Anyone planning on dropping out if they get bad grades? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mallard

Silver

Re: Anyone planning on dropping out if they get bad grades?

Post by mallard » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:09 pm

I think they did that at Harvard, but I was probably in my library or my room.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:29 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
betasteve wrote:I find it ridiculous (in the sad sense) that anyone would take their own lives for any reason, let alone over something as truly insignificant as how you do in law school.
Betasteve, I agree with you here ... nevertheless, as with most suicides, as insignificant as the reasons may appear to outsiders, the reasons (even if it be poor performance in law school) are terribly significant to the actor. The final decision is typically a culmination of many other events that occured in one's life and the final reason (as insignificant as it may be) is what ultimately drives the person to the choice that they may. With that said, the Michigan story is tragic! I can't speak for others schools, but so far, I have been unimpressed with the services / counseling available to law students dealing with such significant stress and anxiety.
I don't think it's really fair to say that was the case for Casey. He had a lot of people working to help him with his struggles, within the law school/university and outside it. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:25 am

I've been saying all along I'll drop out if I finish below median... but I also have known all along I'm lying and would never.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:05 am

betasteve wrote:I find it ridiculous (in the sad sense) that anyone would take their own lives for any reason, let alone over something as truly insignificant as how you do in law school.
Really? How come? I feel like there are a lot of situations where suicide makes a lot of sense.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:17 am

biggamejames wrote:
Really? How come? I feel like there are a lot of situations where suicide makes a lot of sense.
Name 3!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:30 am

Kohinoor wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Name 3!
1) To avoid severe chronic pain
2) To avoid a slow death from disease
3) When your family just died in a car wreck

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:34 am

betasteve wrote: 2 only makes any sense if it is actually (1). 3 is just being weak. Thus, you've only given one reason.
QED MOTHERFUCKER! Burn!

[I have no idea why that looked like such a smack down to me. It's probably the fact that I just ate most of a chocolate orange and it's gone to my head @.@]

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 am

Dropping out isn't an option. I know how to recover from hitting rock-bottom.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:00 am

betasteve wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
biggamejames wrote: Really? How come? I feel like there are a lot of situations where suicide makes a lot of sense.
Name 3!
1) To avoid severe chronic pain
2) To avoid a slow death from disease
3) When your family just died in a car wreck
2 only makes any sense if it is actually (1). 3 is just being weak. Thus, you've only given one reason.
I think suicide to avoid a slow death from disease makes sense even in the absence of pain. I mean, I can see an argument for just getting it over with rather than constantly seeing your family's faces while they watch you die for a year and a half. Also, "being weak" is part of the human condition, insofar as you seem to be using "being weak" to mean "preferring take a course of action that is easier and less painful than another." I do that every day, and so you do and so does everyone else.

Finally, the fact that you accept even one of these reasons still speaks to
betasteve wrote:I find it ridiculous (in the sad sense) that anyone would take their own lives for any reason
which was my point in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:01 pm

I'm so damn streaky in MW2.

I seriously start most matches like 0-4, 5, or 6. And then I start doing well. I had a game the other night where I was 0-6, and finished the game 19-6.

Occasionally though, I'll have like 24-3 games. Or 4-16 games.

4-16 games are another time when suicide is worth it.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I'll consider transferring if I'm sub-3.0 - so much of that depends on Contracts. :evil:
we're curved at a B+ dooder. You've have to perform substantially below curve in every class to go below 3.0
My worst case scenario looks like:

Contracts: C+
Criminal Law: B+
Torts: B-
Civil Procedure: B+

That comes out to under 3.0 :|

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:46 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:My worst case scenario looks like:

My section's professors gave fewer C+s than A+s, I really don't think you bombed contracts (if you bombed it at all) that hard.

That being said, what makes you certain median in two classes is the worst case scenario? Your predictions seem like a hilarious mixture of irrational despair and uninformed confidence :lol:

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:55 pm

i am glad someone brought up mw2. retarded storyline?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:03 pm

If my grades suck, I might stay for an extra year and get a JD/MSW. I want a legal education for it's own sake. If no one will hire me, there are other things I can do, and a JD is way more flexible than a BS in fashion merchandising.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:14 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I'll consider transferring if I'm sub-3.0 - so much of that depends on Contracts. :evil:
we're curved at a B+ dooder. You've have to perform substantially below curve in every class to go below 3.0

You think you wrote THE worst exam in contracts? I'm pretty sure that mentioning consideration lifts you out of the C range.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

You think you wrote THE worst exam in contracts? I'm pretty sure that mentioning consideration lifts you out of the C range.
I agree ... as pessimistic as I am about grades, I think that knowing what you missed lifts you out of the C-range at a T14 (i.e. you have to know the material well enough to know where your own personal shortcomings my fall with respect to each exam). My worst case scenario looks to be a 3.3 ... thank god that our CLR classes are graded though as this class is likely to come to my rescue this semester!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:32 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:If my grades suck, I might stay for an extra year and get a JD/MSW. I want a legal education for it's own sake. If no one will hire me, there are other things I can do, and a JD is way more flexible than a BS in fashion merchandising.
If my grades suck, I'll pursue a joint JD/LLM in Taxation offered over 6/7 semesters!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:36 pm

C's are optional at our school, and my professors said they'd only given then if people completely phoned things in, so my worst case scenario is still better than my UG GPA. :lol:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:40 pm

rayiner wrote:C's are optional at our school, and my professors said they'd only given then if people completely phoned things in, so my worst case scenario is still better than my UG GPA. :lol:
Yeah, I was shown a grade distribution per class from the fall of 2008, and only 1 1L doctrinal professor gave C's ... A B- is about as low as you can go! Also, our curve ends up being closer to a 3.4!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:43 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:If my grades suck, I might stay for an extra year and get a JD/MSW. I want a legal education for it's own sake. If no one will hire me, there are other things I can do, and a JD is way more flexible than a BS in fashion merchandising.
If my grades suck, I'll pursue a joint JD/LLM in Taxation offered over 6/7 semesters!
Wow, that's pretty quick for an LLM. A joint degree you can get in three years might be worth doing, if it's not ridiculously expensive.

The only thing holding me back is the debt. I'll pass the quarter of a million mark if I do it. That just seems like a gigantic number, though it won't make a practical difference, thanks to IBR.

<3 Rayiner. Don't you already have a 4.0?

If I hit my UG GPA (the degree GPA, not as ruined by LSAC), I'll be within the top 10%. I miss grade inflation. Who the hell curves to 3.16?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:06 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
rayiner wrote:C's are optional at our school, and my professors said they'd only given then if people completely phoned things in, so my worst case scenario is still better than my UG GPA. :lol:
Yeah, I was shown a grade distribution per class from the fall of 2008, and only 1 1L doctrinal professor gave C's ... A B- is about as low as you can go! Also, our curve ends up being closer to a 3.4!
Seems like most of the profs I looked at give around 6% C's which can be anywhere from 2 to 6 people per class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Lucky! Some of my professors gave out D+s second semester. I'd sure like to know what those people did to get that grade.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:51 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Seems like most of the profs I looked at give around 6% C's which can be anywhere from 2 to 6 people per class.
At NU? The list that I have seen shows that on rare occasion, a prof may give C+, but the data that I have suggests that most profs are generous giving the minimum number of B's and B-'s and are not required to given any C's whatsoever.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm

Don Keyhoetee wrote:Since I'm only at Cornell, if I don't get at least a 3.6, I'm dropping out since that'll rape my chances of transferring to a T10
youre a 1L at cornell?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:05 pm

panda wrote:
Don Keyhoetee wrote:Since I'm only at Cornell, if I don't get at least a 3.6, I'm dropping out since that'll rape my chances of transferring to a T10
youre a 1L at cornell?
Agreed! This is crazy talk! Although just outside of the T10, Cornell nevertheless places very well! I am not sure that such a transfer would make sense unless you are transfer up to T6 and even then I would argue T3!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”