Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
heyguys

Bronze

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by heyguys » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Just thought I could point to something that YLS 1Ls can complain about: didn't think about it until today, but for those of us who care about getting Hs, we're competing against 2Ls and 3Ls during our 1L year, which is sort of unfortunate.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

heyguys wrote:Just thought I could point to something that YLS 1Ls can complain about: didn't think about it until today, but for those of us who care about getting Hs, we're competing against 2Ls and 3Ls during our 1L year, which is sort of unfortunate.
Do you mean in elective courses? Because as 1Ls at UVA we have that problem for our electives too, we're competing against 2Ls and 3Ls for A-s and As, and there aren't that many to go around in those classes.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:56 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
heyguys wrote:Just thought I could point to something that YLS 1Ls can complain about: didn't think about it until today, but for those of us who care about getting Hs, we're competing against 2Ls and 3Ls during our 1L year, which is sort of unfortunate.
Do you mean in elective courses? Because as 1Ls at UVA we have that problem for our electives too, we're competing against 2Ls and 3Ls for A-s and As, and there aren't that many to go around in those classes.

That's why I only picked 90+ person classes - its easier to have an A or A- exam when the professor can give 5 A's and 25 A-'s than 1 A and 5 A-'s . . . I don't plan on taking a small class until 3L . . .

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:57 pm

vamedic03 wrote:That's why I only picked 90+ person classes - its easier to have an A or A- exam when the professor can give 5 A's and 25 A-'s than 1 A and 5 A-'s . . . I don't plan on taking a small class until 3L . . .
Haha, same here.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:16 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

That's why I only picked 90+ person classes - its easier to have an A or A- exam when the professor can give 5 A's and 25 A-'s than 1 A and 5 A-'s . . . I don't plan on taking a small class until 3L . . .
+1

I messed up real bad by taking Brief Writing this semester. I like the class and all, but it's 20 gunners banging heads together for one A+. Then again, I'll turn in my brief right after spring break, and I won't have to take a final. Still, I don't like the graded writing classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:29 pm

It's not any easier to get an A or A- in a class with 90 people vs. a class with 30 people. The composition of the class is just less likely to make a difference in the distribution.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:54 pm

If I could ask you guys:

I'm really interested by how competitive everyone here is, and I just thought I would ask: do you think that law school made you into a competitive person, or did you come in with that mindset already in place? I guess I've just seen it occur in friends in both ways--some were just competitive to begin with, and some were in no way competitive but sort of became so because of law school culture.

Ha, so I guess it's a nature/nurture question of sorts--do you think law school changed you in this regard, or did it just give you a new way to express a disposition that you were already committed to put forward?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:59 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:02 pm

heyguys wrote:If I could ask you guys:

I'm really interested by how competitive everyone here is, and I just thought I would ask: do you think that law school made you into a competitive person, or did you come in with that mindset already in place? I guess I've just seen it occur in friends in both ways--some were just competitive to begin with, and some were in no way competitive but sort of became so because of law school culture.

Ha, so I guess it's a nature/nurture question of sorts--do you think law school changed you in this regard, or did it just give you a new way to express a disposition that you were already committed to put forward?
I think that if you don't have the necessary components of competitiveness--self-discipline, drive, ambition, strong work ethic--going to law school is probably a pretty bad idea, unless it's being completely paid for by someone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:08 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

I think that if you don't have the necessary components of competitiveness--self-discipline, drive, ambition, strong work ethic--going to law school is probably a pretty bad idea, unless it's being completely paid for by someone else.

I actually think this is entirely correct, as you say, unless you either have a full ride or you are somewhere where grades don't matter (HYS). This thread kills me insofar as I can just tell that if I were at UT or wherever a lot of you guys are going, I would almost certainly be eaten alive :D !

VincentChase

New

Post by VincentChase » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 pm

As far as competitiveness goes, I feel like you have to be - especially in this economy - because the margin for error between smart people on an unforgiving curve is so razor thin.

As far as being in classes with 2L's and 3L's, sometimes I'm intimidated by it, sometimes I think, "They don't care any more since they already are done with the most important grades year." I can't figure out if it's a good or a bad thing to be in class with them.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:21 am

come on civ pro....

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm just struck by the increased levels of competition around here since the semester started. I think the shock of getting grades plus the stress of the 1L job search has put a lot of people on edge.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Esc wrote:I'm just struck by the increased levels of competition around here since the semester started. I think the shock of getting grades plus the stress of the 1L job search has put a lot of people on edge.
Yeah same here. Although, as we all predicted here, many of the people who were all gung-ho at the library the first couple weeks are gone now.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm

If you're not competitive, legal practice may not be for you. Its an adversarial system - your goal is to win for your client (whether it be in court, or getting the best terms for a contract, etc.) . . . at some level you have to be competitive

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:18 pm

vamedic03 wrote:If you're not competitive, legal practice may not be for you. Its an adversarial system - your goal is to win for your client (whether it be in court, or getting the best terms for a contract, etc.) . . . at some level you have to be competitive
Well, with a sufficiently prestigious degree and a few years' experience, he/she could always go into the lucrative field of document review.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:53 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
If you're not competitive, legal practice may not be for you. Its an adversarial system - your goal is to win for your client (whether it be in court, or getting the best terms for a contract, etc.) . . . at some level you have to be competitive
The bulk of legal practice isn't even really meaningfully adversarial. From what I understand, there's plenty of room for relatively clever hard workers to fill a niche (transactional work, tax law, etc).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:59 pm

heyguys is competitive.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:59 pm

no civ pro until at least next Thursday. goddamn it.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Dear Corporations Professor:

You have fucked off on the grade for so long that it now shows up as "IN PROGRESS" in the grade system. Congratulations, you failure of a human being!

If you don't get them done by Tuesday, we'll officially be halfway through the Winter quarter before you get the fucking grade for the autumn quarter in.

God, tenure is retarded.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 pm

superserial wrote:no civ pro until at least next Thursday. goddamn it.
whoever told me that was lying because civ pro has arrived. finally finished!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:09 am

legends159 wrote:heyguys is competitive.
competitive = jackass? agreed

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:29 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Dear Corporations Professor:

You have fucked off on the grade for so long that it now shows up as "IN PROGRESS" in the grade system. Congratulations, you failure of a human being!

If you don't get them done by Tuesday, we'll officially be halfway through the Winter quarter before you get the fucking grade for the autumn quarter in.

God, tenure is retarded.
Corporations is a first semester 1L class?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:35 am

Renzo wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Dear Corporations Professor:

God, tenure is retarded.
Corporations is a first semester 1L class?
I may be posting.. slightly out of character for this particular thread.

I'm a transfer, man. I count as a pseudo-1L.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:37 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I'm a transfer, man. I count as a pseudo-1L.
Hahaha. Well, I think we can let you hang around, since some of us might need your help with transfer advice later anyway. :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”