ITT: Cold Feet Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
delusional

Silver

ITT: Cold Feet

Post by delusional » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Good school, good scholarship. Used up most of savings applying, visiting, deciding, and moving. I'm allowed to borrow about $60,000 a year, and that is all I (family of four) will have to live on. All my stuff is in a new place, awaiting my arrival, and we're in limbo; squeezing a few more weeks of wages and insurance out of our jobs.

What the hell was I thinking?

Do you, too, have cold feet? Bring them here for others to warm, while you, in turn, assuage the fears of others.

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Re: ITT: Cold Feet

Post by crysmissmichelle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:05 pm

I too struggle with cold feet :( Oddly, health insurance is my major woe too. I am happy with my school, my scholarship. . . but keeping a part-time job is going to be a killer and with a 2-year old. . .I cannot, in good conscience, NOT carry health insurance.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:11 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:I too struggle with cold feet :( Oddly, health insurance is my major woe too. I am happy with my school, my scholarship. . . but keeping a part-time job is going to be a killer and with a 2-year old. . .I cannot, in good conscience, NOT carry health insurance.
If you're not working, wouldn't you be eligible for some kind of government health care? Also, I think I found that health insurance on student plans is relatively cheap - although I'm switching states, so maybe that's it.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:34 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:I too struggle with cold feet :( Oddly, health insurance is my major woe too. I am happy with my school, my scholarship. . . but keeping a part-time job is going to be a killer and with a 2-year old. . .I cannot, in good conscience, NOT carry health insurance.
Medicaid?

My state has a website where you can check your eligibility. Maybe yours does too.

Also I have occasionally cold feet... but it is too late to back out now.

Also also... the last two times I had cold feet it worked out AWESOME. Hopefully the third time will too!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:46 pm

firemed wrote:
Medicaid?

My state has a website where you can check your eligibility. Maybe yours does too.

Also also... the last two times I had cold feet it worked out AWESOME. Hopefully the third time will too!
Feel free to elaborate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm

delusional wrote:
firemed wrote:
Medicaid?

Feel free to elaborate
I got cold feet about getting married- yet marrying her is the best thing I ever did.

I got cold feet about joining the fire department- yet it turned out to be a great job, with great benefits that helped me finish my degree. It also helped boost my self confidence.

Hopefully my cold feet about law school will work out the same way.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Yeah, I am a little freaked out. But I turned in my letter of resignation at work and they are searching for someone else, I rented out my place, I signed a lease for the new place, and I already shipped my car, so it is too late now.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:01 pm

firemed wrote:
delusional wrote:
firemed wrote:
Medicaid?

Feel free to elaborate
I got cold feet about getting married- yet marrying her is the best thing I ever did.

I got cold feet about joining the fire department- yet it turned out to be a great job, with great benefits that helped me finish my degree. It also helped boost my self confidence.

Hopefully my cold feet about law school will work out the same way.
Good luck! With me, it's the opposite - I was pretty confident in most of the life decisions I've made thus far, (maybe because none of them were that monumental) but this one is by far the biggest, and it's waaaaay out of my comfort zone. But the scariest thing was all the ancillary stuff, and a good amount of it is out of the way.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:41 am

Last edited by ElvisAaron on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:28 am

I got my class schedule yesterday and it made things WAY more real than they have been up to this point. It's giving me a major case of cold feet. I'm just so afraid to let my friends and family down. I've convinced myself that I'm not going to downright fail out, but now my biggest worry is that I'll be below the median and won't be able to find a job. I just know how bad I've wanted this for so long and how hard I'm willing to work for it, I don't want it to all be for nothing.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:42 am

Yeah, and this economy is not helping.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Dude, yes. So glad someone started this thread. I've actually been feeling cold feet all summer, and have been kind of ashamed to say so to anyone. I'm going to a T14 with an okay (definitely helpful) scholarship, at a school where I feel really comfortable, with a low cost of living, and a lot of other neat stuff. Plus, I have wanted to go to law school for years. And yet I keep second guessing it. For those who have families, you're in a whole other world of decision-making and I do recognize that it must be even worse for y'all.

The only thing that's making me feel better is reminding myself that I always second-guess big decisions... even small decisions actually. And this is probably the biggest decision of my life this far, or one of them. Plus, every day people come up to me and eagerly ask if I've read the latest article about how law school is the stupidest decision, the biggest scam, the worst mistake (I bet that happens to a lot of you too). So it was be hard, and maybe stupid, to still feel totally good about it. But I've definitely had my moments of doing things that people thought were stupid but that turned out good. Signing up for a drawing class in a semester when I needed all As - my mom thought I was crazy to do that because I suck at that stuff. (But I did really well and got a lot better.) Quitting my job in the middle of a recession to drive around the country by myself for the summer (I ended up finding a good job about two months after I got back.)

It's probably the rare bird that goes into this decision 100% confident that it's the right thing. Just hearing that I'm not the only one with this fear is making it a lot better. Thanks delusional.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 pm

I've had a couple "oh shit" moments, but I'm moved in to my new apartment, in the new city, and Orientation starts in a week. So....the backing out ship has sailed. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Dude, yes. So glad someone started this thread. I've actually been feeling cold feet all summer, and have been kind of ashamed to say so to anyone. I'm going to a T14 with an okay (definitely helpful) scholarship, at a school where I feel really comfortable, with a low cost of living, and a lot of other neat stuff.

Try having cold feet and knowing you are going to a T2. :oops:

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 am

Without the people that are banking on you (kids, perhaps spouse), you all should not be worried about anyone but YOURSELF. Don't worry about "letting friends down". Your friends just want you to be happy, and keep your personality.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:01 am

AffordablePrep wrote:Without the people that are banking on you (kids, perhaps spouse), you all should not be worried about anyone but YOURSELF. Don't worry about "letting friends down". Your friends just want you to be happy, and keep your personality.
I have both.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:52 pm

firemed wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:Without the people that are banking on you (kids, perhaps spouse), you all should not be worried about anyone but YOURSELF. Don't worry about "letting friends down". Your friends just want you to be happy, and keep your personality.
I have both.
Well, a lot of pressure is what people put on themselves.

A lot of women (assuming you're men from the name), and about every child does not need fancy things to be happy, just the necessities. A little kid who can play catch with his daddy every night, but does not own a playstation will likely be happier than a kid with every video game whose dad is never home.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:57 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
firemed wrote:
I have both.

A lot of women (assuming you're men from the name), and about every child does not need fancy things to be happy, just the necessities. A little kid who can play catch with his daddy every night, but does not own a playstation will likely be happier than a kid with every video game whose dad is never home.
That's a classic myth about women and kids.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm

I wouldn't go to law school with the economy on the verge of double dip. You'd be the class most fucked if a collapse happens in a few months.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I wouldn't go to law school with the economy on the verge of double dip. You'd be the class most fucked if a collapse happens in a few months.
Ballsy statement from someone who will be doing OCI "in a few months"

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I wouldn't go to law school with the economy on the verge of double dip. You'd be the class most fucked if a collapse happens in a few months.
ITT: Comments like this scare people from having "cold feet" to having "wet pants".

A little heavy-handed considering the nature of this thread, don't ya think?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:24 pm

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Dude, with all due respect, shut up.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Market was up, what, 4% today? Another week like this and we're golden. Pity it's too late for firms to adjust the recruiting goals for this year. But when we're interviewing next year? Median at Fordham to Cravath, and Cravath to $190k.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:37 pm

delusional wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:
firemed wrote:
I have both.

That's a classic myth about women and kids.
+1000

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”