Riding the Waitlists

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
samaside

Riding the Waitlists

Postby samaside » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:42 pm

All right, so, I know there are a lot of people who seem to be riding their waitlists through the summer. My question is how do you do that? I'm pretty much panicking trying to find a place to live and get things together for the school I'll be attending if I don't make it through the couple waitlists I'm staying on. How long do your really wait for a school before you sign a lease some place and start making big plans? I want to keep riding these waitlists but I'm also terrified of not having a place to live when the time comes.

dtl

Re: Riding the Waitlists

Postby dtl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:30 pm

I made a deal with a small motel in San Diego for 35 a night (with explaining to them that I will be there an extended period) so that if UC Irvine gives me a call I can quickly up anchor and head north.

I think I might be a bit of an extreme case but the idea of signing a lease and then getting the phone call would give me nightmares otherwise. Seems that with the rental market the way it is finding a place will not be *too* bad as long as you are not going the room mate route.

samaside

Re: Riding the Waitlists

Postby samaside » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:41 am

Yeah, that's pretty much my problem. I want to know where I am living in the fall but at the same time I don't want to get a place, get settled, and then get a call. The only other time I've ever lived in off-campus housing was when I was living in Ireland. And my landlord there was the most easy-going and totally negligent landlord in the world so there was never any pressure like there is this time around.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”