Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mac.empress

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby mac.empress » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:59 am

thesealocust wrote:
mac.empress wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
mac.empress wrote:I can only imagine the stress. *Wishes she could store up sleep* I'm really gonna need it.

Caffeine pills are way cheaper than sleep :twisted:

+1. I can always look sleep up in the dictionary if I miss it.

Caffeine pills + Vitamins (so you don't catch the cold) is better though. To supplement the junk food diet.

I already sort of miss the non-stop dollar menu from McDonald's :-/

There are no McDonald's here. But KFC is right across from the library :(. I hate KFC after last semester. It's the only place open at 11 p.m. :(.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:03 am

JazzOne wrote:
Bankhead wrote:^
This has got to be the most subtle grade bragging I have ever seen.

It's not bragging at all. OperaAttorney, Daico, and I have been in this together for a semester. I honestly care how they did, and I enjoy chatting with them about our progress. Sorry if it came across as arrogant.

I'm actually joking. Sorry if it came across as that I wasn't.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:07 am

Just received: one Criminal Law grade. I cannot breathe or have a normal response to this.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:09 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Just received: one Criminal Law grade. I cannot breathe or have a normal response to this.

Hopefully it's in a good way :)

rest assured, it is better than mine will be!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:11 am

To the people who are talking about re-reading their exams:

Did you use examsoft? I was under the impression that the examsoft exams could not be re-opened by students.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:17 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Just received: one Criminal Law grade. I cannot breathe or have a normal response to this.

The big problem with getting your first grade is you become even more anxious to see the others and whether or not they're the same. I got my Civ Pro grade and now I'm wondering if I should expect the same in my other classes, or what.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:22 am

Bankhead wrote:

Hopefully it's in a good way :)

rest assured, it is better than mine will be!

Yours will be awesome. This was just unexpected and I can't decide how I feel about it, or even if I ought to talk to anyone. I guess I had better see what the others are before I freak out for good or ill.

BattlingBarrister

Postby BattlingBarrister » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:26 am

hombredulce wrote:To the people who are talking about re-reading their exams:

Did you use examsoft? I was under the impression that the examsoft exams could not be re-opened by students.

In the past there have been cracks for it. I haven't bothered looking for one this year so I don't know if thats what they are doing or not.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:08 am

Bankhead wrote:^
This has got to be the most subtle grade bragging I have ever seen.

I'm not bragging, really. I could be happy for simply not having failed that clusterscrew--I found it very challenging--of a torts exam. After all, Anderson's grade distribution chart is always comprehensively populated. He's given D's before.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:49 am

Sorry to hear any of you guys got stung by bad grades. The whole grading system for law school is woefully unfair, goes the common wisdom, luck, not effort or skills determines the grade you get. This is particularly infuriating when the tests are supposed to measure skill, and everyone knows that skills are developed directly through effort. Perhaps this explains the fatalism of upper class students - you'll just get what you get, no use worrying or trying hard, it doesn't matter.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:35 am

hombredulce wrote:To the people who are talking about re-reading their exams:

No we just used MS Word. I saved two copies so I could read one later.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:46 am

A'nold wrote:
mallard wrote:Pretty sure B+ is at least median almost everywhere.

I believe most schools outside of the t1 use a lot lower median, at least generally. My school is curved to like a 2.7.

mine to 2.6.... the median in my school is C+

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:47 am

I am 100% in the same boat right now.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 am

We received all our grades at the same time, the same day. I can't imagine to patiently have to wait for them to come one by one.

I know a lot of people who did exceptionally well... specially taking into account our extremely harsh curve. I think our school's administrators are going to be very surprised.... it seems like many people did a lot better than the school's current top ten students did at their time.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
A'nold wrote:
mallard wrote:Pretty sure B+ is at least median almost everywhere.

I believe most schools outside of the t1 use a lot lower median, at least generally. My school is curved to like a 2.7.

mine to 2.6.... the median in my school is C+

That is extremely harsh. We curved to 3.19 this year, and I made Rayiner work out the standard deviation. It was a tight curve, with top 10% only just above 3.5. I have a single grade back, and I'm still having a hard time with this. I keep hitting refresh, and the grade keeps still being there.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:44 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:45 pm

We got one of our 3 major grades today.

It was in the class I paid no attention in during the semester, hated the most and studied maybe 50 % for as compared to other classes.

A

dfsladslfl... now I'm really on edge for my final 2 grades. Feel like I have something to lose...

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:That is extremely harsh. We curved to 3.19 this year, and I made Rayiner work out the standard deviation. It was a tight curve, with top 10% only just above 3.5. I have a single grade back, and I'm still having a hard time with this. I keep hitting refresh, and the grade keeps still being there.

Yeah, whether grade 1 is good or bad, it probably just magnifies the stress for the rest, that has to suck. I'm trying to force myself to wait to look until I have at least 2-3 (right now we have 0), but I don't know if I'll have the will to resist :-/

Don't a couple of your classmates have grades now?

I know how it feels. I can't ask for advice because I'm not anonymous. I had as well make a facebook status update with it.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Snooker wrote:Sorry to hear any of you guys got stung by bad grades. The whole grading system for law school is woefully unfair, goes the common wisdom, luck, not effort or skills determines the grade you get. This is particularly infuriating when the tests are supposed to measure skill, and everyone knows that skills are developed directly through effort. Perhaps this explains the fatalism of upper class students - you'll just get what you get, no use worrying or trying hard, it doesn't matter.

LOLZ.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:35 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:45 pm

apper123 wrote:We got one of our 3 major grades today.

It was in the class I paid no attention in during the semester, hated the most and studied maybe 50 % for as compared to other classes.

A

dfsladslfl... now I'm really on edge for my final 2 grades. Feel like I have something to lose...

Start calculating a few non A's into the mix, and see what that does to your GPA.

Yeah, that shit sucks.
Last edited by JazzOne on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:47 pm

JazzOne wrote:
apper123 wrote:We got one of our 3 major grades today.

A

Start calculating a few non As in to the mix, and see what that does to your GPA.

Yeah, that shit sucks.

Yeah, I feel sorry for you guys. That's rough.

It's like winning the lottery then thinking about what it would be like to LOSE millions of dollars. OMG that would suck so bad.

My prayers are with you.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Last year, after I got my first grade back, I went through and did a spreadsheet that would calculate my GPA based on any combination of grades for the rest of the classes, A+ through D+.

That took a really long time.

That said, it was really, really satisfying whenever I was able to delete fields that represented grades for class X that were lower than my Class X grade. When all of the grades came in, and my 1st semester GPA came up, I pretty much died (in a good way.)

I do not recommend doing this :lol:

Also, apparently I was misunderstanding the grading scheme, so I needed booze in re my grade, but it was for good reasons, instead of bad.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:11 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 pm

Hey now, there are 3Ls here that don't understand the whacky grading system we have in place.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”