags for [insert reason].' I'll be interested to see why I am a douchebag here, because I feel like I'm being very deferential and complimentary....but maybe I'm such a douchebag that I don't recognize my own douchebaggery. We'll see.

Naw, remarkably un-douchey. Except that everyone who has grades, even non-grades, before me is a douche.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Pointing out your own grace = douchebaggery, FYI. You were doing well until then.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:50 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
apper123 wrote:We got one of our 3 major grades today.

It was in the class I paid no attention in during the semester, hated the most and studied maybe 50 % for as compared to other classes.

A

dfsladslfl... now I'm really on edge for my final 2 grades. Feel like I have something to lose...

Start calculating a few non As in to the mix, and see what that does to your GPA.

Yeah, that shit sucks.

Yeah, I feel sorry for you guys. That's rough.

It's like winning the lottery then thinking about what it would be like to LOSE millions of dollars. OMG that would suck so bad.

My prayers are with you.

I am really loving your posts as of late.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:26 pm

betasteve wrote:
mallard wrote:

Why does Yale do this?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:28 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:Why does Yale do this?

The better question is probably 'why do all other schools turn 1L into a hilarious, curved, thunderdome style deathmatch'?

It makes sense to me - firms need a way to differentiate between the student body. Grades are a quick and dirty way to do this.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:58 pm

It's a myopic obsession with least common denominators.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 pm

And they wonder why there is such a high rate of alcoholism among lawyers.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:25 am

Snooker wrote:It's a myopic obsession with least common denominators.

Yes, thank you. This exactly.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:25 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:Why does Yale do this?

The better question is probably 'why do all other schools turn 1L into a hilarious, curved, thunderdome style deathmatch'?

It makes sense to me - firms need a way to differentiate between the student body. Grades are a quick and dirty way to do this.

I would love hearing others' input on this, but my general sense is that Yale doesn't grade because they don't have to. but the question of why they don't have to is the truly interesting one: the most obvious ones are prestigious name and relative scarcity of graduates. but the more interesting notion is that it's because the stuff we actually learn in law school isn't that useful for and doesn't really correlate to doing well in firm work. Grades, however, would probably correlate because employers simply use how well you can do in, e.g., torts and Ks to establish how clever you are. They probably just assume that since YLS's class is so small and reputedly so selective, the people going there have already been subjected to a rigorous enough 'screening process' to determine how clever the person they're considering is. This is how a lot of other professions work--e.g. finance and investment banking: it's not really about what you know coming out, it's about showing employers that you pick up information and can use it quickly so that you can be productive with what they want to ask of you.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”