Anyone planning on dropping out if they get bad grades?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JazzOne

Re: Anyone planning on dropping out if they get bad grades?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Snooker wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
superserial wrote:
have as much fun as possible in your final semester of UG.

TITCR. Law school is exhausting, and everyone is so gung-ho about it: buy you won't do yourself any favors trying to learn it before starting it. One of the most devious parts of the experience is you just don't have the necessary background information to start preparing for exams without a solid couple of weeks of schooling under your belt. I thought GTM 'made sense' before law school, but when I read it again during the semester it was a whole new experience.

I know this is the majority opinion on TLS, but I disagree. I prepped quite a bit before 1L, and I feel like it helped a lot.

right, the law profs make it seem like you can only learn what negligence or proximate cause, or what a reasonable person is in law school. this is not true.

I agree. I was happy with my 0L prep because I learned the basic rules of law before law school. Then in my lectures, I was able to focus on learning to apply the rules and justify them with policy arguments.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:56 pm

I think my classes covered a lot more technical subjects, so there was a big pile of rules for me to learn, I didn't find it all in the books. There was also some divergence between what I'd read and the casebooks; i.e. where the cases were the same, I knew it totally cold before I even approached the case, but in other places the cases differed. Some cases have quite elaborate rules that are not given much more than a half-sentence from even the hornbooks.

superserial

Postby superserial » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:11 pm

I really think it's better to enjoy your last semester of freedom than to prep for law school. You will inevitably waste a ton of time learning irrelevant material if you prep as a 0L, and it's really not necessary.

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I go to a T4 on a full scholarship. If I lose my scholarship (below 3.0) I'm dropping out.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:03 pm

nahgems wrote:I go to a T4 on a full scholarship. If I lose my scholarship (below 3.0) I'm dropping out.

You know, I actually wouldn't blame you!

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:48 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
nahgems wrote:I go to a T4 on a full scholarship. If I lose my scholarship (below 3.0) I'm dropping out.

Meh. Grades posted today. I am not dropping out.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:54 pm

nahgems wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

even tho you got below a 3.0?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:57 pm

CE2JD wrote:even tho you got below a 3.0?

Man you're rosier/sun-shine-ier than usual today CE!

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:04 pm

CE2JD wrote:
nahgems wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

even tho you got below a 3.0?

I took it to mean he got above the 3.0 threshold.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Bankhead wrote:I took it to mean he got above the 3.0 threshold.

Despite the "meh?"

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:12 pm

CE2JD wrote:

Despite the "meh?"

I would saying something a lot worse than "meh" if I lost a full scholly.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Bankhead wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

Despite the "meh?"

I would saying something a lot worse than "meh" if I lost a full scholly.

True.

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Bankhead wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I took it to mean she got above the 3.0 threshold.

titcr

chuckwarr

Postby chuckwarr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Should I drop out?

I am at cardozo law (ranked #49). I need to be in the 33rd percentile or better to keep my scholarship. But I want a firm job, which I don't think I can realistically get unless I am 15th percentile or better at my school.

All of my grades are in except one. Realistically, I will have either:

1) 3.27 gpa, or 39th percentile
2) 3.39 gpa, or 27th percentile

Based on how my school distributes grades, next semester:

if #1, I need a 3.38 to keep my scholarship. I need a 3.68 to have a shot at a firm job.
if #2, I need a 3.31 to keep my scholarship. I need a 3.61 to have a shot a firm job.

If I dropped out I would be 10k in debt. I could probably land a job in advertising, though starting jobs in that industry don't pay much (~ 40k).

Should I drop out? What kinds of questions/information would you seek out to help you with this decision? I am very serious about dropping out.

Thank you.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:51 pm

chuckwarr wrote:Should I drop out?

I am at cardozo law (ranked #49). I need to be in the 33rd percentile or better to keep my scholarship. But I want a firm job, which I don't think I can realistically get unless I am 15th percentile or better at my school.

All of my grades are in except one. Realistically, I will have either:

1) 3.27 gpa, or 39th percentile
2) 3.39 gpa, or 27th percentile

Based on how my school distributes grades, next semester:

if #1, I need a 3.38 to keep my scholarship. I need a 3.68 to have a shot at a firm job.
if #2, I need a 3.31 to keep my scholarship. I need a 3.61 to have a shot a firm job.

If I dropped out I would be 10k in debt. I could probably land a job in advertising, though starting jobs in that industry don't pay much (~ 40k).

Should I drop out? What kinds of questions/information would you seek out to help you with this decision? I am very serious about dropping out.

Thank you.

Stay in the fight. You aren't exactly hemorrhaging money for this since you have the scholarship. If you DO wind up losing it, drop out no doubt, and if you wind up with scholly but no firm job, that's another conversation as well. But this performance is nowhere near killself / quit and don't admit to trying territory. Take the fight to them!

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Might want to check and see if you have to pay the scholarship back if you drop out. Also, do you want to practice law?

chuckwarr

Postby chuckwarr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:59 pm

I like law and think I would enjoy practicing it. But I don't have a burning passion for it. I just want to be successful.

Also, if I go back next semester, I will owe 20k at the end of the year as opposed to 10k now.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:42 am

chuckwarr wrote:If I dropped out I would be 10k in debt. I could probably land a job in advertising, though starting jobs in that industry don't pay much (~ 40k).

Thank you.

Advertising? Try 25k if you are lucky as an entry level. Some are as low as 14k-15k. Have fun with that one (and yes, I work in advertising).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:43 am

keg411 wrote:
chuckwarr wrote:If I dropped out I would be 10k in debt. I could probably land a job in advertising, though starting jobs in that industry don't pay much (~ 40k).

Thank you.

Advertising? Try 25k if you are lucky as an entry level. Some are as low as 14k-15k. Have fun with that one (and yes, I work in advertising).

Advertising jobs start at free. They're called internships, and you keep doing them until you meet someone who likes you enough to pay you. Years, possibly.

Nietzsche_Addy

Postby Nietzsche_Addy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Pretty bummed here. I officially have all my grades back as of this morning. I go to a lower TT with nearly a full scholarship.

A-
A+
A
C :oops: (not even a C+ !!!)

I got the first three grades late last week and early this week and I was really excited; thoughts of transferring dancing around in my head. Then I got the C this morning. I didn't think I did particularly well on that exam, but I didn't even entertain the idea of a C. Class ranks haven't come out yet, but I am sure the C is going to dominate me. Will the flat C kill any chance of transferring to a T14, regardless of how well I do next semester?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:Pretty bummed here. I officially have all my grades back as of this morning. I go to a lower TT with nearly a full scholarship.

A-
A+
A

I got the first three grades late last week and early this week and I was really excited; thoughts of transferring dancing around in my head. Then I got the C this morning. I didn't think I did particularly well on that exam, but I didn't even entertain the idea of a C. Class ranks haven't come out yet, but I am sure the C is going to dominate me. Will the flat C kill any chance of transferring to a T14, regardless of how well I do next semester?

My guess is yes. At most schools C's mean you did way way below the median. You might want to check what the problem was.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:Pretty bummed here. I officially have all my grades back as of this morning. I go to a lower TT with nearly a full scholarship.

A-
A+
A

Well, this pretty much anally ravages the whole "you either have 'it' or you don't" theory of some posters on this site.

wpc1532

Postby wpc1532 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:37 pm

A-
A+
A

How does an A+ factor into GPA calculations?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm

A-
A+
A

Depends on the curve at your school. Right now your GPA is a 3.5. That still might be in the top part of the class if your school curves to a B- or something, as many lower-ranked schools do.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 pm

rayiner wrote:

A-
A+
A

Depends on the curve at your school. Right now your GPA is a 3.5. That still might be in the top part of the class if your school curves to a B- or something, as many lower-ranked schools do.

At any school other than NU, that's at least top 25%. Nietzsche_Addy: You clearly know how to take law school exams. If you really want to transfer, just make sure you don't get a C next semester and you'll probably be golden. The C itself isn't talismanic or prospect-killing beyond its impact on your overall GPA. And as Rayiner said, if your school's median GPA is a 3 or lower, you are probably already in the tippy-top of the class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”