Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TTT-LS

Silver

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
swheat wrote:
LjakW wrote:
swheat wrote:link to real Corsair incident?
You read my mind.
Found the thread. Help me dig for the details
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... es#p408402
That isn't the thread. I think the real one--a TLS blog post--was deleted shortly after the shit hit the fan.
Yeah I got that...but this thread contains some of the aftermath. But I didn't really notice the shit hitting the fan. Did he get ostracized in real life or something? All I saw was one ninny bitching him out about violating the values of NU.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Checking the grade website is like checking status checkers every hour all over again :(

Also I really don't see what the big deal is about telling people your grades. If you come up to me and ask and I just so happened to do really well am I a dick if I tell you? Should I lie? If I did poorly are you a dick for even asking?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:18 pm

hombredulce wrote:Checking the grade website is like checking status checkers every hour all over again :(

Also I really don't see what the big deal is about telling people your grades. If you come up to me and ask and I just so happened to do really well am I a dick if I tell you? Should I lie? If I did poorly are you a dick for even asking?
My feeling is that it's a no-win scenario. If you did well and admit to it, people will treat you like you think you are hot shit. If you did poorly people will treat you like a dumbass. If you were at median then nobody will care about you anyway.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm

I didn't check the website to see if grades had been posted at all because they clearly told us the grades would not be posted until the week before classes resume. They also told us they would all be posted at the same time. When I got the e-mail today with the subject: "grades posted" i almost have a heart attack. To me it was much more nerve wrecking and exciting than checking my LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:23 pm

rbgrocio wrote:I didn't check the website to see if grades had been posted at all because they clearly told us the grades would not be posted until the week before classes resume. They also told us they would all be posted at the same time. When I got the e-mail today with the subject: "grades posted" i almost have a heart attack. To me it was much more nerve wrecking and exciting than checking my LSAT score.
here everyone tells me they just trickle in and there is no "X grade is posted" email. You just stumble upon it and either rejoice or contemplate killself

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:26 pm

swheat wrote:
hombredulce wrote:Checking the grade website is like checking status checkers every hour all over again :(

My feeling is that it's a no-win scenario. If you did well and admit to it, people will treat you like you think you are hot shit. If you did poorly people will treat you like a dumbass. If you were at median then nobody will care about you anyway.
Generally speaking (there may be "BFF exceptions" or other odd circumstances):
- If someone directly asks you, you're not a dick for answering honestly.
- If you ask someone directly, then you're a dick for doing so.
- If a person doesn't ask and you tell him your grades unsolicited, then you're still much less of a dick than the person who asks people, but kind of an ass anyway.

HTH

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:26 pm

hombredulce wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:I didn't check the website to see if grades had been posted at all because they clearly told us the grades would not be posted until the week before classes resume. They also told us they would all be posted at the same time. When I got the e-mail today with the subject: "grades posted" i almost have a heart attack. To me it was much more nerve wrecking and exciting than checking my LSAT score.
here everyone tells me they just trickle in and there is no "X grade is posted" email. You just stumble upon it and either rejoice or contemplate killself

In our school the registrar's office refuses to post grades until they are all available. They send you an email letting you know the grades have been posted and then u have to go to the school website, log in to your account and check the grades. During that process many things go through your mind: you want to cry, laugh, smile, throw up... but i think is less painful than randomly get them one and one there....

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
swheat wrote:

- If a person doesn't ask and you tell him your grades unsolicited, then you're still much less of a dick than the person who asks people, but kind of an ass anyway.

HTH
I only asked my friends from law school (3 or 4 people) Other than that I don't ask or make comments about it. I just silently hope people did worse than I so I can make top ten.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:33 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:
swheat wrote:

HTH
I only asked my friends from law school (3 or 4 people) Other than that I don't ask or make comments about it. I just silently hope people did worse than I so I can make top ten.
That's legit and an example of the BFF exception. The only law school people I see myself wanting to share with are my study group (2 people) since I feel like we were in it together somewhat, and even then I'll tread lightly & probably let them make the first move. I do, however, plan to brag or cry (whichever it turns out to be) to all of my non-LS friends & family :D

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:
swheat wrote:

HTH
That's legit and an example of the BFF exception. The only law school people I see myself wanting to share with are my study group (2 people) since I feel like we were in it together somewhat, and even then I'll tread lightly & probably let them make the first move. I do, however, plan to brag or cry (whichever it turns out to be) to all of my non-LS friends & family :D[/quote]

that sounds like a good plan. I cried, laughed, jumped, cussed and screamed in the five minuted following my grades. I wish I could know how everyone else did.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Good to know about the FB stuff......I was considering posting my grades for family members and friends but this thread made me realize that I have at least two ls people as FB friends. Crap. I want to tell people if I did well, haha. If I do crappily, I won't post about it anyway, haha.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:19 pm

A'nold wrote:Good to know about the FB stuff......I was considering posting my grades for family members and friends but this thread made me realize that I have at least two ls people as FB friends. Crap. I want to tell people if I did well, haha. If I do crappily, I won't post about it anyway, haha.
I think I'm FB friends with a good chunk of my section. If I posted my grades on Facebook, I'd probably be tarred and feathered the next day.

Not that I would - I generally believe that keeping our grades to ourselves keeps us all honest. A few of my closer friends in LS have asked what my LRW grade was (only grade we have so far), I just gave some general "I think I did OK" answer and left it at that - not because I bombed, or anything, just that there's no need for me to be specific, whether I'm at the top, bottom, or middle of the curve.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:51 pm

rbgrocio wrote: that sounds like a good plan. I cried, laughed, jumped, cussed and screamed in the five minuted following my grades. I wish I could know how everyone else did.
Rocio, I'm sure you did great! The curve was harsh. If effort counts for anything, you deserve top 10%. You worked harder than anybody. Congrats!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:54 pm

flhealth wrote: If effort counts for anything
It doesn't. That's why law school (especially waiting for grades) sucks :P

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:12 pm

I actually wish law school grades were published with people's names from first to last....... :twisted: I love competition!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:16 pm

A'nold wrote:I actually wish law school grades were published with people's names from first to last....... :twisted: I love competition!
WTF is wrong with you? This isn't chair tryouts for your middle school band. Some people are going to get to do what they want with their professional life, and other people are going to be told to take their ball and go home. While saddled with massive debt. And likely no obvious explanation for how that happened. And you're... excited by that, and want it to be public information? There's curiosity and then there's depravity :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:27 pm

thesealocust wrote:
A'nold wrote:I actually wish law school grades were published with people's names from first to last....... :twisted: I love competition!
WTF is wrong with you? This isn't chair tryouts for your middle school band. Some people are going to get to do what they want with their professional life, and other people are going to be told to take their ball and go home. While saddled with massive debt. And likely no obvious explanation for how that happened. And you're... excited by that, and want it to be public information? There's curiosity and then there's depravity :?
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive...... 8)

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Gonna get out ahead of the rumors and confirm that I got a 4.3 and am on Law review.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 pm

A'nold wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive...... 8)
never heard about your "unique" soft....

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:
hmmm. that kinda put a downer on my night.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 pm

i need my damn crim grade already

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm

swheat wrote:i need my damn crim grade already
i'd be down just to get any grades. the deadline isn't until 1/20 - i wonder how many professors will wait until the final day?

so ridiculous the deadline at my school is two weeks into the new semester. fuck that noise son.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:40 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
i'd be down just to get any grades. the deadline isn't until 1/20 - i wonder how many professors will wait until the final day?

so ridiculous the deadline at my school is two weeks into the new semester. fuck that noise son.
2/1 deadline here. Looking at job on our network with a 1/19 deadline saying not to send app without transcript.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

2/1 deadline here. Looking at job on our network with a 1/19 deadline saying not to send app without transcript.
I would call the potential job and explain the situation. Take initiative, yadda yadda.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”