Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chadwick218

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:37 am

samiseaborn wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I just can't seem to stomach writing cover letters. I think I may get on that tomorrow.

THIS. It took me two days to stop just staring blankly at my letterhead. Next up is the asking for references part which I despise equally.

I had printed out approximately 50 individualized cover letters that were about to be sent off to 50 federal judges with the hope of securing a judicial externship if nothing else works out only to realize that I had writtend "your" instead of you in the closing sentence. I am now become further paranoid and am having to proof everything beyond what is probably reasonable.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:48 am

CE2JD wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:hopefully sis being down means grades are going up

I have zero faith in sis. I predict our grades will be released on sis AT LEAST 2 weeks after profs submit them.

Zero faith in SIS? Even after our money was disbursed so promptly?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:50 am

Kohinoor wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:hopefully sis being down means grades are going up

I have zero faith in sis. I predict our grades will be released on sis AT LEAST 2 weeks after profs submit them.

Zero faith in SIS? Even after our money was disbursed so promptly?

God, I hope disbursement of grades doesn't occur in the same way. I'll get 3 grades, hear my classmates talking about how they've gotten all of theirs, and be completely unable for weeks to find anyone who can tell me why I haven't gotten the 4th or when I will get it.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:23 pm

If they were paying me big boy money to grade exams twice a year I could turn it around in 3 days. Just sayin'.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Kohinoor wrote:If they were paying me big boy money to grade exams twice a year I could turn it around in 3 days. Just sayin'.

Sure you could, but you'd stretch it out as long as you could to add up as many billable hours as possible. Just sayin'.

Mal

Postby Mal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:If they were paying me big boy money to grade exams twice a year I could turn it around in 3 days. Just sayin'.

Sure you could, but you'd stretch it out as long as you could to add up as many billable hours as possible. Just sayin'.

Lawyered!

Also, got my first grade today. The wait is beginning to end.

superserial

Postby superserial » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:52 pm

aw, the obnoxious facebook statuses about amazing grades are starting to appear.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:54 pm

superserial wrote:aw, the obnoxious facebook statuses about amazing grades are starting to appear.
Seriously? People do this?

superserial

Postby superserial » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
superserial wrote:aw, the obnoxious facebook statuses about amazing grades are starting to appear.

apparently...

none of them (so far) are from my school, thank god.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm

superserial wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

apparently...

none of them (so far) are from my school, thank god.

Douchebags abound in law school.

panda

Postby panda » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:06 pm

NOT looking forward to this.

ppl are already updating statuses all the time about how they are practicing citation form and how many resumes and cover letters they have sent out.. i have never had to hide so many people from my feed before..

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:08 pm

My section hasn't gotten any grades yet, so I guess I'll find out later if any of my section mates are asses like that. I think & hope not. Michigan is relatively laid back (for a law school).

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superserial

Postby superserial » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:16 pm

panda wrote:

NOT looking forward to this.

ppl are already updating statuses all the time about how they are practicing citation form and how many resumes and cover letters they have sent out.. i have never had to hide so many people from my feed before..

this one girl gave detailed updates on her job application and outline progress to make everyone feel inadequate. I expect her to come through with epic douchebaggery when we get grades.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:23 pm

TTT-LS wrote:Best practice is to NOT do FB status updates re: grades. Or to do any Internet postings about them. Just ask Corsair--he can explain in vivid detail as to why this is so.
Story plz?

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:33 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:Best practice is to NOT do FB status updates re: grades. Or to do any Internet postings about them. Just ask Corsair--he can explain in vivid detail as to why this is so.
Story plz?

Corsair got really good grades, bragged about them to people, and then those people came onto TLS to rail against Corsair. Now Corsair will not have a job after graduation and he'll have to move to Bombay to do doc review for an off-shore legal services company.

Also, he needs to join Jenny Craig.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:36 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:
Story plz?

Corsair got really good grades, bragged about them to people, and then those people came onto TLS to rail against Corsair. Now Corsair will not have a job after graduation and he'll have to move to Bombay to do doc review for an off-shore legal services company.

I actually just re-read that thread the other day, and I'm scared shitless that something similar will happen with all of the UVA people on TLS. I think once grades start rolling out I might have to go cold turkey for a month to avoid the BIG DRAMA.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:
Story plz?

I actually just re-read that thread the other day, and I'm scared shitless that something similar will happen with all of the UVA people on TLS. I think once grades start rolling out I might have to go cold turkey for a month to avoid the BIG DRAMA.

I think we'll all just assume you're going to grade onto LR Mr. Typing Robot.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:40 pm

CE2JD wrote:I think we'll all just assume you're going to grade onto LR Mr. Typing Robot.

:x CASE IN POINT aerjhadgfjk :x

The model answer on our Ks midterm was like 12 words, I still don't understand people's obsession about exam length. Plus weren't you the one wagging around your tiny pink 10,000 word torts exam on TLS right after you finished ;)

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:42 pm

thesealocust wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I think we'll all just assume you're going to grade onto LR Mr. Typing Robot.

The model answer on our Ks midterm was like 12 words, I still don't understand people's obsession about exam length. Plus weren't you the one wagging around your tiny pink 10,000 word torts exam on TLS right after you finished ;)

For you, 10,000 words is a draft memo about what type of pizza people want for lunch. So I don't understand why you would think it's an impressive length for a law school exam.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:43 pm

CE2JD wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

For you, 10,000 words is a draft memo about what type of pizza people want for lunch. So I don't understand why you would think it's an impressive length for a law school exam.

d00d, each of my pages had 10,000 words worth of headers up top. You have no idea.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:45 pm

link to real Corsair incident?

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:51 pm

swheat wrote:link to real Corsair incident?

You read my mind.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:54 pm

LjakW wrote:

You read my mind.

Found the thread. Help me dig for the details
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21376&p=408402&hilit=corsair+grades#p408402

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm

swheat wrote:
LjakW wrote:

You read my mind.

Found the thread. Help me dig for the details
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21376&p=408402&hilit=corsair+grades#p408402

Read it. nothing happened....some twit from NU bitched out Corsair about crossing societal boundaries or something. That is all. Typical TLS drama queens.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”