Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chadwick218

Silver

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Renzo wrote:You know what's pathetic? I know for a fact that all grades will be posted on the 20th, and that nothing will be available before then. The school said so in no uncertain terms. Yet, everyday I log in to look...
We are being told the 14th and yet I have done the very same thing as least twice daily since walking out of my last exam!

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Renzo wrote:You know what's pathetic? I know for a fact that all grades will be posted on the 20th, and that nothing will be available before then. The school said so in no uncertain terms. Yet, everyday I log in to look...
i never read this anywhere?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 pm

betasteve wrote:
rayiner wrote:We don't get grades for another week, quit yer bitching!
2-4 weeks. motherfuckers.
same. this will permanently color my impression of this school.

coherentowst

New

Post by coherentowst » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:32 pm

So why do law schools wait this long? All the schools I've gone to (including a couple of grad programs) got their grades in before Christmas. Are they just waiting for the checks to clear for the next semester?

Sorry if this has been asked already - I'm too lazy to read this whole thread:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:37 pm

coherentowst wrote:So why do law schools wait this long? All the schools I've gone to (including a couple of grad programs) got their grades in before Christmas. Are they just waiting for the checks to clear for the next semester?

Sorry if this has been asked already - I'm too lazy to read this whole thread:
In a nutshell, at some schools, Professors are lazy! At others, it does take considerable time to reach through 100 15-20 page exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm

KidA23 wrote:
Cole S. Law wrote:
heyguys wrote: I would love hearing others' input on this, but my general sense is that Yale doesn't grade because they don't have to. but the question of why they don't have to is the truly interesting one: the most obvious ones are prestigious name and relative scarcity of graduates. but the more interesting notion is that it's because the stuff we actually learn in law school isn't that useful for and doesn't really correlate to doing well in firm work. Grades, however, would probably correlate because employers simply use how well you can do in, e.g., torts and Ks to establish how clever you are. They probably just assume that since YLS's class is so small and reputedly so selective, the people going there have already been subjected to a rigorous enough 'screening process' to determine how clever the person they're considering is. This is how a lot of other professions work--e.g. finance and investment banking: it's not really about what you know coming out, it's about showing employers that you pick up information and can use it quickly so that you can be productive with what they want to ask of you.
I would say Yale doesn't grade because doing so would be exceptionally difficult. Nearly everyone's exam answers will be brilliant so applying a curve would be nearly impossible (or arbitrary) and giving out 95% A's makes a joke out of "grading".
Oh come on.

Exactly. If I guess right on maybe 4 LSAT questions, there's a reasonable chance I'm in at Yale. There are people at that school who are no smarter than me, yet I'm about to finish median or possibly worse at the school I did end up at.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:07 pm

heyguys wrote: They probably just assume that since YLS's class is so small and reputedly so selective, the people going there have already been subjected to a rigorous enough 'screening process' to determine how clever the person they're considering is.
probably some employers can afford to [assume this] - but it's not as if the content we're all learning is completely irrelevant - and it's not as if yale magically admits 225 people good enough to clerk for scotus/make partner at wachtell/get tenure at a t6 law school

the cream of the crop can't just rest on having "already been subjected to a rigorous enough 'screening process'"...no matter how touchy-feely your professors want to make your 3 years

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:15 pm

TTT-LS wrote:Northwestern update: a closer view of past precedent indicates that grades will likely be out around 1:45pm on Wednesday 1/13. I have bet another student that grades won't be up until Thursday, but last year and the year before grades were out the Wednesday afternoon after grades were due (and grades are due in to the registrar on Monday 1/11). In other words, I think I'm going to lose that bet.
Why can't U of C have their own 3L to give them precise predictions like these? FML.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:18 pm

TTT-LS wrote:Northwestern update: a closer view of past precedent indicates that grades will likely be out around 1:45pm on Wednesday 1/13. I have bet another student that grades won't be up until Thursday, but last year and the year before grades were out the Wednesday afternoon after grades were due (and grades are due in to the registrar on Monday 1/11). In other words, I think I'm going to lose that bet.
LOL.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:19 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Why can't U of C have their own 3L to give them precise predictions like these? FML.
At least we know we're supposed to get them this week, right?

My buddies at Wisconsin essentially have an open window that lasts from now until the end of Jan.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:22 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
At least we know we're supposed to get them this week, right?

My buddies at Wisconsin essentially have an open window that lasts from now until the end of Jan.
True. And I don't even know why I'm bitching about any of this. It's not like I'm looking forward to seeing them.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:24 pm

You're looking forward to the drinking opportunity that goes along with seeing them!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Snooker wrote:
heyguys wrote:
KidA23 wrote: Oh come on.
Agreed +1000
+10,000. People should read Mallard's post in the Harvard thread. Just because you see the name "Harvard" or "Yale" doesn't necessarily mean everyone there is a super genius.
-10,001. By almost any measurement, Yale is full of super geniuses. Why one would try to deny that perplexes me.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:
Snooker wrote:
heyguys wrote:
KidA23 wrote: Oh come on.
Agreed +1000
+10,000. People should read Mallard's post in the Harvard thread. Just because you see the name "Harvard" or "Yale" doesn't necessarily mean everyone there is a super genius.
-10,001. By almost any measurement, Yale is full of super geniuses. Why one would try to deny that perplexes me.
i agree - the issue is not their intelligence - the issue is whether their 3 years in law school aid (or inhibit) development of habits of mind/character that will foster not just success, but the kind of success that justifies the immediate impressions people have when they hear they graduated from [insert super-elite law school name here]

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:37 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:You're looking forward to the drinking opportunity that goes along with seeing them!
You already know me too well. :P

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:40 pm

The pattern holds for last spring semester as well (grades came out in early afternoon two days after grades were due).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:49 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:You're looking forward to the drinking opportunity that goes along with seeing them!
I just recognize a kindred spirit when I see one!

I'm still wary of your potential vodka-consuming ability, though.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:00 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

You ought to have been around for Wine Mess. Not to mention the aftermath where we headed to Regents and cooked bacon in scotch. Yes, really.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:12 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

You ought to have been around for Wine Mess. Not to mention the aftermath where we headed to Regents and cooked bacon in scotch. Yes, really.
I was around for Wine Mess! My roommate dragged me over for the brief introduction. IIRC, the only liquor that was left at the end of wine mess was vodka, so you didn't do too well;)

However, I went to Jimmy's afterwards, which is absolutely not as good as... cooking bacon in scotch, which may be the most amazing thing I have ever heard of.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:13 pm

doyleoil wrote: i agree - the issue is not their intelligence - the issue is whether their 3 years in law school aid (or inhibit) development of habits of mind/character that will foster not just success, but the kind of success that justifies the immediate impressions people have when they hear they graduated from [insert super-elite law school name here]
Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I have a contracts exam tomorrow and haven't really studied very much. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that my friends at other law schools gain all that much by having to be in hyper-competitive mode throughout the year...I mean, I have no problem with working a lot, but I also have no problem with chilling out when I'm allowed to. Does gunning really set you up for career success down the road? I'm just not sure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:34 pm

Snooker wrote:
Eh, I'm not sure I'm convinced of this either--I didn't think tinman was out of line, nor did I think he necessarily mischaracterized YLS. I do think though that there is a lot of hostility towards YLS students on this forum, and maybe justifiably so--like I said in a previous post, it would be absurd for me to pretend like I've had the typical 1L experience or know the first thing about pressure or dedication when it comes to succeeding in law school. But I don't think this is a big statement about me personally; I think that most TLSers in my position would probably be doing the same thing. At the same time, I do understand how any acting on my part like I know the first thing about the '1L experience' would probably justifiably be met with hostility.

Anywho, good luck with your grades everyone!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:37 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I was around for Wine Mess! My roommate dragged me over for the brief introduction. IIRC, the only liquor that was left at the end of wine mess was vodka, so you didn't do too well;)

However, I went to Jimmy's afterwards, which is absolutely not as good as... cooking bacon in scotch, which may be the most amazing thing I have ever heard of.
I did not notice you. Then again, I was pretty zoned out by the time the Mess ended.

Next Friday, we will cook bacon in scotch again. Consider yourself invited. :)

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:51 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:I was around for Wine Mess! My roommate dragged me over for the brief introduction. IIRC, the only liquor that was left at the end of wine mess was vodka, so you didn't do too well;)

I did not notice you. Then again, I was pretty zoned out by the time the Mess ended.

Story of my life :lol:

I'm going to the CSO this week, so I probably won't be able to partake in the scotch bacon--if this becomes a semi-regular thing though, you can absolutely count me in in the future!

How does it even occur to someone to cook bacon in scotch? I've seen odd/amazing things done with bacon, but this is a new one.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:55 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

Story of my life :lol:

I'm going to the CSO this week, so I probably won't be able to partake in the scotch bacon--if this becomes a semi-regular thing though, you can absolutely count me in in the future!

How does it even occur to someone to cook bacon in scotch? I've seen odd/amazing things done with bacon, but this is a new one.
I cannot take the credit for the idea and I confess to being somewhat incredulous at first, but it was FTW.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”