Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thesealocust

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:06 am

TTT-LS wrote:At NU, fall grades have come out both of the last two years during the 1:30-2:25 class time block. I remember noticing people opening their grades during class both times and thinking how uncomfortable it must have been for the people sitting directly behind them, and for the person viewing the grades themselves if the grades weren't good. There's just nothing positive that can come from viewing grades during class.

We had exactly one graded midterm for my section, and the prof said he'd email our grades after our last class on a Friday. Somewhat true to his word, the email came 1 minute before class ended - needless to say, there were whispers and gasps and groans and glee, it was a train wreck. I shut my laptop and got the hell out of the classroom as soon as I heard the grade email was sent, I wanted no part in that.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:17 am

rayiner wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:A word of advice: when your grades do arrive, resist the urge to open them up right away. Go somewhere quiet, alone, take a few deep breaths, and then look at them. Whether you've done well, average, or poor, seeing your grades is just something that is better done away from crowds of others. Taking this approach will give you a few moments to reflect, and then if you still want to dance in the streets or seek the support of others, go right on ahead.

At NU, fall grades have come out both of the last two years during the 1:30-2:25 class time block. I remember noticing people opening their grades during class both times and thinking how uncomfortable it must have been for the people sitting directly behind them, and for the person viewing the grades themselves if the grades weren't good. There's just nothing positive that can come from viewing grades during class.

Sounds like prudent advice as usual, but does remind me of a funny story. In high school, I took a quantum class where our teacher would hand back exams in order of decreasing grade. There was something deliciously perverse about it, but I'm kind of glad none of my professors do this in LS...

Ray, I hope you made that up.

I remember shaking and crying when I got the envelope with my graded short memo in it. I almost had to enlist a friend to open it for me. I was disappointed, but unreasonably so, since my professor hadn't given out any As (the range was from B- to B+). The TA gave me a stern talking to, and said he hoped I hadn't discussed my grade with anyone. I hadn't, since I understand this is horrible protocol, but people kept asking anyway.

Is there a standard answer to this question beyond a curt "my grades were okay?" I agree with TTT-LS, and cannot imagine getting the news anywhere public. Here's to good news for those of us who are most neurotic. :)

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:24 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Is there a standard answer to this question beyond a curt "my grades were okay?" I agree with TTT-LS, and cannot imagine getting the news anywhere public. Here's to good news for those of us who are most neurotic. :)

My plan is practice the following in front of a mirror, and use it as often as necessary:

"Thanks for the opportunity to practice evasive lawyering: No comment"

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:31 am

thesealocust wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Is there a standard answer to this question beyond a curt "my grades were okay?" I agree with TTT-LS, and cannot imagine getting the news anywhere public. Here's to good news for those of us who are most neurotic. :)

My plan is practice the following in front of a mirror, and use it as often as necessary:

:mrgreen:

ak362

Postby ak362 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:36 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
rayiner wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:A word of advice: when your grades do arrive, resist the urge to open them up right away. Go somewhere quiet, alone, take a few deep breaths, and then look at them. Whether you've done well, average, or poor, seeing your grades is just something that is better done away from crowds of others. Taking this approach will give you a few moments to reflect, and then if you still want to dance in the streets or seek the support of others, go right on ahead.

At NU, fall grades have come out both of the last two years during the 1:30-2:25 class time block. I remember noticing people opening their grades during class both times and thinking how uncomfortable it must have been for the people sitting directly behind them, and for the person viewing the grades themselves if the grades weren't good. There's just nothing positive that can come from viewing grades during class.

Sounds like prudent advice as usual, but does remind me of a funny story. In high school, I took a quantum class where our teacher would hand back exams in order of decreasing grade. There was something deliciously perverse about it, but I'm kind of glad none of my professors do this in LS...

I remember shaking and crying when I got the envelope with my graded short memo in it. I almost had to enlist a friend to open it for me. I was disappointed, but unreasonably so, since my professor hadn't given out any As (the range was from B- to B+). The TA gave me a stern talking to, and said he hoped I hadn't discussed my grade with anyone. I hadn't, since I understand this is horrible protocol, but people kept asking anyway.

Is there a standard answer to this question beyond a curt "my grades were okay?" I agree with TTT-LS, and cannot imagine getting the news anywhere public. Here's to good news for those of us who are most neurotic. :)

General shrugging, "I did okay, I guess." Takes the curtness out of it, at least for me.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:40 am

Yeah, just say you "did fine" or my favorite is "I'll be here next year at least"

Although my friend group, which is very small, we do share our grades but they are all the same, generally.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:18 am

I don't mind waiting for my grades at all. I was more nervous while waiting for my LSAT score. But compared to the average neurotic TLSer, I felt calm. I guess not being type-A has its benefits LOL. I'm a pessimist, so none of my grades will disappoint me LOL :). I've already received one grade; I did much better than I'd expected. That's all I'm telling.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:28 am

thesealocust wrote:

I love this. May I use it?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:34 am

I agree ... you can always retake the LSAT!

superserial

Postby superserial » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:52 am

mallard wrote:At the same time, I don't want to be alone when I look.

I want to be in the company of alcohol. I'm going to need it regardless of how I do.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:59 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Nope. I kind of liked it, but then again I'm pretty confrontational. :lol:

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:26 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I love this. May I use it?

I encourage it! If it catches on grade season should be much less obnoxious for all involved :P

superserial

Postby superserial » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:

if the person who asks isn't my friend, I'm going to say, "None of your business."

if the person who asks me is almost a total stranger I'm going to say, "None of your fucking business."

Joan Manuel Serrat

Postby Joan Manuel Serrat » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:12 pm

superserial wrote:
if the person who asks isn't my friend, I'm going to say, "None of your business."

if the person who asks me is almost a total stranger I'm going to say, "None of your fucking business."

i think and predict you will become very lucky and will no have to use the two option above. I am doubting anybody will give even a mild shit about you turd grade.

superserial

Postby superserial » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Joan Manuel Serrat wrote:
superserial wrote:

i think and predict you will become very lucky and will no have to use the two option above. I am doubting anybody will give even a mild shit about you turd grade.

:lol:

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:35 pm

Have to agree the wait is much worse.

For the LSAT, I knew I'd scored somewhere in the 168 (feel sad and maybe retake) to 175 (win) range.

For 1L grades, I only know my GPA will probably be between 2.9 (killself) and 3.7 (LR). And I can't retake.

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:49 pm

solid advice. If you can resist, I'd also advise not looking at them until you get home. I still remember (after first semester grades came out), walking into the bathroom and seeing one girl sobbing uncontrollably. Awkward. Also, I had been so sure that I was going to fail such that when my grades did come in, I did just about jump up and down. Thankfully, I was at home. And don't be like the guy in my school who "accidentally" left his grades up on his computer screen for everyone to see. People will hate you.

And I agree-waiting for 1L grades was much worse than waiting for the LSATs. When people asked about grades, I'd simply reply, "They were fine." Though one girl dashed up to me after class one day to say that she had heard that the people in the top 10% were only hanging out together now. I was dying to ask her a) what made her think I wasn't in the top, or b) that if they were, they hadn't invited me. But I didn't. :(

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:58 pm

steve_nash wrote:

solid advice. If you can resist, I'd also advise not looking at them until you get home. I still remember (after first semester grades came out), walking into the bathroom and seeing one girl sobbing uncontrollably. Awkward. Also, I had been so sure that I was going to fail such that when my grades did come in, I did just about jump up and down. Thankfully, I was at home. And don't be like the guy in my school who "accidentally" left his grades up on his computer screen for everyone to see. People will hate you.

And I agree-waiting for 1L grades was much worse than waiting for the LSATs. When people asked about grades, I'd simply reply, "They were fine." Though one girl dashed up to me after class one day to say that she had heard that the people in the top 10% were only hanging out together now. I was dying to ask her a) what made her think I wasn't in the top, or b) that if they were, they hadn't invited me. But I didn't. :(

Haha, it'd be awesome if you'd said that. I'd probably be enough of a dick to do it, I think.

I will personally do what I did for the LSAT: get smashed, then drunkenly dial a non-LS friend, ask him/her to look at it for me and promptly delete notification in case the news is bad (in the case of LSAT, below a certain threshold, in the case of grades, below the median) and never let me or anyone else know what he/she saw.

There's an urban legend here at U of C that a 1L went all year without looking at her grades. I dunno how she managed.

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:00 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Haha, it'd be awesome if you'd said that. I'd probably be enough of a dick to do it, I think.

I will personally do what I did for the LSAT: get smashed, then drunkenly dial a non-LS friend, ask him/her to look at it for me and promptly delete notification in case the news is bad (in the case of LSAT, below a certain threshold, in the case of grades, below the median) and never let me or anyone else know what he/she saw.

There's an urban legend here at U of C that a 1L went all year without looking at her grades. I dunno how she managed.

Wow. That's impressive. I'm way too OCD to do that.

Learning Hand

Postby Learning Hand » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:00 pm

I dreamt I received a 2.00 last night, and that these grades were released publicly. Other than the nightmares, I lost all anxiety over my exams after I completed my last one. Got sloshed on a party bus, fell on said bus, and now have a shiner to ruin all family Christmas photos. I'm happy.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:02 pm

steve_nash wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

SAME HERE.

I dreamt the other night I received a 182 (a solid A on our unique curve here) on Civ Pro. I was so damn elated. Waking up was a profound bummer.

superserial

Postby superserial » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:06 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Have to agree the wait is much worse.

For the LSAT, I knew I'd scored somewhere in the 168 (feel sad and maybe retake) to 175 (win) range.

For 1L grades, I only know my GPA will probably be between 2.9 (killself) and 3.7 (LR). And I can't retake.

I have a feeling that there are some secret slackers who take both the killself and the LR grades.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:06 pm

LSAT was way worse. I wish I cared more about my first semester grades, but I can't seem to bring myself to. It all just seems so arbitrary after a certain point.

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:14 pm

dresden doll wrote:
steve_nash wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

SAME HERE.

I dreamt the other night I received a 182 (a solid A on our unique curve here) on Civ Pro. I was so damn elated. Waking up was a profound bummer.

hah, glad to know I'm not the only one who dreams about grades. I'm worried about one of my grades from this past semester, and I had a dream the other night that I only got an A-, but I was so so happy. And then I woke up.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I disagree. After taking the LSAT I had no idea how I did, and after bombing it the first time, the wait for the retake score was just awful, since I knew that if I didn't improve I'd have to take a year off and try again. Basically, it was the most important test in my life, at the time.

Now that I've gotten into a good law school, I figure that I'll probably be OK regardless of what my grades are, unless I did absolutely terrible. I'm still very curious what I got, but I don't find the wait worse than the LSAT.
thesealocust wrote:My plan is practice the following in front of a mirror, and use it as often as necessary:

I'm going to ask you what your grades are just to hear that.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”