Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dantimreynolds

New

Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by dantimreynolds » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:03 am

Took 7 months off of TLS, and I'm not really back, but I was just hoping for general agreement that this wait is so, so much worse than the LSAT wait....cuz you can't redo your first semester of Law School...

O, and Ya....Merry Xmas.

cardinal08

New

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Post by cardinal08 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:06 am

No, it's not. You can redo your first semester of law school, it's called your second semester of law school. It's like comparing your SAT to first semester grades . . . SAT much more important.

Merry Christmas to all!

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:10 am

I'm indifferent to this wait... I was indifferent to the LSAT wait... but I'm less neurotic than most people on here.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:12 am

Falling to pieces. At least with the LSAT you know you got some questions right. Here, you could legitimately have anything from an A to an F.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:13 am

Kohinoor wrote:Falling to pieces. At least with the LSAT you know you got some questions right. Here, you could legitimately have anything from an A to an F.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:13 am

I think the wait for 1L grades is worse.

The big thing for me is I knew for the LSAT that I'd score somewhere in roughly a 6 point range. For some classes this semster, I literally would not be surprised (and have no way of predicting) if I got an A or a B-.

cardinal08

New

Post by cardinal08 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:14 am

superserial wrote:I'm indifferent to this wait... I was indifferent to the LSAT wait... but I'm less neurotic than most people on here.
You've posted an average of 4x a day. If you're less neurotic than the rest of us, lord help us all.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:16 am

cardinal08 wrote:
superserial wrote:I'm indifferent to this wait... I was indifferent to the LSAT wait... but I'm less neurotic than most people on here.
You've posted an average of 4x a day. If you're less neurotic than the rest of us, lord help us all.
check out how many have been useful or me not just wasting time. I'm not sure how bored = neurotic.

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:17 am

Mallard, you are literally the only one I recognize from my TLS days of Nov 2008 till June 2009, where is everyone else????

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:18 am

what also makes it seem worse is grades just trickle in class by class, so the wait seems much more excruciating than the lsat where bam - your number just popped up on the screen.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:20 am

I am practicing pretending I got all B-'s and coping with it. I figure if I get good at it, my actual grades should be a pleasant surprise.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:20 am

Kohinoor wrote:Falling to pieces. At least with the LSAT you know you got some questions right. Here, you could legitimately have anything from an A to an F.
At least with the LSAT, you had thousands of others - some online (cough, TLS, cough) - discussing the test while "miraculously"/simultaneously trying to abide by LSAC's "no discussion" rule. Or was that the SAT? Or both? With finals, you just have your fellow section 1Ls - of which some were bitter cutthroats just three weeks before.

The wait stinks, but oh well...
atlantalaw wrote: what also makes it seem worse is grades just trickle in class by class, so the wait seems much more excruciating than the lsat where bam - your number just popped up on the screen.
Haha... imagine that. Each LSAT section trickling in at two day intervals. The Internets would break from all the complaining.

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:23 am

atlantalaw wrote: what also makes it seem worse is grades just trickle in class by class, so the wait seems much more excruciating than the lsat where bam - your number just popped up on the screen.
Haha... imagine that. Each LSAT section trickling in at two day intervals. The Internets would break from all the complaining.[/quote]

i imagine suicide rates would also increase steeply. especially if the lg section came first.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:26 am

This isn't as bad. I'm more curious than neurotic about it. I'm actually really curious to see how well I can appraise my performance because I have generally been pretty good at it in the past. I'm confident about one class, terrified of another, and assuming median in my third. LRW, who the hell knows.... :roll:

sf87

New

Post by sf87 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:30 am

Waiting for 1L grades = way worse.

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:32 am

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:This isn't as bad. I'm more curious than neurotic about it. I'm actually really curious to see how well I can appraise my performance because I have generally been pretty good at it in the past. I'm confident about one class, terrified of another, and assuming median in my third. LRW, who the hell knows.... :roll:
how can you even begin to guess how you did? it is based on a curve, so in order to have a good idea i would have to know how everyone else did...

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:33 am

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:This isn't as bad. I'm more curious than neurotic about it. I'm actually really curious to see how well I can appraise my performance because I have generally been pretty good at it in the past. I'm confident about one class, terrified of another, and assuming median in my third. LRW, who the hell knows.... :roll:
My one saving grace is that LRW grades were posted last week...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:36 am

Waiting for 1L grades is so much worse. At least you only had $120 or something riding on each administration of the LSAT.

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:02 am

atlantalaw wrote:
how can you even begin to guess how you did? it is based on a curve, so in order to have a good idea i would have to know how everyone else did...
Could very easily be totally wrong. Just personal feelings plus gossip...

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:52 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:56 am

TTT-LS wrote:A word of advice: when your grades do arrive, resist the urge to open them up right away. Go somewhere quiet, alone, take a few deep breaths, and then look at them. Whether you've done well, average, or poor, seeing your grades is just something that is better done away from crowds of others. Taking this approach will give you a few moments to reflect, and then if you still want to dance in the streets or seek the support of others, go right on ahead.

At NU, fall grades have come out both of the last two years during the 1:30-2:25 class time block. I remember noticing people opening their grades during class both times and thinking how uncomfortable it must have been for the people sitting directly behind them, and for the person viewing the grades themselves if the grades weren't good. There's just nothing positive that can come from viewing grades during class.
Sounds like prudent advice as usual, but does remind me of a funny story. In high school, I took a quantum class where our teacher would hand back exams in order of decreasing grade. There was something deliciously perverse about it, but I'm kind of glad none of my professors do this in LS...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:03 am

rayiner wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:A word of advice: when your grades do arrive, resist the urge to open them up right away. Go somewhere quiet, alone, take a few deep breaths, and then look at them. Whether you've done well, average, or poor, seeing your grades is just something that is better done away from crowds of others. Taking this approach will give you a few moments to reflect, and then if you still want to dance in the streets or seek the support of others, go right on ahead.

At NU, fall grades have come out both of the last two years during the 1:30-2:25 class time block. I remember noticing people opening their grades during class both times and thinking how uncomfortable it must have been for the people sitting directly behind them, and for the person viewing the grades themselves if the grades weren't good. There's just nothing positive that can come from viewing grades during class.
Sounds like prudent advice as usual, but does remind me of a funny story. In high school, I took a quantum class where our teacher would hand back exams in order of decreasing grade. There was something deliciously perverse about it, but I'm kind of glad none of my professors do this in LS...
I remember the teacher doing that :\ So wrong.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:04 am

At the same time, I don't want to be alone when I look.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:04 am

mallard wrote:
TITCR.

I think if I have the willpower, I want to wait until I have either all or most of my grades to look. The scenario where the first grade is well below median then weeks later the rest are above, or else the first is well above median but then rest below fills me with abject terror.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:05 am

thesealocust wrote:
mallard wrote:
TITCR.

I think if I have the willpower, I want to wait until I have either all or most of my grades to look. The scenario where the first grade is well below median then weeks later the rest are above, or else the first is well above median but then rest below fills me with abject terror.
Either of those scenarios will involve me writing an addendum for my drunk in public arrest as a 1L.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”