Best Law School advice ever.

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Grizz

Re: Best Law School advice ever.

Postby Grizz » Thu May 19, 2011 2:40 pm

akili wrote:What you do 1L lasts foreverrrrrr (but only if you are a girl, apparently)

Don't worry, here at Vandy, no one cares. Seriously.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 pm

I for one always get along better with female bosses, so maybe I should sleep around 1L and hope they remember me fondly?

(Although, my wife may slut-shame me if I do that. Hmm.)

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:43 pm

rad law wrote:
akili wrote:What you do 1L lasts foreverrrrrr (but only if you are a girl, apparently)

+1.
I only visited for asw, but goddamn it was fun

akili

Postby akili » Thu May 19, 2011 2:44 pm

clone22 wrote:
rad law wrote:

+1.

Thank God.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 19, 2011 2:44 pm

mcweanis wrote:maybe if you sleep with enough guys in your section, they will remember you fondly and want to hire you later on, thus canceling out the female slut shamers. plus you get to have sex.

So very true. Stop hating your vagina, ladies.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:46 pm

bjsesq wrote:
mcweanis wrote:maybe if you sleep with enough guys in your section, they will remember you fondly and want to hire you later on, thus canceling out the female slut shamers. plus you get to have sex.

All ladies who will be 1Ls at cornell this year, listen to this man.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Thu May 19, 2011 2:50 pm

rad law wrote:
mcweanis wrote:men are so disgusting to women, it's hilarious

I dare you to sue me for slut-shaming.

http://jezebel.com/5187232/sexting-teens-file-lawsuit-against-district-attorney-for-slut%20shaming-them

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Thu May 19, 2011 3:08 pm

clone22 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

All ladies who will be 1Ls at cornell this year, listen to this man.

This is just how frustration lets out when you don't have sex. People who don't have sex always hate on those that do, regardless of gender.

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm

but I studied constantly and ended up placing high in my class.

Ignore the other law students b/c they LIE LIE LIE

KRob87

Postby KRob87 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Haha, I liked the "slut shaming" comments. Not quuuuite where I was going with that. I should have explained a little better. However, first please notice, I did not use the word "slut." A bunch of you guys did tho... Second of all, yeah it sucks, I don't think that it's right, but its reality. I was speaking to the male reaction to girls that I know. And my comment that I would remember is legitimate. I don't know that it would effect any sort of decision, but even if it doesn't... is that really one of the first thing you would want coming to mind when I remembered your name? It's a small world and law school is a very small community.

I did not say you will be fine flippantly. It was more of an "you will be fine IF you do..." Yeah, fine is relative, but a couple of responses sort of proved my point: Don't be crazy about it. Whoever responded in that way (this only applies if they aren't in law school yet) is exactly the type of person to ignore...

One of the first things you will notice about class is the abundance of students who "know all the answers." Don't let them intimidate you (they will at first). Also, don't let anyone's actions/appears of "knowing everything" change your personal study habits. You'll hear this alot: "Oh I did 10 horus of work last night." "yeah well, I did 15." Bullshit, they both did 3 and were on gchat half the time.

And to the comment about "maybe the anxiety attack made you do well". haha no. I did well b/c I had a plan that I stuck to. That's all there is too it. The anxiety was unnecessary--I don't think there's any possible argument that being kept awake at night nervous, or losing sleep b/c you are flustered over something school related has any beneficial impact on your grades...

Law school is nothing more than a very particular format. Once you learn it, you just repeat, repeat, repeat. I notice that my classmates over look this. For example, your professors will post practice exams and answers. The answer is what is important. If you can figure out how each professor's writing style (not too technically don't attack me) and how they organize their information in an answer, you are golden. Quite simply, if a professor gives you an answer, they are showing you what they like. Yeah, you can come up with some other style ("do what works for you") that could prob work nicely, but why the hell go through the effort. The tests are highly subjective--Just figure out how to mimic what you are given.

Whoever said this: "Sure, there are students who put in less effort, feel relatively stress-free, and still do fine. For most, it would be unwise to bank on being one of them." Way off. Didn't say less effort. I put in about 60 hours a week. I said pick a schedule, brief your cases, etc etc. trust me, not too many of your classmates will do the same, but naturally will tell you very loudly "oh woah woah, 60? please. I put in 80." Bullshit. Thus, in conclusion, again: ignore the other law students.

this is solid advice from a hard working student that has performed well. I am by no means the smartest person in my class. I can name plenty of people who went to substantially better colleges than me. However, I have an excellent system that placed me about the vast majority of those students. I'm worth listening to, but hey, I couldn't convince my classmates to check out the outline bank either... so maybe it's some sort of common trait... I mean You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

tRock Chalk described the "general hatred toward law school" as something that I "misunderstand"... Listen bro, I get it. I hate working 60 hours a week, I hate my debt, I HATE all law school extra curricular activities that I'm now forced to join b/c god forbid I don't accumulate as many silly status symbols as I can. If law school exam "writing doesn't come easy to you", figure it out, once again, it's a format. Orrrr as I previously mentioned, figure out how your professor writes. jeez.

KRob87

Postby KRob87 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:52 pm

what the fuck do all these weird codes mean?

his post was a bit tl;dr for me but TITCR.

akili

Postby akili » Thu May 19, 2011 3:53 pm

KRob87 wrote:what the fuck do all these weird codes mean?

his post was a bit tl;dr for me but TITCR.

tl;dr = too long; didn't read
TITCR = this is the correct/credited response

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 19, 2011 3:56 pm

KRob87 wrote:Haha, I liked the "slut shaming" comments. Not quuuuite where I was going with that. I should have explained a little better. However, first please notice, I did not use the word "slut." A bunch of you guys did tho...

Yeah, but we don't hate sexually active women. I love sluts. LOVE THEM.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu May 19, 2011 3:59 pm

bjsesq wrote:
KRob87 wrote:Haha, I liked the "slut shaming" comments. Not quuuuite where I was going with that. I should have explained a little better. However, first please notice, I did not use the word "slut." A bunch of you guys did tho...

And also you can slut shame without physically using the word slut. It's not like you have to follow a chick home on a walk of shame with a giant "SLUT!" poster or anything.

I'm not trying to dispute the validity of what you were trying to say - that sleeping around will have an effect on your reputation in a small community that may come back to haunt you later - but the comment about how you, specifically, would side-eye that kind of reputation while hiring is what made me kind of side-eye you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 19, 2011 4:07 pm

bjsesq wrote:

This.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu May 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu May 19, 2011 9:39 pm

bjsesq wrote:

TITCR

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu May 19, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm kind of loving this thread. Would love to hear more about how my "reputation" will prevent me from getting hired.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 am

akili wrote:
clone22 wrote:
rad law wrote:

+1.

Thank God.

Seriously. ASW was a shitshow for me.

KRob87

Postby KRob87 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:52 pm

czelede: "physically" call somebody a slut... really?

Bless

Postby Bless » Wed May 25, 2011 1:08 am

FWIW, my buddy who attends FSU law advised me to NOT sleep with girls in the law school. He said he was sleeping with a girl from class, it didn't work out, and then the majority of his section started hating him and thought of him as a dirtbag (LMAO x 10). He said it took an entire year for some of them to start warming back up to him.

BeaverHunter

Postby BeaverHunter » Wed May 25, 2011 11:57 am

This thread is meaningless without pics.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 pm

You type and think like a 5 year old.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed May 25, 2011 3:40 pm

OP YFWGI

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”