Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chadwick218

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:52 am

IzziesGal wrote:Do grades usually come back in before application deadlines?? I have a few job apps that are due, with transcripts, in early to mid January, and I don't think I'll have grades by then. Anyone know anything about this?

With respect to all apps asking for transcripts, I went ahead and applied shortly after 12/1 and informed them that I would update them with my fall semester grades once received.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll go ahead and apply and include a note mentioning that transcripts will follow as soon as they're available.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:53 pm

CE2JD wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
j2d3 wrote:What if you waited and waited until after everyone else in your class gets grades back except you... and so you keep waiting. Then you ask the professor about it. The professor says he'll look into it and call you back later. Ok. So you keep waiting. You go on TLS and freak out. You stare at the phone. Nothing.

THAT'S WHAT WAITING FOR MY LSAT IS EXACTLY LIKE EXCEPT PROFESSOR = LSAC LADY.

There are worse things. But I'd like to carry on with my day, not to mention my life.

You're a fucking 0L? Posting in THIS thread? Of all the threads you could post in?

-.-

Srsly. This is like a healthy 25-year-old walking into a treatment center for terminally ill cancer patients and loudly exclaiming: "YEAH, I HAVE THIS CUT ON MY FINGER. IT'S KIND OF LIKE DYING OF CANCER SO I LIKE TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ALL ARE GOING THROUGH LOL."

OMG! I never thought you could make me laugh and smile. But you just did--this is HILARIOUS! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
j2d3 wrote:What if you waited and waited until after everyone else in your class gets grades back except you... and so you keep waiting. Then you ask the professor about it. The professor says he'll look into it and call you back later. Ok. So you keep waiting. You go on TLS and freak out. You stare at the phone. Nothing.

THAT'S WHAT WAITING FOR MY LSAT IS EXACTLY LIKE EXCEPT PROFESSOR = LSAC LADY.

There are worse things. But I'd like to carry on with my day, not to mention my life.

You're a fucking 0L? Posting in THIS thread? Of all the threads you could post in?

-.-

Srsly. This is like a healthy 25-year-old walking into a treatment center for terminally ill cancer patients and loudly exclaiming: "YEAH, I HAVE THIS CUT ON MY FINGER. IT'S KIND OF LIKE DYING OF CANCER SO I LIKE TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ALL ARE GOING THROUGH LOL."

OMG! I never thought you could make me laugh and smile. But you just did--this is HILARIOUS! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

dslslave

Postby dslslave » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Some grades have started rolling in for a few of us. I have a question - what are the implications of doing really well your first semester? I know it opens up law review and options to transfer to better schools. Would a good gpa allow you wiggle room to ask for more scholarship $$?

24secure

Postby 24secure » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:24 pm

i dont know about for just first semester grades, but at my school if you finish in the top 20% of your class after you get your grades for the entire year, you get a scholarship of some kind, depending on what your rank is. I think the top 7% get close to a full ride.

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:53 pm

To take my mind off of the wait for grades, I've started on my assignments for next semester. :shock:

dslslave wrote:Some grades have started rolling in for a few of us. I have a question - what are the implications of doing really well your first semester? I know it opens up law review and options to transfer to better schools. Would a good gpa allow you wiggle room to ask for more scholarship $$?

If you do well enough to transfer up the ranks, at most schools you'll probably already be in the running for a year-end scholarship and I'd imagine these are as negotiable as entry scholarships. Transfer decisions seem to be made late in the summer, though, after money decisions get made. I wouldn't wait for a "yes" to start negotiating.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:11 am

vamedic03 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Do grades usually come back in before application deadlines?? I have a few job apps that are due, with transcripts, in early to mid January, and I don't think I'll have grades by then. Anyone know anything about this?

If the employer doesn't specify, then you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) Go ahead and apply ASAP without your transcript. Just mention in your cover letter that you will send your transcript as soon as its available. Every lawyer out there has been a 1L and every lawyer knows that 1L's won't have Fall semester grades until late January or early February

2) Just ask them

FWIW - I would get out your applications as soon as you can while making sure that you have a very tight cover letter and resume.

On a similar note, how are most of you applying? Do you email a resume/cover letter or mail it in? Some third option I can't think of....?

Thanks guys.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:17 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

1) Go ahead and apply ASAP without your transcript. Just mention in your cover letter that you will send your transcript as soon as its available. Every lawyer out there has been a 1L and every lawyer knows that 1L's won't have Fall semester grades until late January or early February

2) Just ask them

FWIW - I would get out your applications as soon as you can while making sure that you have a very tight cover letter and resume.

On a similar note, how are most of you applying? Do you email a resume/cover letter or mail it in? Some third option I can't think of....?

Thanks guys.

Judges: Mail chambers with cover letter / resume / references / writing sample

Firms: E-mail contact (from website or career services list) with cover letter / resume

Other (PI, gov agency, etc.): Do whatever they ask for

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:18 pm

Oh my gosh I had another grades dream last night.

My parents and I went to my professor's house for dinner (?????), and the professor told my parents I finished in the "top 70%" of her class and that a C- is something to be proud of.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFff

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:32 pm

I had the "All A's turn you into a huge douchebag" dream

Unjust Enrichment

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:44 pm

I got infected by this "dreaming about grades" thing too now, although just to the tune of a low pass in LRW.

Generally, I'm honestly less anxious about this wait than the LSAT wait, simply because I was a low GPA splitter and without a good LSAT I didn't even know if I'd get into a decent school. Now that I'm in at one, I feel less pressure because even if I'm in the median I don't think I'll be screwed.

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:24 pm

I was doing so well until last night and finally had my first grade dream. For some reason I got my actual paper test back, and the prof used the back page to calculate the whole curve so there were letters all over it, but he never actually wrote my grade on it anywhere.

mallard

Postby mallard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:34 pm

Grade wait bringing CE and OA together - I like it.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:15 pm

Damn it, now you all have me dreaming about grades. A couple nights ago I dreamt that I got an A+ in each of my substantive courses, but I received a D in LRLW (yeah, it's graded at my school). Even though it's only one credit, I was pissed off until I woke up.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Dammit, now I'm starting to have grades dreams.

Had a bad dream about my civ pro grade last night. I dreamt the mutiple choice part was also the bar exam and that I failed, only getting 8 right out of 20 questions. Further, when I received the written part back it turned out I only wrote a single sentence for every question (despite writing up until the word limit on the real thing). The professor wrote either B or B-, but he wrote it so sloppily I couldn't figure out of the "minus" was accidental. At our school, the curve is so inflated a B- is the equivalent of failing. Woke up relieved, but still not confident I'll do much better on the real thing.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Marmot wrote:To take my mind off of the wait for grades, I've started on my assignments for next semester. :shock:

I'm right there with you. :(

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:38 pm

Yeah, I've been "grade dreamin'" pretty much since before I started school, lol. I've had some interesting ones lately, that's for sure. I average probably one a night or every other night.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:22 pm

mallard wrote:Grade wait bringing CE and OA together - I like it.

There you are, Mallard. Long time no see! :)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I had the "All A's turn you into a huge douchebag" dream

Don't worry, in that case you're not in much danger of becoming one.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I had the "All A's turn you into a huge douchebag" dream

Don't worry, in that case you're not in much danger of becoming one.

:wink:

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:07 pm

So went to check my grades to see if they were up, and I saw that I had received 3 4.0s and a 3.0 in crim. Then I realized I was looking at how many credits each class was worth. The grade column was blank.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Cavalier wrote:So went to check my grades to see if they were up, and I saw that I had received 3 4.0s and a 3.0 in crim. Then I realized I was looking at how many credits each class was worth. The grade column was blank.

Lol

The real question is, were you happy or sad when you thought those were grades? That wouldn't be a bad semester.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:33 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:So went to check my grades to see if they were up, and I saw that I had received 3 4.0s and a 3.0 in crim. Then I realized I was looking at how many credits each class was worth. The grade column was blank.

Lol

The real question is, were you happy or sad when you thought those were grades? That wouldn't be a bad semester.

I was thrilled for a half second, since those grades are good enough for law review.

ddp

Postby ddp » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:54 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

2) Just ask them

you should definitely ask. on some of my applications there are clear instructions not to send in applications without transcripts. i'm assuming some places don't want to have to sort through all the applications to match up your transcript with your application. in fact, a judge i applied to wrote back asking me to send in my ENTIRE application again with my grades...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”