Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
dantimreynolds
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby dantimreynolds » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:03 am

Took 7 months off of TLS, and I'm not really back, but I was just hoping for general agreement that this wait is so, so much worse than the LSAT wait....cuz you can't redo your first semester of Law School...


O, and Ya....Merry Xmas.

User avatar
cardinal08
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby cardinal08 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:06 am

No, it's not. You can redo your first semester of law school, it's called your second semester of law school. It's like comparing your SAT to first semester grades . . . SAT much more important.

Merry Christmas to all!

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby superserial » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:10 am

I'm indifferent to this wait... I was indifferent to the LSAT wait... but I'm less neurotic than most people on here.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:12 am

Falling to pieces. At least with the LSAT you know you got some questions right. Here, you could legitimately have anything from an A to an F.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby mallard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:13 am

Kohinoor wrote:Falling to pieces. At least with the LSAT you know you got some questions right. Here, you could legitimately have anything from an A to an F.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:13 am

I think the wait for 1L grades is worse.

The big thing for me is I knew for the LSAT that I'd score somewhere in roughly a 6 point range. For some classes this semster, I literally would not be surprised (and have no way of predicting) if I got an A or a B-.

User avatar
cardinal08
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby cardinal08 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:14 am

superserial wrote:I'm indifferent to this wait... I was indifferent to the LSAT wait... but I'm less neurotic than most people on here.


You've posted an average of 4x a day. If you're less neurotic than the rest of us, lord help us all.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby superserial » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:16 am

cardinal08 wrote:
superserial wrote:I'm indifferent to this wait... I was indifferent to the LSAT wait... but I'm less neurotic than most people on here.


You've posted an average of 4x a day. If you're less neurotic than the rest of us, lord help us all.


check out how many have been useful or me not just wasting time. I'm not sure how bored = neurotic.

User avatar
dantimreynolds
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby dantimreynolds » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:17 am

Mallard, you are literally the only one I recognize from my TLS days of Nov 2008 till June 2009, where is everyone else????

User avatar
atlantalaw
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby atlantalaw » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:18 am

what also makes it seem worse is grades just trickle in class by class, so the wait seems much more excruciating than the lsat where bam - your number just popped up on the screen.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Aeroplane » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:20 am

I am practicing pretending I got all B-'s and coping with it. I figure if I get good at it, my actual grades should be a pleasant surprise.

ak362
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby ak362 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:20 am

Kohinoor wrote:Falling to pieces. At least with the LSAT you know you got some questions right. Here, you could legitimately have anything from an A to an F.


At least with the LSAT, you had thousands of others - some online (cough, TLS, cough) - discussing the test while "miraculously"/simultaneously trying to abide by LSAC's "no discussion" rule. Or was that the SAT? Or both? With finals, you just have your fellow section 1Ls - of which some were bitter cutthroats just three weeks before.

The wait stinks, but oh well...

atlantalaw wrote: what also makes it seem worse is grades just trickle in class by class, so the wait seems much more excruciating than the lsat where bam - your number just popped up on the screen.


Haha... imagine that. Each LSAT section trickling in at two day intervals. The Internets would break from all the complaining.

User avatar
atlantalaw
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby atlantalaw » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:23 am

atlantalaw wrote: what also makes it seem worse is grades just trickle in class by class, so the wait seems much more excruciating than the lsat where bam - your number just popped up on the screen.


Haha... imagine that. Each LSAT section trickling in at two day intervals. The Internets would break from all the complaining.[/quote]

i imagine suicide rates would also increase steeply. especially if the lg section came first.

User avatar
Brucewaynegretzky
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Brucewaynegretzky » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:26 am

This isn't as bad. I'm more curious than neurotic about it. I'm actually really curious to see how well I can appraise my performance because I have generally been pretty good at it in the past. I'm confident about one class, terrified of another, and assuming median in my third. LRW, who the hell knows.... :roll:

User avatar
sf87
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:25 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby sf87 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:30 am

Waiting for 1L grades = way worse.

User avatar
atlantalaw
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby atlantalaw » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:32 am

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:This isn't as bad. I'm more curious than neurotic about it. I'm actually really curious to see how well I can appraise my performance because I have generally been pretty good at it in the past. I'm confident about one class, terrified of another, and assuming median in my third. LRW, who the hell knows.... :roll:


how can you even begin to guess how you did? it is based on a curve, so in order to have a good idea i would have to know how everyone else did...

ak362
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby ak362 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:33 am

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:This isn't as bad. I'm more curious than neurotic about it. I'm actually really curious to see how well I can appraise my performance because I have generally been pretty good at it in the past. I'm confident about one class, terrified of another, and assuming median in my third. LRW, who the hell knows.... :roll:


My one saving grace is that LRW grades were posted last week...

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby rayiner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:36 am

Waiting for 1L grades is so much worse. At least you only had $120 or something riding on each administration of the LSAT.

User avatar
Brucewaynegretzky
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Brucewaynegretzky » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:02 am

atlantalaw wrote:
Brucewaynegretzky wrote:This isn't as bad. I'm more curious than neurotic about it. I'm actually really curious to see how well I can appraise my performance because I have generally been pretty good at it in the past. I'm confident about one class, terrified of another, and assuming median in my third. LRW, who the hell knows.... :roll:


how can you even begin to guess how you did? it is based on a curve, so in order to have a good idea i would have to know how everyone else did...


Could very easily be totally wrong. Just personal feelings plus gossip...

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby TTT-LS » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:52 am

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby rayiner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:56 am

TTT-LS wrote:A word of advice: when your grades do arrive, resist the urge to open them up right away. Go somewhere quiet, alone, take a few deep breaths, and then look at them. Whether you've done well, average, or poor, seeing your grades is just something that is better done away from crowds of others. Taking this approach will give you a few moments to reflect, and then if you still want to dance in the streets or seek the support of others, go right on ahead.

At NU, fall grades have come out both of the last two years during the 1:30-2:25 class time block. I remember noticing people opening their grades during class both times and thinking how uncomfortable it must have been for the people sitting directly behind them, and for the person viewing the grades themselves if the grades weren't good. There's just nothing positive that can come from viewing grades during class.


Sounds like prudent advice as usual, but does remind me of a funny story. In high school, I took a quantum class where our teacher would hand back exams in order of decreasing grade. There was something deliciously perverse about it, but I'm kind of glad none of my professors do this in LS...

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:03 am

rayiner wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:A word of advice: when your grades do arrive, resist the urge to open them up right away. Go somewhere quiet, alone, take a few deep breaths, and then look at them. Whether you've done well, average, or poor, seeing your grades is just something that is better done away from crowds of others. Taking this approach will give you a few moments to reflect, and then if you still want to dance in the streets or seek the support of others, go right on ahead.

At NU, fall grades have come out both of the last two years during the 1:30-2:25 class time block. I remember noticing people opening their grades during class both times and thinking how uncomfortable it must have been for the people sitting directly behind them, and for the person viewing the grades themselves if the grades weren't good. There's just nothing positive that can come from viewing grades during class.


Sounds like prudent advice as usual, but does remind me of a funny story. In high school, I took a quantum class where our teacher would hand back exams in order of decreasing grade. There was something deliciously perverse about it, but I'm kind of glad none of my professors do this in LS...

I remember the teacher doing that :\ So wrong.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby mallard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:04 am

At the same time, I don't want to be alone when I look.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:04 am

mallard wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Falling to pieces. At least with the LSAT you know you got some questions right. Here, you could legitimately have anything from an A to an F.


TITCR.

I think if I have the willpower, I want to wait until I have either all or most of my grades to look. The scenario where the first grade is well below median then weeks later the rest are above, or else the first is well above median but then rest below fills me with abject terror.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Waiting for 1L grades...so much worse than waiting for LSATs

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:05 am

thesealocust wrote:
mallard wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Falling to pieces. At least with the LSAT you know you got some questions right. Here, you could legitimately have anything from an A to an F.


TITCR.

I think if I have the willpower, I want to wait until I have either all or most of my grades to look. The scenario where the first grade is well below median then weeks later the rest are above, or else the first is well above median but then rest below fills me with abject terror.

Either of those scenarios will involve me writing an addendum for my drunk in public arrest as a 1L.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests