To LLM or Not? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
UndecidedMN

Bronze

To LLM or Not?

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 11, 2014 6:49 pm

I am a graduating 3L. I am primarily interested in tax litigation. I did not apply to the federal honors program. I should graduate top 3rd, Magna Cum laude from Minnesota. I have the opportunity to apply for a tuition free Tax LLM and believe I am an extremely strong candidate to get it. However it is not from one of the Top 3-4 LLM (NYU, Georgetown, Florida Northwestern) programs. I do not have a job currently.

Can anyone tell me if getting a Tax LLM helped them to get a job? If I go for the LLM, I can apply for federal honors with the DOJ for tax. Also, IRS jobs look for either 1 year post JD experience or an LLM.

I have a family with kids so this will be even a greater burden than getting a law degree. Do you think getting an LLM is worth it to get a job in government or private sector job?

Thanks

Johann

Diamond

Re: To LLM or Not?

Post by Johann » Sun May 11, 2014 7:02 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:I am a graduating 3L. I am primarily interested in tax litigation. I did not apply to the federal honors program. I should graduate top 3rd, Magna Cum laude from Minnesota. I have the opportunity to apply for a tuition free Tax LLM and believe I am an extremely strong candidate to get it. However it is not from one of the Top 3-4 LLM (NYU, Georgetown, Florida Northwestern) programs. I do not have a job currently.

Can anyone tell me if getting a Tax LLM helped them to get a job? If I go for the LLM, I can apply for federal honors with the DOJ for tax. Also, IRS jobs look for either 1 year post JD experience or an LLM.

I have a family with kids so this will be even a greater burden than getting a law degree. Do you think getting an LLM is worth it to get a job in government or private sector job?

Thanks
NYU tax llm worked out very nicely for almost everyone in my class. I can't really speak to programs other than NYU, but I would only go to NYU, unless I had a job lined up or did a combo JD/LLM. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”