Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:39 pm

joobacca wrote:No one knows me here and there's no way anyone can, or more likely care enough, to out me so i will post my grades

B+, B+, B+, B+

consistently above average or consistently below good?


"At least you're consistent"

Arguably the most irrelevant honor of all time. Still, median is a solid job.

Edit: depends on the curve. But I'd be fine with those grades.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Im still not entirely sure how my curve works, but I finally have some grades: A- in torts and A in Civ Pro

User avatar
joobacca
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby joobacca » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:48 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
joobacca wrote:No one knows me here and there's no way anyone can, or more likely care enough, to out me so i will post my grades

B+, B+, B+, B+

consistently above average or consistently below good?


"At least you're consistent"

Arguably the most irrelevant honor of all time. Still, median is a solid job.

Edit: depends on the curve. But I'd be fine with those grades.


hahaha the most irrelevant honor of all time
i must agree... i guess i have most of the important shit down and need to focus on writing style and details? i have no idea where to go from here now... i thought i (with unwarranted arrogance) aced two of finals and totally messed up with the other two, but they ended up all the same. i realize the curve has a large role in this, but wtf am i supposed to get out of this in terms of study methods
classmates have told me that mandatory median is 3.0 so i'm assuming top ~30%

User avatar
joobacca
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby joobacca » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:49 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Im still not entirely sure how my curve works, but I finally have some grades: A- in torts and A in Civ Pro


congratulations
i would assume that's extremely good regardless of curve

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby superserial » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 pm

apper123 wrote:Warning: thinly veiled brag coming.

But I know I've turned a corner in my academic career when I am legitimately frustrated I missed a CALI in a 50+ person class by two wrong MC questions on an exam. ahhhhhhh im turning into one of those grade snobs i always hated in college.


bragging about doing well on a multiple choice exam strikes me as kind of ridiculous (yeah, I know law school MC exams are supposed to be hard and stuff, but still)... and you've been doing it for about a week.

GreenHeels
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:48 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby GreenHeels » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 pm

I am in shock. And since I can't share with my classmates, I'm sharing with you.

A (CivPro), A (Criminal Justice (cops and robbers)), A- (ConLaw)

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:20 pm

superserial wrote:
apper123 wrote:Warning: thinly veiled brag coming.

But I know I've turned a corner in my academic career when I am legitimately frustrated I missed a CALI in a 50+ person class by two wrong MC questions on an exam. ahhhhhhh im turning into one of those grade snobs i always hated in college.


bragging about doing well on a multiple choice exam strikes me as kind of ridiculous (yeah, I know law school MC exams are supposed to be hard and stuff, but still)... and you've been doing it for about a week.


Only one part was MC, and I honestly did not do well on it.

However, I am sorry if I bothered any of you guys with my posts about grades on here. I simply cannot speak to anyone IRL about them, at least anyone who would understand, so I let loose a lot of my elation on here. Sorry if I went over the top.

:-(

I promise to be better in the future.
Last edited by apper123 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:31 pm

dude we get that you did exceptionally well first semester

now stop referencing it every post you make, jesus fucking christ

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:32 pm

Lxw wrote:dude we get that you did exceptionally well first semester

now stop referencing it every post you make, jesus fucking christ


...

I guess I didn't get the message across I wanted to with my last post.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:35 pm

apper123 wrote:
Lxw wrote:dude we get that you did exceptionally well first semester

now stop referencing it every post you make, jesus fucking christ


...

I guess I didn't get the message across I wanted to with my last post.


Stop being happy. THERE IS NO HAPPINESS ON TLS!! NO JOBS!! OVERWHELMING DEBT!!! DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!!!

User avatar
sugarcat
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby sugarcat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 pm

haha haters.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Stop being happy. THERE IS NO HAPPINESS ON TLS!! NO JOBS!! OVERWHELMING DEBT!!! DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!!!

This.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Sometimes I have no idea what to take seriously...

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 pm

^nailed it.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:57 pm

betasteve wrote:
apper123 wrote:Sometimes I have no idea what to take seriously...

nothing, if you wish to keep your sanity.


i suppose now would be a bad time for a knock knock joke

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:02 pm

It's amazing how eager we are to share our misery but drive away any joy.

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby napolnic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It's amazing how eager we are to share our misery but drive away any joy.

schadenfreude

I'm sure there's another good German word for enjoying the joy of others, but let's be honest, no one does that.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:14 pm

napolnic wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:It's amazing how eager we are to share our misery but drive away any joy.

schadenfreude

I'm sure there's another good German word for enjoying the joy of others, but let's be honest, no one except for OperaSoprano does that.


FTFY

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:16 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
napolnic wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:It's amazing how eager we are to share our misery but drive away any joy.

schadenfreude
I'm sure there's another good German word for enjoying the joy of others, but let's be honest, no one except for OperaSoprano does that.

FTFY

:mrgreen: ^^credited

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 am

Okay. 3.55 at GULC. Model answer for one class. I want to go into corporate law at a big firm in a secondary market. Median is ~3.34. Should I be happy? Any thoughts on what my class rank will be? Where's that math locust guy.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:46 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Okay. 3.55 at GULC. Model answer for one class. I want to go into corporate law at a big firm in a secondary market. Median is ~3.34. Should I be happy? Any thoughts on what my class rank will be? Where's that math locust guy.


In advance, thesealocust will likely need one additional data point. For example, do you know what the grade cutoff is for law review or latin honors?

My educated non-statistical guess is that you are very close to the top 1/3. In terms of corporate law at a big firm in a secondary market, that can be very unpredictable. You should at least have a good shot, but it ultimatley depends on the market and the firm. I've mentioned this in a few other threads, but there are some markets where you are much better off graduating in the top 10% from a lowly ranked T2 than the top 33% from a T14.

At the end of the day, the have a limited # of openeings and have reserved a set # of seats for people coming from local schools.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:07 am

chadwick218 wrote:there are some markets where you are much better off graduating in the top 10% from a lowly ranked T2 than the top 33% from a T14.


Which markets?

Everything I've heard from people in my market suggests that the big local firms are only interviewing the top 5-10 people (not percent) at the local T2 and only the top 5-10% or so at the local T1 ITE. And considering how these firms are known for being very loyal to the local schools, I'd be surprised to hear it's much different elsewhere.

Wildcat
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Wildcat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:04 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:there are some markets where you are much better off graduating in the top 10% from a lowly ranked T2 than the top 33% from a T14.


Which markets?

Everything I've heard from people in my market suggests that the big local firms are only interviewing the top 5-10 people (not percent) at the local T2 and only the top 5-10% or so at the local T1 ITE. And considering how these firms are known for being very loyal to the local schools, I'd be surprised to hear it's much different elsewhere.


My area has a strong local market from our feeder law school ranked in the 60s. There are several kids (including myself) in our top 10 students who could not get a job with medium/larger firms in the area. I can't possibly see how anyone outside the top 25% will get a job without massive family connections.

Hello working as a Research Assistant 2L summer...

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby nealric » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:40 am

Okay. 3.55 at GULC. Model answer for one class. I want to go into corporate law at a big firm in a secondary market. Median is ~3.34. Should I be happy? Any thoughts on what my class rank will be? Where's that math locust guy.


That was top 15% on the old curve. On the new curve it's probably top 1/3. You have a decent shot at a big firm assuming things aren't in total meltdown mode like they were this year.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:40 pm

nealric wrote:
Okay. 3.55 at GULC. Model answer for one class. I want to go into corporate law at a big firm in a secondary market. Median is ~3.34. Should I be happy? Any thoughts on what my class rank will be? Where's that math locust guy.


That was top 15% on the old curve. On the new curve it's probably top 1/3. You have a decent shot at a big firm assuming things aren't in total meltdown mode like they were this year.


Excellent. Hopefully i can bump it up above 3.65 this spring and then assault 2L OCI.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cdotson2, hairbear7, lymenheimer, pancakes3, Tiddlywinks and 4 guests