Low LSAT, good resume & desire to go south for law school Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Jmon55

New

Low LSAT, good resume & desire to go south for law school

Post by Jmon55 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:14 am

I'm looking for some guidance regarding my current situation.

I am looking to go to law school in the south: Ole Miss, UGA, Texas A&M, U of Richmond, USC, FSU. My LSAT is low, I took it twice and my highest is 143. I have an undergraduate GPA of a 3.2 and my bachelor degrees were in accounting as well as finance. Currently I work in public accounting for an international firm and am working on my CPA and am a licensed real estate agent. I want to practice real estate law. I'm having trouble with obvious reasons due to my low LSAT score.

What is my best plan/chance if I don't take my LSATs again in regards to gaining admittance to one of those schools. Should I go somewhere for a year and transfer? Any suggestions help. How can I really need up my file to make up for the lsat score.

Thank you!

Clearly

Gold

Re: Low LSAT, good resume & desire to go south for law school

Post by Clearly » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 am

It doesn't matter. You are only going to hear to retake, because its genuinely what you need to do. Take it very seriously.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:30 am

Any law school that will accept you with a 3.2 and 143 will put you in far worse of a position than you are now.

PodPeople

New

Post by PodPeople » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Mullens wrote:Any law school that will accept you with a 3.2 and 143 will put you in far worse of a position than you are now.
Just to balance out the opinions on here...I do know someone with those numbers who went to a very low ranked school. She has a job and is happy with both the job and her income.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Jmon55 wrote:I'm looking for some guidance regarding my current situation.

I am looking to go to law school in the south: Ole Miss, UGA, Texas A&M, U of Richmond, USC, FSU. My LSAT is low, I took it twice and my highest is 143. I have an undergraduate GPA of a 3.2 and my bachelor degrees were in accounting as well as finance. Currently I work in public accounting for an international firm and am working on my CPA and am a licensed real estate agent. I want to practice real estate law. I'm having trouble with obvious reasons due to my low LSAT score.

What is my best plan/chance if I don't take my LSATs again in regards to gaining admittance to one of those schools. Should I go somewhere for a year and transfer? Any suggestions help. How can I really need up my file to make up for the lsat score.

Thank you!
That you are mentioning USC shows your knowledge of the application process. USC is not a remote option given your numbers. Retake. Retake. Retake. I hate being absolute, but don't ruin your life by doing something crazy like deciding to go to Texas A&M (Wesleyan) in the fall.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:40 pm

OP,

The fact is, we'd be directing you to retake even with a somewhat higher LSAT; at this point, there are going to be very, very few schools available to you; Basil is 100% correct that doing something awful like attending A&M Wesleyan would be a bad move -- but even that poor option would require you to have another 7 points on your LSAT.

The good news is this: with real effort, a solid plan, and perhaps a strong test prep course depending upon your ability to keep yourself motivated (if you are the kind of person willing and able to really commit to the work, the TestMasters course is really wonderful), it IS possible to see real improvement here; the LSAT is a skills-based test, and the skills are learnable. Without a considerably stronger LSAT, though, you just aren't going to find yourself with any options worth taking.

Please take all of these comments seriously; by all means pursue your goal of a legal education! In doing so, treat this pre-application process --that is to say, re-studying for the LSAT, as well as educating yourself on the legal market and which schools stand a reasonable chance of getting you a place in it -- as your current full-time legal job. It's the only wise move, friend, and it's the one decision you are unlikely to regret down the road.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”