Is this weird/ inappropriate?

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
glitter178

Is this weird/ inappropriate?

Postby glitter178 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Posting this in here bc I'm not officially a 1L yet....
I work for a small company that's growing rapidly. As a result, I've been given a number of tasks that I probably wouldn't have gotten in a more established company. One is working with a few lawyers from a law firm helping coordinate paperwork and whatnot for a deal they are doing with my company. As a result, I have sent numerous emails and have spoken many times on the phone with these lawyers. One is a graduate of the school I'll been attending. Would it be appropriate to ahoot him an email telling him that I'll be attending the same school (hint, hint) or would that seem weird?

lawgod

Re: Is this weird/ inappropriate?

Postby lawgod » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:44 pm

I like it.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Is your company still working with the law firm? Maybe it doesn't matter, but it would be less awkward for me to contact him if your company wasn't anymore. And no, it's not weird or inappropriate. Just send him a short email saying what your tie to him is and you will be attending law school in the fall @ xxx law school. Ask if you could buy him lunch and talk about his experience there, and see if he has any advice for a soon-to-be first year.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:54 pm

My company will probably be working with them for a long time. I have gotten the go-ahead from the president of the company to talk to him about it. Thanks for the idea about asking him about his experience at the school... Seems like a good way to approach the situation.

lawscholar20

Postby lawscholar20 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:13 pm

glitter178 wrote:Posting this in here bc I'm not officially a 1L yet....
I work for a small company that's growing rapidly. As a result, I've been given a number of tasks that I probably wouldn't have gotten in a more established company. One is working with a few lawyers from a law firm helping coordinate paperwork and whatnot for a deal they are doing with my company. As a result, I have sent numerous emails and have spoken many times on the phone with these lawyers. One is a graduate of the school I'll been attending. Would it be appropriate to ahoot him an email telling him that I'll be attending the same school (hint, hint) or would that seem weird?

I dint get the hint?!

What exactly do you want from the guy ?

Postby 071816 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:42 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:I dint get the hint?!

Sex. Isn't it obvious?

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:19 pm

T
Last edited by glitter178 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:36 pm

chimp wrote:
lawscholar20 wrote:I dint get the hint?!

Sex. Isn't it obvious?

Lulz

IronHBM

Postby IronHBM » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Is your company still working with the law firm? Maybe it doesn't matter, but it would be less awkward for me to contact him if your company wasn't anymore. And no, it's not weird or inappropriate. Just send him a short email saying what your tie to him is and you will be attending law school in the fall @ xxx law school. Ask if you could buy him lunch and talk about his experience there, and see if he has any advice for a soon-to-be first year.

The quoted post's suggestion seems reasonable, but if you just email him and go "btw I'm attending your former law school ;)". I'd feel awkward.

boiler cat

Postby boiler cat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:28 am

I would probably opt for a phone conversation rather than an email but email is OK too.

If email, you can bring it straight up but if a via telephone transition into it after you've already covered what the call was initially intended to address.

Then simply tell him that you're going to LS and would appreciate any tips for success or advice to watch out for at X law school. He'd probably be happy to give you some insight and then you've planted the seed and now have an internal contact for a possible future SA position.

At some point during your 1st semester, give a short update thanking him for the tip/advice he gave and tell him how it helped you.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”