Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
A'nold

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby A'nold » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:48 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
swheat wrote:i need my damn crim grade already

i'd be down just to get any grades. the deadline isn't until 1/20 - i wonder how many professors will wait until the final day?

so ridiculous the deadline at my school is two weeks into the new semester. fuck that noise son.

TITCR. We don't get ours until the end of the week of our first week back. I think it is just a tactic to get people back into the swing of things so they don't make the decision to drop out or not when they are uninvested and on break where they have a clear mind. They want you to "remember why you are there" so to speak and make the decision a tad more difficult. This is obviously just speculation, but I'm pretty convinced.

Anyway, maybe I wouldn't go so far as to post everyone's name and grade out of courtesy to those below median, but the idea behind what I said is valid IMO. I think people are far too proud and should show some humility. If someone asked me a question in class and I was below median, I might joke and say, "why don't you ask someone above the median?" or something dumb like that. I think people take themselves far too seriously and need to lighten up, but whatevs.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:49 pm

flhealth wrote:
A'nold wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
A'nold wrote:I actually wish law school grades were published with people's names from first to last....... :twisted: I love competition!

WTF is wrong with you? This isn't chair tryouts for your middle school band. Some people are going to get to do what they want with their professional life, and other people are going to be told to take their ball and go home. While saddled with massive debt. And likely no obvious explanation for how that happened. And you're... excited by that, and want it to be public information? There's curiosity and then there's depravity :?

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive...... 8)

never heard about your "unique" soft....

I don't get it.....must be some kind of inside joke. :)

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm

We got no email, grade just appeared on the registrar's website when I logged in, I was like omgwtfbbq

Next day professor emails saying "Hai gusy i finished grading ur exams lol hapy new year"

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:51 pm

my teacher discussed the class's overall performance on the exam today and said we would get ours back soon. so nervous. part of me doesn't even want to know since i imagine this won't be pretty.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:12 am

my open memo grade is available which is 60 % of legal writing which is worth 75 % of a class which is worth less than 50 % of a normal class... and im afraid to open that

i cant even imagine when the real class grades are available...

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 am

I find it funny people were wringing their hands here over christmas.

Our grades are still a month away, but I am not so worried. Grades = biglaw employment sure but the law professors grade so haphazardly and with such little consideration to fairness or accuracy that there's no way it could possibly serve as a predictor of your long term success. There's maybe a percent of the class that will get, and stay, in big law long term and they will probably not be very happy there.
Last edited by Snooker on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:43 am

Snooker wrote:I find it funny people were wringing their hands here over christmas.

I am not so worried. Grades = biglaw employment sure but the law professors grade so haphazardly and with such little consideration to fairness or accuracy that there's no way it could possibly serve as a predictor of your long term success. There's maybe a percent of the class that will get, and stay, in big law long term and they will probably not be very happy there.

I'm worried about grades because with fewer biglaw internships there will likely be a lot more competition for the PI jobs I want. If I were attending 5 years ago I'd easily get summer internships at the places I want just by being median at a T14; now everyone wants those things to bolster their resume since they can't get work at firms and they have to do something legal.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:46 am

The stats I've seen for 1L employment don't make it seem like a big deal. if you are in one of the elite law schools, more students overall are taking internship opportunities outside biglaw. It looks like they are just cannibalizing lower ranking schools.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 am

flhealth wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:that sounds like a good plan. I cried, laughed, jumped, cussed and screamed in the five minuted following my grades. I wish I could know how everyone else did.

Rocio, I'm sure you did great! The curve was harsh. If effort counts for anything, you deserve top 10%. You worked harder than anybody. Congrats!

Thanks Wes!!! I knew you would pass by here!!! =) I hope you did well... I want top ten, not ton ten percent!!! lol there is a difference...

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 am

flhealth wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:that sounds like a good plan. I cried, laughed, jumped, cussed and screamed in the five minuted following my grades. I wish I could know how everyone else did.

Rocio, I'm sure you did great! The curve was harsh. If effort counts for anything, you deserve top 10%. You worked harder than anybody. Congrats!

What's the curve? 2.6.... rite?

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 am

Considering the economy, is it really the kiss of death not to have a stellar internship lined up 1L summer? I imagine just ahving something to talk about during 2L interviews is more important than a prestigious postition ITE.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:17 am

Man, I can't handle this waiting crap. It was horrible at first, then went to the back of my mind like a mosquito that lives in your bedroom for like a week but you can't find it until you hear it while you sleep, but now that I'm back in town I feel like I have a gigantic jawbreaker lodged in my throat and battery acid in my stomach. Carry on........... :)

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:48 am

rbgrocio wrote:
flhealth wrote:

the curve has to be between a 2.57 and 2.67...brutal...check your email

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 am

flhealth wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
flhealth wrote:

the curve has to be between a 2.57 and 2.67...brutal...check your email

All we know is that we survived and did very good! I'm happy! Now we just have to kick some ass in the spring and hope for the best... we are not ranked until spring.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:46 am

Snooker wrote:The stats I've seen for 1L employment don't make it seem like a big deal. if you are in one of the elite law schools, more students overall are taking internship opportunities outside biglaw. It looks like they are just cannibalizing lower ranking schools.

Partially true. I interviewed for a competitive but unpaid gov't internship the other day, and the interviewer mentioned that they had way more 2L summer apps than ever before. So, 2L's are pushing out 1L's, and top schools are pushing out less prestigious schools.

ObLaDiObLaDa

Postby ObLaDiObLaDa » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:19 pm

I've now had two dreams about my grades. In the first, I got a grade back which was an A. In my second dream, I got a B in LW. Apparently my subconscious is slowly losing faith in myself.

I've still got a few weeks to go, so I'm trying not to stress about it. But I've got my eye on a certain firm and I constantly wish I had my grades back so I would know if working there would even be a possibility.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 pm

swheat wrote:Yeah I got that...but this thread contains some of the aftermath. But I didn't really notice the shit hitting the fan. Did he get ostracized in real life or something? All I saw was one ninny bitching him out about violating the values of NU.

I'd imagine law school social dynamics were strange before the advent of the internet, but the existence of TLS and ATL are elevating the weirdness to new levels I think. :lol:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Aeroplane wrote:Generally speaking (there may be "BFF exceptions" or other odd circumstances):
- If someone directly asks you, you're not a dick for answering honestly.
- If you ask someone directly, then you're a dick for doing so.
- If a person doesn't ask and you tell him your grades unsolicited, then you're still much less of a dick than the person who asks people, but kind of an ass anyway.

HTH

To expound on the second one, if you ask someone directly, and he tries to evade through a non-specific answer, and you press the issue, you're in the running for some sort of dick award. :lol:

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Right now I shudder every time I think of LRW.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:59 pm

mallard wrote:Right now I shudder every time I think of LRW.

+1,000,000. I don't care what career ramifications come from it, unless I make Law Review I WILL NOT under 99.9% of the circumstances take any more legal writing classes. Period. I still say it will be my lowest grade.

freegaladvice

Postby freegaladvice » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:41 pm

apper123 wrote:my open memo grade is available which is 60 % of legal writing which is worth 75 % of a class which is worth less than 50 % of a normal class... and im afraid to open that

i cant even imagine when the real class grades are available...

I just went through my open memo and while I'm not unhappy with the grade, I'm at a loss for how my grade was actually determined (i.e. where I lost points). I realize going to discuss the paper is available, but would asking where/why I lost the points I did be seen as antagonistic? Obviously I'd try to couch it in a friendly, "I-just-want-to-be-a-better-writer" manner, but I don't know if I could get an answer regarding specific point deductions without being, well, specific.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:08 pm

A'nold wrote:

+1,000,000. I don't care what career ramifications come from it. [strike]unless I make Law Review[/strike] I WILL NOT, under 99.9% of the circumstances, take any more legal writing classes. Period.

+ 1000.

Take that, LRW!

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:14 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
A'nold wrote:

+1,000,000. I don't care what career ramifications come from it. [strike]unless I make Law Review[/strike] I WILL NOT, under 99.9% of the circumstances, take any more legal writing classes. Period.

+ 1000.

Take that, LRW!

HAHA! I know upperclassmen that are taking like advanced LRW and advanced-advanced research classes. This, not a low class rank, would be the thing to make me quit! :wink:

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Got a grade today. FML. Need booze immediately, also a time machine.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:15 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Got a grade today. FML. Need booze immediately, also a time machine.

that bad eh?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”