Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:33 pm

hopefully sis being down means grades are going up

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Kohinoor wrote:hopefully sis being down means grades are going up
Sure, it probably means grades are up... for undergrads, who promptly swamped the site with 25,000 simultaneous logins.

Still projecting mid-March for Torts.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Man, every time I forget about grades, this thread pops up on the home page to remind me of the impending disaster. Mind you, I've been putting the issue out of my mind by furiously outlining Contracts and Crim Law, which are the two classes where we won't take the exam until the end of the winter quarter when we've accumulated 20 weeks worth of materials.

At least I have something to show for, I suppose. Productivity FTW? :|

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:18 pm

dresden doll wrote:Man, every time I forget about grades, this thread pops up on the home page to remind me of the impending disaster.
No joke. I hate this thread. No grades until the 20th is bullshit. I'm gonna be pissed if I waste my last week on earth sitting in class.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:23 pm

Renzo wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Man, every time I forget about grades, this thread pops up on the home page to remind me of the impending disaster.
No joke. I hate this thread. No grades until the 20th is bullshit. I'm gonna be pissed if I waste my last week on earth sitting in class.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Waiting is easier with no internet and lots of old friends wanting to visit with you. Now that I'm back in Bloomington, I'm dreading the next 15 days or so.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:41 pm

I have zero faith in sis. I predict our grades will be released on sis AT LEAST 2 weeks after profs submit them.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:49 pm

CE2JD wrote:
I have zero faith in sis. I predict our grades will be released on sis AT LEAST 2 weeks after profs submit them.
You guys should calm down. You're at a top school. You'll do fine even at the median.

On the other hand, my career has been over since I missed that huge issue on the first exam, Contracts. :oops:

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Bankhead wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
You guys should calm down. You're at a top school. You'll do fine even at the median.
No. I know people who are D Y I N G at UVA law school.

No job.

No food.

No money for new seersucker suits, la coste polos and loafers.

etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:55 pm

dresden doll wrote:Man, every time I forget about grades, this thread pops up on the home page to remind me of the impending disaster. Mind you, I've been putting the issue out of my mind by furiously outlining Contracts and Crim Law, which are the two classes where we won't take the exam until the end of the winter quarter when we've accumulated 20 weeks worth of materials.

At least they're saying the grades will be out ~15th. That means a Friday, which means you can force yourself not to check your hangfile until after you've done several rounds of shots at wine mess! :D

Also, F waiting for grades. This quarter is probably the most meaningless, grade-wise, I'll have in law school (only had 10 credits,) and the wait is still to the point where I can't sleep. Gah.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm going to pull a Mr. Hart.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Renzo wrote:

+1

fphoenix85

New

Post by fphoenix85 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:20 pm

kobeoverlebron wrote: With the LSAT if you do awful you may end up going to law school at the University of Hawaii...
Fixed ;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:22 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Man, every time I forget about grades, this thread pops up on the home page to remind me of the impending disaster. Mind you, I've been putting the issue out of my mind by furiously outlining Contracts and Crim Law, which are the two classes where we won't take the exam until the end of the winter quarter when we've accumulated 20 weeks worth of materials.

At least they're saying the grades will be out ~15th. That means a Friday, which means you can force yourself not to check your hangfile until after you've done several rounds of shots at wine mess! :D

Also, F waiting for grades. This quarter is probably the most meaningless, grade-wise, I'll have in law school (only had 10 credits,) and the wait is still to the point where I can't sleep. Gah.
Oh, you are right - 15th is supposed to be a Friday.

PRETTY PLEASE, let's go get shitfaced at Wine Mess that day. Not even kidding. (Disclaimer: I may make you open my grades for me after I've imbibed sufficiently. I did something similar the day my LSAT score came out - I am hysterical like that).

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:25 pm

So....I will have access to my grades at midnight...

Whether the professors have gotten around to posting them...we'll find out soon.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:35 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

PRETTY PLEASE, let's go get shitfaced at Wine Mess that day. Not even kidding. (Disclaimer: I may make you open my grades for me after I've imbibed sufficiently. I did something similar the day my LSAT score came out - I am hysterical like that).
Ha, as fun as that would be, I've obligated myself to going to the CSO that night. I was supposed to go Thursday, so that I would be free to drink a lot at Wine Mess on the 15th, but nooo, one of the people I'm going to the symphony with just had to get a speeding ticket and end up with a court date at 8:30 Friday morning.

Although, come to think of it, going to the CSO to see Rite of Spring while smashed could also be hilarious.

Also, while typing this, I just realized that I overlooked the fact that the 15th is, indeed, a Friday. Initially, I thought that was relevant for Wine Mess. Now, I realize it is relevent because it is Friday the 15th. I'm going to fail out of law school :evil:

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:38 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Ha, as fun as that would be, I've obligated myself to going to the CSO that night. I was supposed to go Thursday, so that I would be free to drink a lot at Wine Mess on the 15th, but nooo, one of the people I'm going to the symphony with just had to get a speeding ticket and end up with a court date at 8:30 Friday morning.

Although, come to think of it, going to the CSO to see Rite of Spring while smashed could also be hilarious.

Also, while typing this, I just realized that I overlooked the fact that the 15th is, indeed, a Friday. Initially, I thought that was relevant for Wine Mess. Now, I realize it is relevent because it is Friday the 15th. I'm going to fail out of law school :evil:
I am actually rather happy it's supposed to be a Friday. It's an awesome opportunity to numb myself in a timely and appropriate manner.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm so out of it. I was thinking "Friday the 13th," but somehow mixed up the fact that... well, you know, the 15th isn't the 13th. Thus, getting grades on the "13th"=bad luck=failing out of law school.

Of course, that doesn't work so well when it isn't actually the 13th that is being discussed.

Dear God. I need it to be spring break already.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:45 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I'm so out of it. I was thinking "Friday the 13th," but somehow mixed up the fact that... well, you know, the 15th isn't the 13th. Thus, getting grades on the "13th"=bad luck=failing out of law school.

Of course, that doesn't work so well when it isn't actually the 13th that is being discussed.

Amen, man. After finishing my Crim Law and Contracts outlines, I'm getting to feel that I need a vacation from this vacation. And I haven't even started applying for jobs yet. I'm practically fearful to submit anything, only to have to supplement it with an awful transcript.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:50 pm

dresden doll wrote:Amen, man. After finishing my Crim Law and Contracts outlines, I'm getting to feel that I need a vacation from this vacation. And I haven't even started applying for jobs yet. I'm practically fearful to submit anything, only to have to supplement it with an awful transcript.
I don't even get a vacation during spring break. In my enthusiasm early last semester, I signed up for an Alternative Spring Break and I'll be spending the week doing pro bono work instead of vacationing. I'm starting to wonder if that was a wise move now.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:52 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:I'm so out of it. I was thinking "Friday the 13th," but somehow mixed up the fact that... well, you know, the 15th isn't the 13th. Thus, getting grades on the "13th"=bad luck=failing out of law school.

Amen, man. After finishing my Crim Law and Contracts outlines, I'm getting to feel that I need a vacation from this vacation. And I haven't even started applying for jobs yet. I'm practically fearful to submit anything, only to have to supplement it with an awful transcript.
It is going to be funny watching you when you have to play your 184 average coyly. "Aw, shucks, I just happened to get lucky, and I drank the right liquor before the exams" is a statement I imagine I'll hear from you at next year's journal staffer reception.

Also, pretty unrelated to the grade wait, you should probably start sending stuff before your grades come back. If Chicago is anything like Wisconsin, the 15th is more of an "estimated" date, as opposed to a firm date.

Vanwinkle--I may do something equally insane during our Spring Break (although we get 2 weeks off for it, here.) There is a mini-MBA class the 2nd week of Spring Break that I may decide to take. It counts as credits for my Spring quarter, though, so I could take a really light courseload in the Spring, if I so desired.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:01 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote: It is going to be funny watching you when you have to play your 184 average coyly. "Aw, shucks, I just happened to get lucky, and I drank the right liquor before the exams" is a statement I imagine I'll hear from you at next year's journal staffer reception.

Also, pretty unrelated to the grade wait, you should probably start sending stuff before your grades come back. If Chicago is anything like Wisconsin, the 15th is more of an "estimated" date, as opposed to a firm date.

Vanwinkle--I may do something equally insane during our Spring Break (although we get 2 weeks off for it, here.) There is a mini-MBA class the 2nd week of Spring Break that I may decide to take. It counts as credits for my Spring quarter, though, so I could take a really light courseload in the Spring, if I so desired.
Dude, I'd like nothing better than to have to play a 184 average coyly. Not gonna happen though. I realized yesterday that I'd done more work over the break than I'd accomplished throughout the whole of fall quarter. It isn't even an exaggeration, methinks. Why the hell I waited this long to get my ass in gear is beyond me.

And I should have applied for jobs circa 14th of December. I am running way late. I just can't seem to stomach writing cover letters. I think I may get on that tomorrow.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:02 am

dresden doll wrote:And I should have applied for jobs circa 14th of December. I am running way late. I just can't seem to stomach writing cover letters. I think I may get on that tomorrow.
I do take some comfort in the fact that I'm not the only one procrastinating this badly.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:07 am

Shouldn't worry about it too much, though you guys should get on it. Waiting this long would normally be a killer for biglaw summer gigs, but so few 1Ls are going to get those this year that it is essentially wasted postage.

Probably missed out on a handful of government positions.

However, many small firms don't make their hiring decisions until much closer to the summer. You'll start seeing symplicity posts for 1L summer interns pop up in Feb, through March and April, some even in May. A buddy of mine didn't get his 1L gig until the first week of June, and it was paid.

FWIW, all of the applications I sent out in early December last year ended up being wasted postage.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:26 am

dresden doll wrote: I just can't seem to stomach writing cover letters. I think I may get on that tomorrow.
THIS. It took me two days to stop just staring blankly at my letterhead. Next up is the asking for references part which I despise equally.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”