Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chadwick218

Silver

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:53 pm

I was told of a situation that occured at St. Louis University in the Spring of 2007 where 2 students were caught cheating on an exam. There were only 24 students enrolled in the class and since the professor provided in his syllabus that the class would be curved to a 3.0. In response, the professor failed the 2 cheaters and so as to either stick to his curve or further demoralize the cheaters, the grades for everyone else in the class were increased 1/3 of a letter grade (i.e. B to B+, A- to A). I know this information because one of the cheaters was an undergraduate roommate of mine!

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:53 pm

i dreamt last night, in a VERY vivid dream, that i got Ds in all my classes except civ pro, which i got a B in.. and my gpa was a 1.1 (not sure that is possible, but it was a dream after all..) then, my Lawyering prof. who is also the academic support advisor told me i had the fourth lowest gpa in our year.. (i can't imagine three people with lower gpas than that though..) i woke up on the verge of tears before i realized and was sooo grateful that it was all a dream.

im clearly going insane.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:09 pm

I actually had my first law school related dream. I dreamed that my memo was awarded the best memo in my LRW class, which totally shocked me because I never read any of the cases and put as little effort into the memo as possible. I didn't know whether to be happy, because I had the best memo, or sad, because I clearly could have spent even less time on the memo and still passed. I find it odd that I dreamed about a pass/fail class, considering its the graded classes that concern me.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:31 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I was told of a situation that occured at St. Louis University in the Spring of 2007 where 2 students were caught cheating on an exam. There were only 24 students enrolled in the class and since the professor provided in his syllabus that the class would be curved to a 3.0. In response, the professor failed the 2 cheaters and so as to either stick to his curve or further demoralize the cheaters, the grades for everyone else in the class were increased 1/3 of a letter grade (i.e. B to B+, A- to A). I know this information because one of the cheaters was an undergraduate roommate of mine!
what did they do?

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:43 pm

oh yay, I passed legal writing. what a fantastic surprise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:12 pm

Grades are in at Columbia for LPW (legal writing) and certain torts sections...

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:13 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Grades are in at Columbia for LPW (legal writing) and certain torts sections...
I'll be shocked if I get my torts grade before March.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:14 pm

superserial wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:Grades are in at Columbia for LPW (legal writing) and certain torts sections...
I'll be shocked if I get my torts grade before March.
That's how I feel about civpro

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:16 pm

What if you waited and waited until after everyone else in your class gets grades back except you... and so you keep waiting. Then you ask the professor about it. The professor says he'll look into it and call you back later. Ok. So you keep waiting. You go on TLS and freak out. You stare at the phone. Nothing.

THAT'S WHAT WAITING FOR MY LSAT IS EXACTLY LIKE EXCEPT PROFESSOR = LSAC LADY.

There are worse things. But I'd like to carry on with my day, not to mention my life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:17 pm

Grades are out at UVA!

Haha, just kidding. Still waiting 'til mid-March for Torts.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:42 pm

j2d3 wrote:What if you waited and waited until after everyone else in your class gets grades back except you... and so you keep waiting. Then you ask the professor about it. The professor says he'll look into it and call you back later. Ok. So you keep waiting. You go on TLS and freak out. You stare at the phone. Nothing.

There are worse things. But I'd like to carry on with my day, not to mention my life.
You're a fucking 0L? Posting in THIS thread? Of all the threads you could post in?

-.-

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:
j2d3 wrote:What if you waited and waited until after everyone else in your class gets grades back except you... and so you keep waiting. Then you ask the professor about it. The professor says he'll look into it and call you back later. Ok. So you keep waiting. You go on TLS and freak out. You stare at the phone. Nothing.

You're a fucking 0L? Posting in THIS thread? Of all the threads you could post in?

-.-
about how bad waiting for the LSAT is. lulz.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:

-.-
Srsly. This is like a healthy 25-year-old walking into a treatment center for terminally ill cancer patients and loudly exclaiming: "YEAH, I HAVE THIS CUT ON MY FINGER. IT'S KIND OF LIKE DYING OF CANCER SO I LIKE TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ALL ARE GOING THROUGH LOL."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:08 pm

CE2JD wrote:Srsly. This is like a healthy 25-year-old walking into a treatment center for terminally ill cancer patients and loudly exclaiming: "YEAH, I HAVE THIS CUT ON MY FINGER. IT'S KIND OF LIKE DYING OF CANCER SO I LIKE TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ALL ARE GOING THROUGH LOL."
TITCR.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Grades are out at UVA!

Haha, just kidding. Still waiting 'til mid-March for Torts.
::hires assassin::

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Srsly. This is like a healthy 25-year-old walking into a treatment center for terminally ill cancer patients and loudly exclaiming: "YEAH, I HAVE THIS CUT ON MY FINGER. IT'S KIND OF LIKE DYING OF CANCER SO I LIKE TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ALL ARE GOING THROUGH LOL."
TITCR.
Agreed. GTFO of the thread, 0Ls. Do yourselves a favor.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I think I've checked my grade report at least 5 times today, all in the idle hope that my writing grade will somehow be reported early. No such luck. gah.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Luckily ( I guess) they dont send out grades here until they are all done. Meaning for everyone, for every class. At least thats what I was told by someone in adminstration.
Which means probably wont get them til the end of january. I am not really worrying about it now. But I am sure I will be later on.

THe only thing that bothers me is how my parents ask me all the time when I think I will get my grades. considering as I am paying for school myself them adding to my anxiety is not cool.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:19 pm

underwhere759 wrote:Luckily ( I guess) they dont send out grades here until they are all done. Meaning for everyone, for every class. At least thats what I was told by someone in adminstration.
Which means probably wont get them til the end of january. I am not really worrying about it now. But I am sure I will be later on.

THe only thing that bothers me is how my parents ask me all the time when I think I will get my grades. considering as I am paying for school myself them adding to my anxiety is not cool.
mine ask me about law review (and I'm paying)... haaaaaaa. crazy Jewish parents.

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:56 pm

hahah. oh parents.

I finally yelled at them and said stop asking me, because if I dont like my grades im not going to tell you anyway

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:59 pm

i think i am going to wait until all the grades come out before checking..
no point getting depressed several times over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 pm

underwhere759 wrote:hahah. oh parents.

I finally yelled at them and said stop asking me, because if I dont like my grades im not going to tell you anyway
I'll tell them if they want to pay my rent... :P

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:11 am

panda wrote:i think i am going to wait until all the grades come out before checking..
no point getting depressed several times over.
I am in agreement. As grades are scheduled to be realeased before 1/14, I have planned a weekend trip to Las Vegas from 1/15 - 17 to either celebrate or killself in style!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:21 am

Do grades usually come back in before application deadlines?? I have a few job apps that are due, with transcripts, in early to mid January, and I don't think I'll have grades by then. Anyone know anything about this?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:28 am

IzziesGal wrote:Do grades usually come back in before application deadlines?? I have a few job apps that are due, with transcripts, in early to mid January, and I don't think I'll have grades by then. Anyone know anything about this?
If the employer doesn't specify, then you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) Go ahead and apply ASAP without your transcript. Just mention in your cover letter that you will send your transcript as soon as its available. Every lawyer out there has been a 1L and every lawyer knows that 1L's won't have Fall semester grades until late January or early February

2) Just ask them

FWIW - I would get out your applications as soon as you can while making sure that you have a very tight cover letter and resume.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”