Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mallard

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby mallard » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:06 pm

superserial wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
superserial wrote:I'm glad it's not uncommon to have no idea what your grades are going to look like. I was a bit worried that this was a sign of fail.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would take at least a couple of semesters of law school to have any idea of how you did on an exam. Personally I know which questions went better than others, but other than a handful of comments made (negligently) by classmates, I have absolutely no idea how everyone else did, so I have no way of knowing whether my performance was above average or not. I doubt even the people who did write the best answers have any idea either.

I generally don't talk about exams unless people bring them up, but my really cocky friend seems to think he killed all our exams and that civ pro was "a joke."

Did he do any PTs? Why would a law school exam be surprisingly easy?

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:05 pm

superserial wrote:I'm glad it's not uncommon to have no idea what your grades are going to look like. I was a bit worried that this was a sign of fail.

Nope! I usually think I did much worse on the exam than in reality. Definitely have had a couple grades where I thought the prof must have been mistaken...although I didn't go check with him to see. :wink:

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:46 pm

mallard wrote:
superserial wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would take at least a couple of semesters of law school to have any idea of how you did on an exam. Personally I know which questions went better than others, but other than a handful of comments made (negligently) by classmates, I have absolutely no idea how everyone else did, so I have no way of knowing whether my performance was above average or not. I doubt even the people who did write the best answers have any idea either.

I generally don't talk about exams unless people bring them up, but my really cocky friend seems to think he killed all our exams and that civ pro was "a joke."

apparently. they weren't surprisingly easy; they were on par with previous exams.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:47 pm

mallard wrote:
superserial wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

I feel the same way about my civ pro exam as does everybody else in the class I talked to. The issues were very narrow and the fact patterns weren't that long and overall the issues hit and frame of the questions was similar to the many practice exams that he made available. Prof tends to gives very few grades above or below median.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:00 pm

I found my civ pro exam to be a lot easier than the two practice tests the prof provided us with...one fact patter instead of two, and very direct questions while the previous ones it was a lot easier to miss what the q was asking for(prof told us that half the class missed the erie question entirely or answered it in the wrong place). However, I feel far less confident in my performance on the actual exam because I feel certain everyone would have gotten the straightforward points, leaving a much smaller margin of error....

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I feel the same way about my civ pro exam as does everybody else in the class I talked to. The issues were very narrow and the fact patterns weren't that long and overall the issues hit and frame of the questions was similar to the many practice exams that he made available. Prof tends to gives very few grades above or below median.

but did you spot the pendent personal jurisdiction issue?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:36 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I feel the same way about my civ pro exam as does everybody else in the class I talked to. The issues were very narrow and the fact patterns weren't that long and overall the issues hit and frame of the questions was similar to the many practice exams that he made available. Prof tends to gives very few grades above or below median.

the what now?

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

the what now?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:56 pm

CE2JD wrote:

lol

ak362

Postby ak362 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:10 pm

CE2JD wrote:

No, it was ancillary to my discussion and analysis.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:44 pm

FYI: Waiting for grades doesn't become less horrible in 2L.

Anyway, back to drinking to forget about the grade waiting game..

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:54 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:FYI: Waiting for grades doesn't become less horrible in 2L.

Probably worse as a transfer, I'd imagine it comes with a lot of the same anxiety that there was the first time around?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:FYI: Waiting for grades doesn't become less horrible in 2L.

Probably worse as a transfer, I'd imagine it comes with a lot of the same anxiety that there was the first time around?

Well, yes and no. The 2L summer thing is figured out, so you don't have that stress. However, personally, I'm one of these people who always feel like they're the biggest idiot in the room, so there is some "the people at [new school] are going to bury me."

I also want to clerk, so, in that respect, it's worse than 1L. To be honest, my first semester, I really wasn't that stressed, because I convinced myself rather early on that I would be bringing up the bottom of the class. 2nd semester, however, was probably the most stressful few weeks of my life, since the transfer acceptance hinged on those grades.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:00 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I also want to clerk, so, in that respect, it's worse than 1L. To be honest, my first semester, I really wasn't that stressed, because I convinced myself rather early on that I would be bringing up the bottom of the class. 2nd semester, however, was probably the most stressful few weeks of my life, since the transfer acceptance hinged on those grades.

:-/

It makes us strong, right?

...right?

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:01 am

thesealocust wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:I also want to clerk, so, in that respect, it's worse than 1L. To be honest, my first semester, I really wasn't that stressed, because I convinced myself rather early on that I would be bringing up the bottom of the class. 2nd semester, however, was probably the most stressful few weeks of my life, since the transfer acceptance hinged on those grades.

...right?

hold me

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:02 am

thesealocust wrote:

...right?

Feel the grade stress. Be the grade stress. Dominate the grade stress. [Insert appropriate Courage Wolf picture]

Or just drink a lot.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:04 am

--ImageRemoved--

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:32 am

thesealocust wrote:--ImageRemoved--

courage wolf always has the answer

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:59 am

CE2JD wrote:
thesealocust wrote::-/

...right?

hold me

when does the hurting stop?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 am

thesealocust wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

...right?

hold me

In less than a month... for better or worse. Probably worse.

ak362

Postby ak362 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:47 am

Kohinoor wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

...right?

hold me

In less than a month... for better or worse. Probably worse.

Then it may be a whole different kind of hurting...

24secure

Postby 24secure » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:02 pm

How bad would you have to screw the test up to get an F on it? Not saying I did, just the waiting is starting to get to me.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:49 pm

24secure wrote:How bad would you have to screw the test up to get an F on it? Not saying I did, just the waiting is starting to get to me.

FWIW, looking through grade distributions (literally years worth) at my T10 I saw a single F, and there was a hand written note about the fact that id didn't count for purposes of curving the class :P

(1 F, 0 Ds of any kind, 0 C-s, 0Cs, and a handful but not many C+s)

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:
24secure wrote:How bad would you have to screw the test up to get an F on it? Not saying I did, just the waiting is starting to get to me.

FWIW, looking through grade distributions (literally years worth) at my T10 I saw a single F, and there was a hand written note about the fact that id didn't count for purposes of curving the class :P

Saw a few C's from my profs.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Saw a few C's from my profs.

This really depends on the school though...if you have a 2.5 curve I'd imagine there would be a few F's D's each semester.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”