Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sperry

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby sperry » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:56 pm

markymark wrote:Waiting for 1L grades is so much EASIER than waiting for the LSAT.

I was anxious to get my LSAT back because I knew there was a chance I did really well. I know I got killed on my LS finals. LS grades are going to ruin my mood.

This. I knew I had done really, really well on the LSAT, but also knew that with a couple of random mistakes here and there would mean the difference between HYS and not HYS.

Law School finals I know I didn't do well on. Median at best, very bad at worst, none of which are appealing. I'm actually kind of dreading getting grades because until then I can pretend that I did well.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm a bit surprised that so many TLSers slacked off last semester.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:04 pm

steve_nash wrote:
Oblomov wrote:It gets worse, waiting for callbacks.

I went through a period last fall where I kept thinking that my phone had vibrated. Sadly, it had not.

that happened to me towards the end of the semester... except I wasn't expecting any calls, so it was extra crazy.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:17 pm

I don't know about you guys and gals, but my school uses exam4 software which saves the file we use for our tests, and we can look back and read our essay answers...

lol im afraid to open them up and give them a thorough read through hahaha

Ugh, like everyone else here: I just want my grades

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Zeph wrote:I don't know about you guys and gals, but my school uses exam4 software which saves the file we use for our tests, and we can look back and read our essay answers...

I already reread one of mine.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:18 pm

mallard wrote:
Zeph wrote:I don't know about you guys and gals, but my school uses exam4 software which saves the file we use for our tests, and we can look back and read our essay answers...

I already reread one of mine.

you are braver than me ;)

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:I'm a bit surprised that so many TLSers slacked off last semester.

?

You can easily be worried about your grades without having slacked off at all.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:20 pm

Zeph wrote:you are braver than me ;)

One of them was locked or something and I got scared I was going to mess something up or the school would find out I'd been back in them. Otherwise I would have read all of them.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:21 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I'm a bit surprised that so many TLSers slacked off last semester.

?

TBF, I admitted to having slacked off. It's really true. I'd never have expected that from myself, but it happened.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:22 pm

mallard wrote:
Zeph wrote:you are braver than me ;)

One of them was locked or something and I got scared I was going to mess something up or the school would find out I'd been back in them. Otherwise I would have read all of them.

As far as i know we are allowed to look at them, but who knows that may vary from school to school...

Obviously it varies from school to school, but when should we expect our grades? mid January?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:23 pm

We just save them as word files. I read all of mine again. Other then realizing I misspelled posession a bunch of times on my crim law final, they were pretty much what I remember writing...

DURS

Postby DURS » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Although I've been tempted, I haven't done this yet. I imagine that it would make waiting for grades worse.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:25 pm

DURS wrote:

Although I've been tempted, I haven't done this yet. I imagine that it would make waiting for grades worse.

exactly =)

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:27 pm

For me it made waiting for grades better. I mean, I got to see that I brought in concepts from class, it was in complete sentences, etc.

Zeph

Postby Zeph » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:30 pm

mallard wrote:For me it made waiting for grades better. I mean, I got to see that I brought in concepts from class, it was in complete sentences, etc.

whatever helps bud, good luck! =)

Esc

Postby Esc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:30 pm

This is way worse than waiting for LSAT scores....and I walked out of my LSAT feeling awful. I know I slacked off too much this semester, and I feel like I had some major brain farts during my CrimLaw exam.

Knowing one could have anything from an A+ to a B- is a terrible feeling. Knowing that the best one could hope for is an A- (CrimLaw...) is worse...

Oh, and I would sooner poke my eye with a fork than reread my exams.

panda

Postby panda » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:33 pm

dresden doll wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

?

TBF, I admitted to having slacked off. It's really true. I'd never have expected that from myself, but it happened.

the thing is, i don't know if i actually slacked off, because i can't realistically imagine myself working more than i did without going absolutely crazy. but, i also know there were plenty of people that worked a lot more than me. so, i have NO idea where i stand. i do know that i burned out a LOT faster than i expected..

personally, waiting for LSAT was worse. but that's more because back then i had no distractions, i was literally just waiting.. and had so much riding on that score.. and now, i have coming home, going out, etc.. keeping me busy from thinking about it..

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:35 pm

I made the worst mistake on a crimlaw exam question. I was arguing both sides and saying stuff like "X's attorney could argue this while Y's attorney would point to...".

I seemed to have momentarily forgot this is fucking crim law and Y doesn't have an attorney it's the fucking state. FML.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Esc wrote:Oh, and I would sooner poke my eye with a fork than reread my exams.

^This. But I read one anyway, just because I'm a freaking masochist.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Bankhead wrote:I made the worst mistake on a crimlaw exam question. I was arguing both sides and saying stuff like "X's attorney could argue this while Y's attorney would point to...".

I seemed to have momentarily forgot this is fucking crim law and Y doesn't have an attorney it's the fucking state. FML.

This is not a real mistake. Don't worry.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:11 pm

DURS wrote:

I tried reopening my essays in Exam4, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:18 pm

If you can access your exams, I would STRONGLY advise not doing so.

I waited on my midterm, and got a non-bad grade on it. I then re-read it, and almost shat myself, it was the sloppiest piece of shit I'd ever produced, I must have been in a haze. I literally would have expected the lowest grade in the class if I had re-read it before getting the grade.

When we read exams, typos and certain issues absent or poorly discussed jump out at us. When our professors read them, they're looking for particular methods of analysis and comparing to peers - there's just no way we can accurately gauge our own performance.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:27 pm

I'm glad it's not uncommon to have no idea what your grades are going to look like. I was a bit worried that this was a sign of fail.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:41 pm

superserial wrote:I'm glad it's not uncommon to have no idea what your grades are going to look like. I was a bit worried that this was a sign of fail.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would take at least a couple of semesters of law school to have any idea of how you did on an exam. Personally I know which questions went better than others, but other than a handful of comments made (negligently) by classmates, I have absolutely no idea how everyone else did, so I have no way of knowing whether my performance was above average or not. I doubt even the people who did write the best answers have any idea either.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Cavalier wrote:
superserial wrote:I'm glad it's not uncommon to have no idea what your grades are going to look like. I was a bit worried that this was a sign of fail.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would take at least a couple of semesters of law school to have any idea of how you did on an exam. Personally I know which questions went better than others, but other than a handful of comments made (negligently) by classmates, I have absolutely no idea how everyone else did, so I have no way of knowing whether my performance was above average or not. I doubt even the people who did write the best answers have any idea either.

I generally don't talk about exams unless people bring them up, but my really cocky friend seems to think he killed all our exams and that civ pro was "a joke."

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”