Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
apper123

Silver

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by apper123 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:56 am

Posting this here cause I dunno where else to post it.

Was talking to a student last night who is involved with and volunteering for the Career Services Office. The students kind of serve as liaisons between the office and student body.

He told me in recent meetings they have been encouraging them to research and educate the student population about jobs you can get with a JD outside of being a lawyer. They also asked them to start encouraging people to seek masters and LLM degrees after law school, rather than trying to enter the work force.

If that's not scary, I don't know what is.

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:14 pm

apper123 wrote:Posting this here cause I dunno where else to post it.

Was talking to a student last night who is involved with and volunteering for the Career Services Office. The students kind of serve as liaisons between the office and student body.

He told me in recent meetings they have been encouraging them to research and educate the student population about jobs you can get with a JD outside of being a lawyer. They also asked them to start encouraging people to seek masters and LLM degrees after law school, rather than trying to enter the work force.

If that's not scary, I don't know what is.
:shock:

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Worth noting that was second hand info from a student, but it is still a little unnerving. I think it's probably a bit of an overreaction IMO, and they are just trying to cover all their bases.

At least I hope so.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 pm

mallard wrote:Preparing for bad news by trying to decide what I might do were I to drop out.

Unanticipated negative side effect: no matter what my grades are, law school seems less interesting by comparison.
How bad could your grades possibly be to get you to drop out of HLS?

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:25 pm

betasteve wrote:
rayiner wrote:
mallard wrote:Preparing for bad news by trying to decide what I might do were I to drop out.

Unanticipated negative side effect: no matter what my grades are, law school seems less interesting by comparison.
How bad could your grades possibly be to get you to drop out of HLS?
zOMG LP?
mallard will not have a lp on his first semester transcript - i'd put a lot of money, and possibly an important body part or two, on that

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:30 pm

I finally have a grade for my LRW. I have no grades for any of my substantive classes.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:35 pm

betasteve wrote:Attention Thread: SMU grades have been released.
That is all. Feel free to PM if you are one of the few people that think I'd talk to you about grades, and I probably will.
Congrats on getting your grades. Hope they went well.

I'm still 0/4.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 pm

betasteve wrote:Attention Thread: SMU grades have been released.
That is all. Feel free to PM if you are one of the few people that think I'd talk to you about grades, and I probably will.
I am assuming you won, so, gj.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:46 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:27 pm

TTT-LS wrote:So am I right that HLS and UT are among the last two high-end schools to release grades? Just a point of curiosity...
Penn starts releasing on Monday. Allegedly.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 pm

TTT-LS wrote:So am I right that HLS and UT are among the last two high-end schools to release grades? Just a point of curiosity...
my section at CLS is still missing 2/3 grades. Professors who teach large sections have "6 weeks" to get grades back, but the deadline isn't enforced.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:53 pm

:roll: I'm not sure how bad someone's grades would need to be to justify something like that at HLS, assuming they don't just really hate studying the law.
Just for the record, YLS doesn't release grades until late March. I know that we don't get "grades" in the traditional sense, but eh, it's worth mentioning since I do have to explain why I won't have any grades available to potential employers.

charliec9

New

Post by charliec9 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Michigan's were due today, but aren't all released. Could take a max of two weeks from today, but it never takes quite that long. I'm still waiting on two classes, as are plenty of others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:02 pm

heyguys wrote: Just for the record, YLS doesn't release grades until late March. I know that we don't get "grades" in the traditional sense, but eh, it's worth mentioning since I do have to explain why I won't have any grades available to potential employers.
How many employers that you have interviewed with have even questioned this, heyguys?

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:13 am

mistergoft wrote:
heyguys wrote: Just for the record, YLS doesn't release grades until late March. I know that we don't get "grades" in the traditional sense, but eh, it's worth mentioning since I do have to explain why I won't have any grades available to potential employers.
How many employers that you have interviewed with have even questioned this, heyguys?
Just a couple, most of whom are state government employers.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:19 pm

I know Penn hasn't released grades yet either. Ours will be out in a clump in two days and I'm guessing there will still be several places (with real grades) that haven't released all of theirs at that point.

As for how bad my grades would have to be, I'm really not sure... but honestly, having put in a semester like I did, if it went badly it's going to result in a lot less effort, not more.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:22 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:27 pm

mallard wrote:I know Penn hasn't released grades yet either. Ours will be out in a clump in two days and I'm guessing there will still be several places (with real grades) that haven't released all of theirs at that point.

As for how bad my grades would have to be, I'm really not sure... but honestly, having put in a semester like I did, if it went badly it's going to result in a lot less effort, not more.
Yeah, Penn's are allegedly being released in a clump on Monday, but the school has made a big point of telling us that Professors may not have the grades in on Monday, and Penn won't do anything more than pester them to submit them. I've heard, for example, that one of my professors typically does not submit grades until mid-February. So I don't know how many grades we'll actually have by Monday.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Two of our grades rushed in last night just before closing time. The last one should come out on Monday

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:17 am

thesealocust wrote:
mallard wrote:I'm guessing there will still be several places (with real grades) that haven't released all of theirs at that point.
*mutter mutter mutter*
Still? WTF is UVA doing to you guys? 3/4 is probably worse than none.

I'm just glad it's over.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:25 am

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:42 am

thesealocust wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Still? WTF is UVA doing to you guys? 3/4 is probably worse than none.
Believe it or not, our grades were quite early this year. As of this time last year, only 10/24 1L grades were in. Right now ~22/27 are in.

The worst part of having one grade left (as I'm sure you can appreciate) is that all of the nervous energy gets focused on one class.
Yes. Absolutely yes. And in your case, it doesn't help that you calculated out every GPA you could possibly have after the receipt of that final grade. I plead the fifth on whether I ever used my own anemic math skills to do the same. In the end, things settled where they needed to go, but the ride here was a bumpy one to say the least.

I hope everyone else waiting has the peace of mind I lacked.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Still? WTF is UVA doing to you guys? 3/4 is probably worse than none.
Believe it or not, our grades were quite early this year. As of this time last year, only 10/24 1L grades were in. Right now ~22/27 are in.

The worst part of having one grade left (as I'm sure you can appreciate) is that all of the nervous energy gets focused on one class.
Yes. Absolutely yes. And in your case, it doesn't help that you calculated out every GPA you could possibly have after the receipt of that final grade. I plead the fifth on whether I ever used my own anemic math skills to do the same. In the end, things settled where they needed to go, but the ride here was a bumpy one to say the least.

I hope everyone else waiting has the peace of mind I lacked.
This is me.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:59 am

Still waiting for 2 grades...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:12 am

postitnotes wrote:Still waiting for 2 grades...
I kinda wish I was still waiting for my last grade. Mostly I miss believing there was no way I could do worse than median in it after the grades I'd already gotten. Ah, those were the days.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”