Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:50 am

I can't concentrate on my memo anyway, so:

--ImageRemoved--

I <3 you guys, and wish everyone the best news possible.

JPeavy44

New

Post by JPeavy44 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:59 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I can't concentrate on my memo anyway, so:

--ImageRemoved--

I <3 you guys, and wish everyone the best news possible.
that's a cute kitty :D

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:11 am

FloridaGirl shouldn't have all the fun. 'Night, guys.

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:31 am

only one grade in
it looks so lonely to me
please bring it some friends

Wildcat

New

Post by Wildcat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:50 am

Grades are all in at my school.

One fact that stands out as surprising to me is the difference in GPA spreads between the current 2Ls and 1Ls. The 1Ls have about 5 people at or near a 4.0 after their first semester (out of a class of about 140ish. This is not nearly the case with the 2Ls class, they never had many people near a 4.0 (even as 1Ls their highest gpa was apparently only about a 3.9). Now the 2L class barely has anyone over a 3.75. The curve is a 3.0 and there have not been any changes to the grading.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:04 am

Wildcat wrote:Grades are all in at my school.

One fact that stands out as surprising to me is the difference in GPA spreads between the current 2Ls and 1Ls. The 1Ls have about 5 people at or near a 4.0 after their first semester (out of a class of about 140ish. This is not nearly the case with the 2Ls class, they never had many people near a 4.0 (even as 1Ls their highest gpa was apparently only about a 3.9). Now the 2L class barely has anyone over a 3.75. The curve is a 3.0 and there have not been any changes to the grading.
variance

same deal at my school.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 am

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 am

Public Service Announcement: SIS is back up

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:30 am

I shouldn't have read this thread this morning. All you UVA people have me all stressed out, reading about what will inevitably be how I'm acting on *hopefully* Friday afternoon.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 pm

3/4 of my grades are in. Now I'm shitting bricks for the 4th, and lucky for me, Mr. Unpredictable is doing the grading.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 pm

So I have learned that although all 4 of my professors allow me to come in an talk about the exams, only 2 of my professors are actually willing to show me my exams. My suspicion is that they realize once I see the crinkled edges and bent pages from being thrown down a flight of stairs so many times, I'll have their grading system all figured out!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:45 pm

betasteve wrote:
chompchain wrote:Now I actually have all my grades, I have to say that the wait wasn't that bad. I'd say for 70% of the people the joy of having hope is better than cold, unforgiving reality.

Having said that, it's now fun to poke betasteve for not having grades. I feel like I'm waving a red flag at a bull, but surely he won't ban me :wink: I'm only doing this b/c he'll probably have his A's by tomorrow and the chance'll be gone
Who are you?
Someone who is not long for this world, apparently.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:46 pm

betasteve wrote:
chompchain wrote:Now I actually have all my grades, I have to say that the wait wasn't that bad. I'd say for 70% of the people the joy of having hope is better than cold, unforgiving reality.

Having said that, it's now fun to poke betasteve for not having grades. I feel like I'm waving a red flag at a bull, but surely he won't ban me :wink: I'm only doing this b/c he'll probably have his A's by tomorrow and the chance'll be gone
Who are you?
I was thinking the exact same thing last night, but didn't bother saying anything. There ought to be a discredibility feature on TLS. Unfortunately, given the fact that at least 1/3 of my posts are inappropriate, I would have been permanently discredited a long time ago.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:30 pm

still. no. grades. EFF!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:13 pm

Esc wrote:still. no. grades. EFF!
Doods, we have like, another week at least.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:15 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
showNprove wrote:Public Service Announcement: SIS is back up
I know. :cry:
*hugs*

Re: asking to see our exams: can we do that? I mean, I know we can, but is there even a possibility something good will come of making that request?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:23 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Re: asking to see our exams: can we do that? I mean, I know we can, but is there even a possibility something good will come of making that request?
Possibly, I found a calculation error in one of my exams and am hoping for resolution!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:25 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Re: asking to see our exams: can we do that? I mean, I know we can, but is there even a possibility something good will come of making that request?
Possibly, I found a calculation error in one of my exams and am hoping for resolution!
My god! I haven't been following closely enough, and I'm sure you've discussed it already. Was it something major? (I think anything on an exam would be major, but that is my own freaked out nature).

Has anyone at your school been receptive to helping you?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:28 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:My god! I haven't been following closely enough, and I'm sure you've discussed it already. Was it something major? (I think anything on an exam would be major, but that is my own freaked out nature).

In process ... so only time will tell! Utlimately, it was just a miscount of the total # of tallies.

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:42 pm

OperaSoprano wrote: Re: asking to see our exams: can we do that? I mean, I know we can, but is there even a possibility something good will come of making that request?
The benefit for me has come from learning where I screwed up...even on exams where I did well. On my Crim Law exam, where I ended up just a little above the curve, I found out that I answered the wrong question on our last short answer question and received no points. On my Contracts exam, where I got one of the top grades in the class, I realized I also tanked it towards the end. My answers to the first 4 questions were at the top of the class, but my answer to the last one (which was of a type that I nailed in exam prep) was at the median. So on two exams, I tanked the last question. I know from SAT prep and years on the math and academic teams in high school that I usually struggled a lot more as exams went on. So I know that I need to take steps to combat that.

Also, looking at my exams and hearing what the professor wanted gave me a lot of confidence - they don't want rocket surgery (at least at my school). There wasn't anything my professors said that I missed that was something we hadn't covered or that I couldn't piece together given the chance. This led to changes in how I prepare for and take exams as well.

I will go see any professor where I think it might help or who it might help to get some time in front of. Putting a face with that A in a one-on-one situation isn't the worst thing come recommendation letter time. I don't go to see professors when I think looking at the exams will be fruitless. I have had a couple of those.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:45 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:My god! I haven't been following closely enough, and I'm sure you've discussed it already. Was it something major? (I think anything on an exam would be major, but that is my own freaked out nature).

In process ... so only time will tell! Utlimately, it was just a miscount of the total # of tallies.
I hope you get a speedy resolution-- that is horrendous, and I feel for you.

Connelly- Thanks. I might ask to meet with my Crim Law professor. The grade was fine, but I want to see exactly what her thoughts were re: the single long and convoluted fact pattern.

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:29 pm

grades are due monday, and 3/4 are still out...gg

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:34 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Re: asking to see our exams: can we do that? I mean, I know we can, but is there even a possibility something good will come of making that request?
It's definitely prof specific, so it is worth a shot, 2 of mine are holding 'group' exam reviews, which I imagine won't be all that helpful for people trying to figure out the difference between an A/A- versus a B/C due to the curve.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Three of my four profs are receptive to this so far. The problem is that the one exam I most need to see is from the fourth, and I haven't been able to get ahold of him yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”